Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Rome Cavalieri, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {ITA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection hotel property.

Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.

Moderator notes (do not delete)

Posts older than 2013 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Rome Cavalieri, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {ITA}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:18 am
GRM

Just back from a three night stay on points. Booked a King Deluxe back in March and requested a paid upgrade to the Imperial Club which was offered and accepted at check-in.

There were kids aged eight or nine in the club in the morning and afternoon.

Sixt were having their global annual conference in the hotel, looked to be around 500 delegates. Having been on a few corporate jollies myself, I kinda had an idea what would happen and sure enough on their last night (Saturday) we were woken at 04:00 by the party in a nearby room. The front desk eventually got them to quieten down and we were offered a €56 comp on our Sat night room service bill when checking out.

Taxi from Fiumicino was €50. Taxi's to and from the city ranged between €9 (Hotel>Vatican early morning) and €30 (Trevi fountain>Hotel 10pm). The only Uber options were Black or Lux and were estimated at €30+ so didn't bother using them.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by GRM
Just back from a three night stay on points. Booked a King Deluxe back in March and requested a paid upgrade to the Imperial Club which was offered and accepted at check-in.

There were kids aged eight or nine in the club in the morning and afternoon.

Sixt were having their global annual conference in the hotel, looked to be around 500 delegates. Having been on a few corporate jollies myself, I kinda had an idea what would happen and sure enough on their last night (Saturday) we were woken at 04:00 by the party in a nearby room. The front desk eventually got them to quieten down and we were offered a €56 comp on our Sat night room service bill when checking out.

Taxi from Fiumicino was €50. Taxi's to and from the city ranged between €9 (Hotel>Vatican early morning) and €30 (Trevi fountain>Hotel 10pm). The only Uber options were Black or Lux and were estimated at €30+ so didn't bother using them.
Hi GRM,

Can you clarify please, did your paid upgrade place you on to the Imperial floor, or was it just daily access to the lounge? Also, how much was the paid upgrade?

I have a points stay here next September, but I booked an Imperial floor room a quite a hefty points redemption (180K per night). I'm wondering if it's better to book a standard room at 80K per night and pay for an Imperial floor upgrade, saving 200K points.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:19 am
GRM

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Hi GRM,

Can you clarify please, did your paid upgrade place you on to the Imperial floor, or was it just daily access to the lounge? Also, how much was the paid upgrade?
I paid 63,000 points per night when booking and €128 per night (€114 + €7pp tax) at check-in to be upgraded to the Imperial Floors (we were given #849 with a Rome view).

€128 sounded like a lot but in hindsight, with breakfast running at €45pp and drinks being €18 for a G&T, we probably broke even.

HTH.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by GRM
I paid 63,000 points per night when booking and €128 per night (€114 + €7pp tax) at check-in to be upgraded to the Imperial Floors (we were given #849 with a Rome view).

€128 sounded like a lot but in hindsight, with breakfast running at €45pp and drinks being €18 for a G&T, we probably broke even.

HTH.
Thanks, something for me to think about...is it worth $300USD to save 200K points... Also, I will be there in September, so I'm guessing it's much busier then and prices may be more than you paid. A standard room for September is 80K and not the 63K in points you paid; need to dust-off my crystal ball for this one.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Thanks, something for me to think about...is it worth $300USD to save 200K points... Also, I will be there in September, so I'm guessing it's much busier then and prices may be more than you paid. A standard room for September is 80K and not the 63K in points you paid; need to dust-off my crystal ball for this one.
$300 to save 200K points... any day for me..
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:57 am

I managed to snag an excellent promotional rate for this property in March (EUR 150++/night) for a base King Deluxe Room.

I am not expecting any upgrades since the property is now showing completely sold out on 1 of the nights we are there, but what other benefits can I expect as HH Gold? I see that HHonors has extended the breakfast benefit to W-A properties, but any experience as to what the hotel is actually offering for this? Any other on-property discounts or similar?

Also, the IHG Pointbreaks features a property in Rome for 10000 pts (Holiday Inn Aurelia) which is fairly out of the way from the tourist sites. Keeping in mind the excellent rate I have managed to snag (and its flexible too!), I presume that the Cavalieri would still be the preferred hotel for those that know Rome and this particular property?

Finally, we have a 430pm flight out of FCO on our departure date (a Tuesday). How long should we budget to get to the airport with the least hassle (presumably Uber or taxi would be best as we will have 2 suitcases between us)? Are they likely to permit a checkout time somewhere around 130pm assuming that is a sensible departure time?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
I managed to snag an excellent promotional rate for this property in March (EUR 150++/night) for a base King Deluxe Room.

