Wiki Posts
Search

Should i buy bonds today or next sat ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2002, 11:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Should i buy bonds today or next sat ?

with my DL AMEX since they are running the weekend double promotion from nov 15 ? i know the date bought would be sat or sunday but the posting might happen any day..
Old Nov 17, 2002, 12:29 pm

I bought mine yesterday and will wait and see if they post with a weekend date. I sure hope so for the sake of double miles. Otherwise I woudl have charged them to my Starwood card. Personally, I would wait until next Saturday morning if I were you.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 12:45 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I predict that this will be the last promo that Amex runs based on posting date, rather than purchase date. They will be bombarded by complaints by customers who correctly claim that the purchaser has zero control over the posting date. I expect that the software for the current promo will be re-written and bonus miles credited based on purchase date either on request or en masse.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 2:07 pm

The last two times I purchased bonds, I happened to do it on a Saturday morning. On both occasions, I immediately received a confirmation email stating "The order you placed with Savings Bonds Direct has been approved and is currently being processed." In both instances I received a second email on the following Tuesday stating "We wanted to let you know we received payment for your savings bond order...." Both times my Amex statement showed a posting on the Saturday purchase date. It seems as if they get the approval code from Amex immediately but wait unti the money hits their account before forwarding the order to the Federal Reserve Bank for printing. It appears Amex shows an immediate posting when Savings Bond Direct seeks the approval for the purchase.
Old Nov 18, 2002, 3:50 pm

Though this reply doesn't answer the original question, I thought it would be useful to read the "fine print" for this offer. Especially the limit of 20K points for this promo. So here it is directly from AMEX website:

**Enrollment required.Qualifying transactions include all purchase transactions dated on Saturdays or Sundays between 11/15/02 to 12/31/02. For Internet and mail order purchases, transaction dates may be based on shipment dates. Please allow 8 to 12 weeks after the promotion for the bonus SkyMiles to be posted to your Delta SkyMiles account. Purchases made on Saturdays and Sundays from 11/15/02 to 12/31/02 are only eligible for one bonus offer. Bonus SkyMiles earned as part of this promotion are limited to 20,000. Balance transfers and Express Cash transactions do not apply. This offer is available to Classic Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers, Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Cardmembers, Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers, and Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers only. In each year of Cardmembership, your miles are limited to $60,000 of eligible spending ($100,000 for Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers, unlimited for Platinum SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers), not including bonuses. All standard Delta SkyMiles program rules and conditions apply.
Old Nov 18, 2002, 4:31 pm

Does this mean that I can only buy 10K worth of bonds (and get 20,000 miles) or can I buy 20K in bonds since I am only getting 10K bonus on top of the normal 10K for the $1 for $1 spending that's normal?
Old Nov 18, 2002, 11:02 pm

1 - I did a test run on Saturday morning with a $50 savings bond. I confirmed with AMEX today that the purchase also posted on Saturday, and therefore qualifies for double miles.

2 - The limit for this promotion is 20K bonus miles, in addition to 20K regular miles. In other words, charging $20K yields 40K miles, which is th max. These are the same limits as the July/Aug promo. I charged $20K in bonds then, and the 20K bonus miles posted today.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:45 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by toddpate:
1 - I did a test run on Saturday morning with a $50 savings bond. I confirmed with AMEX today that the purchase also posted on Saturday, and therefore qualifies for double miles.

</font>
The same with me. I made a purchase on Saturday and received an e-mail on Tuesday. I then checked my AmEx account on-line and saw that the bonds posted with a Saturday date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.