Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors such as broken links, for example to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2003, 8:45 pm

Yeah, the thing is that some many properties are truly great. Like our stay at the Hilton Niagra Falls 2 weeks ago. Simply outstanding. When we see it done right at so many times, we are often dissapointed when some properties don't meet our expectations.

For what we pay for HGVC properties and Hilton points, we'll never give up the program, but we do try to let others know what to watch out for.

I'm not sure if the 4 seasons is our style, but I'd like to try it.

Sheraton Maui was incredible and blew the Walkalotta away I must say.

[This message has been edited by PaulGQ (edited 10-28-2003).]
Old Oct 28, 2003, 12:08 am

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
I'm at HWV right now on an ALON (arrived on Sunday, 26 Oct). Diamond VIP so they gave me the 8th floor (top) of the Ocean Tower (which I guess is the norm). Nice view of the lagoon, Palace Tower, and Pacific in the distance. Very nice resort. Very large resort. Great for kids. Great for walking off dinner. I can see where it would not suit all tastes, but I like it. I'm here till Saturday, 1 Nov, when I head to HHV for 2 nights. Anybody else here now or will be at HHV 1-3 Nov? Let me know.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Paul,

Did you ever post your HHV review? I searched but couldn't find it.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 10:54 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PaulGQ:
The place is a one hitter. Good to visit once, never to return again.</font>
I'll be going for the 12th time next spring. It's heaven for kids.

Walking is OK too, because the place is beautiful and otherwise you'd gain weight on vacation. Time spent walking at HWV is hardly "wasted". Unless you are alone, I suppose, in which case 100% of your vacation time is wasted.

I suppose if one is hard to please and looking to be pampered, there are better places to go. If you don't like HWV, I'm sure you wouldn't like Southwest Airlines either, but I do.

Tram count has varied in the past and they may go back to 2 when the hotel is full. The original design was for 3 trams, which is what you need to eliminate the need to walk.

The only cutbacks I have a real beef about are layoff of the reservations staff and closure of the Ocean Towers lounge to non-Diamonds.

By the way, if you have kids, the prevalence of other kids of all ages is a real advantage...
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:06 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by luv2go:
The latest issue of Conde Naste Traveler has the rankings of top hotels and resorts in the world, based on reader feedback. The Hilton Waikoloa was ranked in the top 20 (number 19) of all resorts in the Pacific Rim, which includes Australia, French Polynesia, as well as Hawaii. I believe it was also ranked in the top 20 last year as well.
So, while the Waikoloa may not be for everybody, it apparently does have quite a number of fans out there.
</font>
# of fans is very misleading in this case IMO.
I am assuming, but most that voted have not been to many other (if any other) of the top 20 listed. HWV gets traveled to by many, hence it gets many votes from people.

If I had only traveled to 2 or 3 fine hotels in the Pacific, the HWV would probably get a vote from me, but I've been fortunate to have been to more than 2 to 3 properties in the Pacific and the HWV does not make my top 20 list.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by attorney28:
...I think it was Sweet Willie (?) or someone else who had posted HWV - Negative here a while ago, </font>
it was me, the link for those interested: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/007309.html

------------------
Visit FlyerTalk Dining http://flyertalk.com/diningfr.shtml

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 10-28-2003).]
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:25 am

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nsx:
If you don't like HWV, I'm sure you wouldn't like Southwest Airlines either, but I do. </font>
nsx,
Your post was good until you made this statement above. If you actually "like" Southwest, i.e., think the flying experience where you stand in line many times, get no food, here the cattle mooing sounds during boarding, is preferable, then I would have to discount your opinion about the HWV. WIN has cheap fares and good routes, but it ends there. It makes me think you have some desire for unpleasant experiences. No offense here, just poking a little fun.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:48 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yyzflyer:
Paul,

Did you ever post your HHV review? I searched but couldn't find it.
</font>
I had 3-4 people ask me for the review but many more people indicated I should quit "whining" and that they felt sorry for my wife.

While I thought I would be doing everyone well by posting a detailed review, I tabled the idea since we are getting back into the swing of things here at home.

I mean I wanted to, I just don't feel like being criticized. Lately, I feel the our climate here could use some improvement so this is my form of protest.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:54 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
MIKEM, Southwest's kiosks have eliminated the wait to get a boarding pass. You can choose to wait in line (or mob) to board, or you can stay seated and jump in after the other 44 in your group (A, B, or C) board. I find that I get a better seat more consistently with WN than with any airline offering assigned seats. And I can choose to sit next to a cutie if I like.

My point is that if you look at Southwest from the narrow perspective of what it does not offer that other majors offer, you will see deficiencies. Whereas if you fly Southwest several times, get to know the system, then adjust your attitude, expectations, and strategies, you will find mostly advantages. Same with HWV.

