Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2003, 2:22 am

Great post. Let me add a few things. We were actually pleantly surprised with our garden / volcano view. We could have upgraded to ocean the next day, but we enjoyed the wildlife in the early AM.

In hind sight, we made the right choice. I would still have taken the garden view over the ocean view because the sunsets (at least while we were on the island) always set behind the clouds and were significantly less than spectacular. Maui on the other hand has truly magnificant sunsets. (Northern Canada still has the most colorful sunsets by far).

We found the few bugs to be very tolerable, just an occaisonal roach here and there, other than that, not a problem problem but still not acceptable.

We found the place booked solid as well, but very sparse. I feel it's because of the shear immensity of the place. It's just less dense than most places so that many people spread pretty well. It seemed kind of dead in fact. But the lobby was always packed around noon, so you knew there was much going on.

Gas is actually 3 blocks down on the left towards the entrance when leaving the resort. It's clear the timeshare scumbags have their hooks in the area because god forbid they put up a sign and display some advertising. I guess a small Shell sign is a big no no in a condo community. Better to cover it up with palms and bushes. It is there though - albeit tucked away.

We didn't try the eggs cooked by the capuccino machine, but I've heard lately the frother makes a nice batch of scrambled.

Congrats and good health. Did you ever get to the luai at the King's Resort? Totally awesome.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 2:40 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
We are spending the last 6th night here tonight. FYI, me and Mrs. gpapadop are Gold. With us are a 6 year old and a 16 month old.

Some uptodate commentsfor those coming:

-Lagoon Tower still closed for "soft" renovations.
-No ocean views in Ocean Tower available at time of check in, given room at the Palace Tower and promised to call tomorrow morning to let me know of availability.
-Called to inform me no ocean views available, but partial views/golf course view available for similar room (king bed with pull out sofa). We took it. A little bigger room and now much closer to the lounge, quite happy with it. They called again to inform no ocean view the next morning. By that time, we did not care too much to move. No big deal for us, we hardly spend any time in the room anyway other than sleep and shower.
-Palace lounge for HH members still closed, given executive access lounge access keys to the Ocean Tower without having to ask.
-Many people make a big deal about the walking. I LOVED the walking, perfect distances for exercise in a VERY beautiful setting, I especially loved walking to the Spa to use the exercise rooms at 6 am
-6 year old LOVED the pools and the slides!
-Got champagne gift to our room (had showed them marriage license to prove 10 yr anniversary), very nice touch.
-Never ate here, we are not people who will spend this kind of money for food. Instead we loaded up on the lounge food. Breakfast was OK, nice coffee and the regular crappy carb crap...BUT plenty of fruits. Lunch had only cookies for food, kids ate them. Dinner was a pleasant surprise, they had mostly awesome chicken wings and lots of fresh veggies, we just ate our dinner here
-Hapuna Beach was awesome.
-The only bad thing about this place was the laundry experience, try not to have to do any here, it's sad.

Off to the volcano tomorrow for two days on the east part of the island.

For 100k this was one of the best vacations we ever had. for 175k, well we 'll think about it
Old Nov 10, 2003, 9:39 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Thanks for the trip report MileKing and congratulations. Appreciate the time and effort put in to giving the rest of us a preview. I'll be there in a couple of months now!
Old Nov 10, 2003, 11:39 am

I went there about two years ago. Didn't eat at any of the fine dining options on site.

Here are a few recs:
-We really enjoyed Roy's. I thought it was less than the onsite options, and the service/food was great.
-Bamboo was another great restaurant about 30 minutes away down the coast. The surrounding area is beautiful.
-Take the helicopter or plane for the volcano. We drove, it was an exhausting day.
-Check out the beaches nearby. Hapuna was awesome.
-Either buy/bring some snorkel equipment before you go, or go to Snorkel Bob's. Resort prices are outrageous.

We were pleasantly surprised at how much we liked the big island though, and would go back.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 1:07 pm

Programs: IHGPlatinum, Marriott Silver
Thanks for the excellent report...and congratulations!

