Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Old Oct 22, 2004, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Yes, there is a grocery market in the shopping center in the town of Waikoloa Village (not to be confused with the HWV on the coast), which is about a 10 min drive up the hill from the HWV (there is a sign, but hang a left onto Hwy 19 and the hang a right at the heliport. There's a few restaurants in the complex as well.

In Kamuela to the north, there is Merriman's, which is my favorite restaurant on that side of the island.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
In Kamuela to the north, there is Merriman's, which is my favorite restaurant on that side of the island.
There is now a Merriman's at the Kings' Shops:
http://www.waikoloabeachresort.com/f...mansmarketcafe
Old Oct 22, 2004, 4:55 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Tenacious
There is now a Merriman's at the Kings' Shops:
http://www.waikoloabeachresort.com/f...mansmarketcafe
Ah, thanks, that's good to know. I'm not sure if the menus are the same, though (Italian-Med at Waikoloa, and the Kamuela is what we call "Hawaii Regional Cuisine").
Old Oct 22, 2004, 7:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Dinner at Merriman's in Waimea is justification for the trip to Hawaii even if you didn't do anything else while there! It may be a 30 minute drive from HWV, but it's worth it. We dined there last October on our honeymoon and it was exceptional. Great seafood. Mrs. MileKing ranks it #1 of ANY restaurant she has been to and I would put it in my top 10. I can assure you it will beat anything you will find at the King's Shops.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:46 pm

Cafe Pesto

Spent a week at HWV in Sept. For a great value and great food, Cafe Pesto in Kawaihae for lunch is hard to beat. Dinner is good too, but more crowded and more $$.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 3:15 am

Get the Sukiyaki meal (for two) at Imari (Japanese restaurant onsite) in the resort. (Menu: http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com...menu_imari.pdf)

It was perfectly sized for two (I can be a rather "hungary" guy, thus we did have some nigri on the side which were quite good as well) and get a two-thumbs up from both myself and the ladyfriend for quality and pricing (considering where we were, and quantity and quality of the ingredients). FWIW, we are well versed in Japanese cusine.

If you'd like a more romantic setting, avoid seating at the Teppanyaki section, go later in the day, seat at the sushi bar section, and take the table by the water side. Evening breeze from the water adds in the atomsphere. ^
Old Oct 23, 2004, 8:02 am

The hotel has four wonderful restaurants. We love Provision Company above the big pool. Great bar and outdoor patio as well. Some people complain of the cost. Well tip the valet, drive to Kona cost three dollars each way in gas and your out $10. I'll pay an extra ten and walk to dinner and walk back. No car hassle. The restaurants at the Kings shops are great and if it's not to warm a great walk especially after dinner a nice stroll back.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 5:09 pm

Assuming you want to save some money on meals, first I would say avoid the The Landing at HWV - we tried a burger and pizza there and both were dreadful.

Better off going down the road to the bar at Marriott Outrigger - similar food at the same price ($8 -$12) and much better, in our experience. Plus they have live music there at night.

There is a subway, mexican restaurant, dairyqueen, fish & chips restaurant, pizza place, and a starbucks at the King's Shops. We picked up subs one day and brought them back to the pool and ate at the Mexican place another day for lunch.

In Kona, the Kona Brewing Company is very reasonable and great food - we've gone there all three times we've been to HWV and have always had good, reasonably priced meals.

The Costco in Kona has $1.50 for a hotdog and coke. $2.00 pizza slices or $10 for an entire pizza. Plus Kona has a lot of fast food places.

If you're looking to spend a little more, I'd recommend Jameson's by the Sea, Huggos, and Roys. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals at all three.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, M&M FT, AA, 9F, HH Silver...
Chocolate Soufflé at Roy's

Was at HWV last year, and aside from the Gold Lounge breakfast (make sure to get the access card at check in) and occasionally getting back in time for the Gold Lounge evening 'reception' (or what ever they call it), all meals were consumed off the premises. Then again, we were there to discover the island, not to be stuck at a resort.

As mentioned by others, I can indeed recommend Roy's (chain website http://www.roysrestaurant.com) at the Kings' Shops http://www.waikoloabeachresort.com/shops.php . Not cheap but certainly worth for the quality you get. We did not reserve (2 people), so no table was available, but we were suggested to eat at the bar. If your party is small enough, I would even recommend eating at the bar. Excellent service and staff, not to mention the exquisite food. Leave enough room for desert, I certainly advise "Roy’s Melting Hot Chocolate Soufflé" for chocoholics.

As FlyinHawaiian wrote, the nearest supermarket is off-resort (i.e. local price) is in the real Waikoloa Village, basically on the other side of Queen Kaahumanu Hwy. It is a relatively modest supermarket, but all the basic food groups are available (cannot remember whether it was any particular chain). All major chains are present in Kailua-Kona, mainly along or just off the Queen Kaahumanu Hwy.

By the way, at HWV don't bother with valet parking, it is not worth the price, wait can be long and I have seen how they handle the cars (if you self park, you need to walk through the valet parking section). And remember that getting from your room to the front desk, can take up to 15 minutes walking (or if you are patient enough to wait for the train or boat even longer), depending which tower you stay in.

Enjoy the stay!
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:41 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MBM3
Mrs. MBM3 and I will being visiting the Hilton Waikoloa Village next week for 5 nights after a quick stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.
so where did YOU end up going?
Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
so where did YOU end up going?

We leave on Wednesday morning, so I will let y'all know when we get back next week.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:42 am

Pahui'a

For a great romantic dinner try the Four Seasons. Get there about 30 minutes before sunset and enjoy the view from the beach. We went last year and had a wonderful meal from an outside table right next to the beach. The meal was not anymore expensive than the Japanese Restaurant at the Hilton.

http://www.fourseasons.com/hualalai/...ns/dining.html
Old Oct 26, 2004, 7:30 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
Originally Posted by McBill
Leave enough room for desert, I certainly advise "Roy’s Melting Hot Chocolate Soufflé" for chocoholics.
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that.
I won't be back in Hawaii until 2006 (earliest) but just remembering the Melting Hot Chocolate Soufflé and my mouth is watering
Old Oct 26, 2004, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I have a recent trip report that covers the HWV and the Big Island over at the Hawaii board, but to quickly summarize some good eats:

* Request a Lagoon Tower room if you will be coming and going to/from the HWV during your stay. If you can upgrade, request a dolphin lagoon/bay view...not a good eat per se, but will save you alot of time
* Pahu i'a at the Four Seasons Hualalai is a must-do for a romantic sunset dinner, but call for reservations - showing up unannounced at sunset will probably result in a long wait for a table or a table located away from the beach and view, although as noted, you can hang around at the bar and soak up the atmosphere. Don't forget your souvenir menu flashlights
* Izakaya-Kai in Kona is a must-do for excellent Japanese
* Kona Plate Lunch for some decent local food, but only if you're super hungry
* Although I was not there, I have heard good things about Hale Samoa at the Kona Village Resort, and I have it on my list for next time
* One of my best meals was on the Hawaii Forest and Trail tour to the summit of Mauna Kea - not for the food, but for the whole experience of eating dinner camp-out style under a tent at the abandoned Sheep station on the cool, moist slopes of the mountain.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC Elite, Flying Blue Gold
All the deserts at Roy's are delicious!

How about the ribs in a restaurant in the King's Shops - can't remember the name of the restaurant unfortunately.

Food in the Hilton Waikoloa is so overpriced !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.