It's like having a wife or girlfriend who is truly outstanding in several ways: you won't find happiness by constantly thinking about the one or two aspects in which someone else may be better.

My $.02.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PaulGQ:
I had 3-4 people ask me for the review but many more people indicated I should quit "whining" and that they felt sorry for my wife.

While I thought I would be doing everyone well by posting a detailed review, I tabled the idea since we are getting back into the swing of things here at home.

I mean I wanted to, I just don't feel like being criticized. Lately, I feel the our climate here could use some improvement so this is my form of protest.
</font>
Paul,
Your post has stayed active for a month now. Your journalistic artwork provoked thought. You provided a view that is seldom discussed here. 90% of the HWV threads paint a picture of this property as being better than s*x, which it is not. The property is nice and all, but one should scale back their expectations some. Realize, a good many people here are redeeming awards at the HWV. They feel fortunate they will get their "free" stay. They do not want to cause any friction and may attack if challenged. Any adults that have been there know the drawbacks. Moreover, a good many have no other experiences to compare it to and lash out defending their limited point of view. You have had many experiences to reflect upon and therefore have a more respected point of view IMHO. So, write on I say, I'm one of your fans.

Old Oct 28, 2003, 1:20 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

HWV is not better than s*x. It is however very, very nice. It was marginally nicer when it was a Hyatt (no stupid Hilton signs at the photogenic spots, for one thing).

I have stayed at the Grand Wailea and the Hyatt on Maui. Both are marginally better for adults (I found the grounds a bit too small), but if you have children, HWV is unbeatable. I still recommend that you go to the Grand Wailea just to take a photo or video of the check-in desk.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 1:32 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nsx:
but if you have children, HWV is unbeatable. </font>
AGREED, also if you are a stay at the resort most of the time type traveler.

OTHERWISE, stay elsewhere.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 5:29 pm

Our family has just returned (10/26) from HWV on an ALON. This was not our first vist.

As a fellow FT'er suggested we had read all the posts prior to our first vist, so we knew what to expect.

Roaches, we have only seen one, by a drink machine, dead.

Trams, Two were running, small wait but, we were on vacation and no one was in a hurry.

Prices, no one said you have to pay these prices. There are many great restraunts in the area and lovely scenery enroute.

In conclution, no, its not perfect, but my family enjoys it and we will return.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 6:17 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

A fellow FTer's suggestion to purchase a $6 ice chest at Kmart or Costco was the key to saving big bucks on our last visit. On the last day, we left it outside the door for some other guest.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 7:58 pm

We spent 10 days at HWV last month for our anniversary. We're pretty picky and know exactly what we like. Here's what we really liked at the HWV.

Gorgeous sunsets, lots of chairs including easily located shaded chairs, breeze, shade, many different places to sit and swim, shade, food okay, lounge okay, easy to get around, took us less than 7 minutes to get from 6th floor Ocean tower to front desk and we walked it several times daily, no problem with self-parking, shade, great view from our balcony, good walking areas, pleasant but unobtrusive service, really nice grounds, easy to find privacy.

I don't get the walking complaints, we're hardly in great shape and aren't big walkers but the distances, assuming you explored and found the shortcuts, were modest. The first day the distances seemed daunting, but after that, not so. Plus, how many times does one use the lobby? We took day trips, didn't find that there was a lot of value in driving around looking for better drinks. Too far for too little gain, and Kona certainly is nothing to write home about. Did I mention the shade? You may think we're nuts, but, we burn very easily and my husband gets sun-poisoning even when he uses SPF 45 sunblock so we appreciate the shade. At every other resort we've ever visited, one had to block a chair with towels and books by 8am to have a shady spot all day. There were rarely more than 5-10 shady chairs in an entire resort. HWV must have 50 that are shaded all day and 100 that are shaded parts of the day. Of course the adult pool has zero such spots. But we never found the lagoon or the other two pools or the hot tubs very full even though the resort was fully booked.

------------------
Jan
Old Oct 29, 2003, 6:15 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dudrop:
Our family has just returned (10/26) from HWV on an ALON. This was not our first vist.

As a fellow FT'er suggested we had read all the posts prior to our first vist, so we knew what to expect.

Roaches, we have only seen one, by a drink machine, dead.

Trams, Two were running, small wait but, we were on vacation and no one was in a hurry.

Prices, no one said you have to pay these prices. There are many great restraunts in the area and lovely scenery enroute.

In conclution, no, its not perfect, but my family enjoys it and we will return.
</font>
We must have been there at the same time as we were also on an ALON and left HWV on 10/25. I can assure you that two trams were NOT running at all times. There were a number of occasions when only a single tram was running. That, plus the fact that the tram locator terminals were inaccurate or not working about 75% of the time, was frustrating to say the least, regardless of whether one finds the walk from the Ocean Tower to the lobby long or reasonable. (I haven't heard anyone say it is a short walk, and it isn't.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.