My friends and I will be at HWV the week of Thanksgiving on an ALON. Thanks for all the info. We are trying to figure out what to do for Thanksgiving dinner. Wrote the resort, and they sent us the options that they would be having...2 buffets and special menus at Kamuela Provision Co. and Donatoni’s. Didn't know Roy's was next door. I have enjoyed all the meals I have had at other Roy's locations, so I will call them to see what they have going on.

Wonder if the resort will absorb the crowds that week...or how the Diamond upgrades will work during a popular time. Guess we'll see!
Old Nov 10, 2003, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; SPG LT Platinum
Thanks for the great reports - one quick question I haven't seen directly answered in earlier threads. Are the King's shops (with Roy's, the food court etc) walkable if one does not have a car?

Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2003, 12:38 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
there is a shuttle that takes you to the Kings Shops for a buck. Runs non stop all day long. We have a van and would never ever consider not having a rental here, just way too much to see in this island. We just got to Hilo and we are going to the volcano tomorrow and drive back to Kona from the north side on Wednesday to catch our flight home...This vacation here ranks way up there with us:-)

[This message has been edited by gpapadop (edited 11-11-2003).]
Old Nov 11, 2003, 7:08 am

Location: Port Angeles, WA, USA Unwanted by AS, Hilton-Diamond, Starwood Platnum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">there is a shuttle that takes you to the Kings Shops for a buck. Runs non stop all day long. We have a van and would never ever consider not having a rental here, just way too much to see in this island. </font>
We were there in September and I totally agree that this is no place to be without a car. We got a real good deal on a convertable at Alamo using the code 6t or t6 can't remember which.

Costco is the place to load up on snacks, food and gas. It's just a couple of miles from the airport so you can fill up your rental car there before returning it. Allow a little extra time as there can be lines. Costco's not that easy to find. I think it was the second stoplight past the airport (towards town) turn left up the hill take the second right, down about 3 or 4 blocks. Just ask for directions as everyone knows where it is.

------------------
"A day without FF Miles is like a day without SUNSHINE"

[This message has been edited by Superd1 (edited 11-11-2003).]
Old Nov 11, 2003, 7:16 am

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
If you don't have a Costco membership, there is a Walmart along the main highway in Kona that is really great for snacks, film, disposable cameras, and anything you forgot to bring. They also have reasonable rates for 1-hour photo processing, and do a good job.

Tania
Old Nov 11, 2003, 11:44 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Very nice trip report, great info.

------------------
Visit FlyerTalk Dining http://flyertalk.com/diningfr.shtml
Old Nov 22, 2003, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
HWV Shampoo = Acid?

I often bring back with me extra bottles of shampoos/conditioners/soaps from trips. They come in handy when visiting friends/family drop in and use my guest bath.

After spending over 70 nights in hotels this year though, I decided to clean-up and reduce my shampoo/conditioner collection. While all the Neutrogena stuff is fine from my Hilton and Hyatt stays, the tropical stuff from the HWV spa ate through the bottom of the plastic bottles.

I'm not sure how it happened (or how long it takes --the bottles are from 3 possible trips to HWV in the last 3 years) but in all the HWV-specific products, the ingredients inside dissolved the bottom of the container and leaked itself out. Not sure if the bottles were bad or if the ingredients are acidic, but it makes for an interesting science experiment (...and makes you wonder if those bottles should be dated with expiration dates.)
Old Nov 22, 2003, 7:41 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
So it's not male-pattern baldness afterall. My husband will be relieved.

Actually, I'm curious which brand this is. I haven't stayed at the HWV in several years, but I'm sure I still have some of their little bottles around.
Old Nov 22, 2003, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:

Actually, I'm curious which brand this is. I haven't stayed at the HWV in several years, but I'm sure I still have some of their little bottles around.
</font>
It's their own brand (or at least bears their name) from their on-site spa.

I used some while I was in Hawaii and loved there... but I'd have to think twice about using leftovers at home long after my trips.
Old Nov 22, 2003, 9:48 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Is it that brown gooey coconut stuff? Hmm, I have a few bottles of that left, better make sure it hasn't soiled whatever bag it is in now!
Old Nov 22, 2003, 10:37 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
So it's the stuff they sell too ... not what's in the rooms. I'll have to check for it and see if we have any messes. Maybe get my son to stick his pH meter in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.