I am not expecting any upgrades since the property is now showing completely sold out on 1 of the nights we are there, but what other benefits can I expect as HH Gold? I see that HHonors has extended the breakfast benefit to W-A properties, but any experience as to what the hotel is actually offering for this? Any other on-property discounts or similar?

Also, the IHG Pointbreaks features a property in Rome for 10000 pts (Holiday Inn Aurelia) which is fairly out of the way from the tourist sites. Keeping in mind the excellent rate I have managed to snag (and its flexible too!), I presume that the Cavalieri would still be the preferred hotel for those that know Rome and this particular property?

Finally, we have a 430pm flight out of FCO on our departure date (a Tuesday). How long should we budget to get to the airport with the least hassle (presumably Uber or taxi would be best as we will have 2 suitcases between us)? Are they likely to permit a checkout time somewhere around 130pm assuming that is a sensible departure time?
First of all, congrats on scoring an incredible rate for the Cavalieri! I don't know what you should expect as a HH Gold, but I can assure you that compared to a Holiday Inn, this property will knock your socks off. The public areas have museum quality art, the grounds are incredible, and if you score a city view room...

I too am curious about the breakfast overall. My last visit was when Diamonds still got a free full breakfast downstairs which had a substantial spread, but more recently has been charged a premium.

Personally I would probably leave closer to 1:00 than 1:30, but yes, a taxi or Uber is your best bet.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
We took an arranged car via WA to FCO - I believe it was 30-35 minutes to the airport.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Plat Elite, Hertz 5*
I will be visiting in August. I've read the thread and a few other postings on here, however, I am still confused as to whether Diamond members have access to either of the Lounges (Imperial or the other) regardless of room (I've gone for the cheapest option). Anyone able to enlighten me?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:52 am

No confusion, regardless of tier status, you WILL NOT receive Imperial Lounge access if you do not book or receive an upgrade to the Imperial Floor. Hope this helps in your room choice decision.

Originally Posted by DarthPalmer
I will be visiting in August. I've read the thread and a few other postings on here, however, I am still confused as to whether Diamond members have access to either of the Lounges (Imperial or the other) regardless of room (I've gone for the cheapest option). Anyone able to enlighten me?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Plat Elite, Hertz 5*
No confusion, regardless of tier status, you WILL NOT receive Imperial Lounge access if you do not book or receive an upgrade to the Imperial Floor. Hope this helps in your room choice decision.
Thanks. Aren't there two lounges? If not the Imperial Lounge, is there access to the other?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:43 am

I don't believe there are two lounges (someone with first-hand knowledge may correct me though). This isn't a Hilton, WA's don't typically have "Executive Lounges." Most Gold/Diamonds are given a dining benefit at one of the on-site restaurants, so the best you can hope for is being upgraded to the full breakfast and not the continental. Also, if having Imperial Lounge access is important to you, then you can "negotiate" a daily rate for access...may cost 50 Euro or more daily per person.

Thanks. Aren't there two lounges? If not the Imperial Lounge, is there access to the other?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
When the property was still a Hilton and until roughly 2008 or 2009, DIA would get upgraded to Imperial Floor or have access to the Lounge on the Imperial Floor. Shortly after that, and before the conversion to WA - given how popular the hotel was with HHonors members, hotel indeed had a secondary lounge on the main floor or the basement where non-Imperial floor HHonors guests would be directed. Conversion to WA and higher redemption levels somewhat took care of issues that this hotel once had...
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
When the property was still a Hilton and until roughly 2008 or 2009, DIA would get upgraded to Imperial Floor or have access to the Lounge on the Imperial Floor. Shortly after that, and before the conversion to WA - given how popular the hotel was with HHonors members, hotel indeed had a secondary lounge on the main floor or the basement where non-Imperial floor HHonors guests would be directed. Conversion to WA and higher redemption levels somewhat took care of issues that this hotel once had...
I've only stayed here a few times. Once when they still had the HHD Lounge downstairs, which was nice enough with access to the patio and served some food and drinks during HH and had a coffee machine and snacks available the rest of the time. It was a nice benefit since the Imperial Lounge was off limits to those not staying in the eligible rooms. I've also stayed in the Imperial rooms with access to the named lounge. Nice, for sure, with higher end offerings, but not blow your socks off kind of quality, IMHO.

All that said, looking forward to a yet to be planned revisit. The views of Rome from the upper floors are truly spectacular while sipping some nice chilled Prosecco (when in Rome...).
YOWCDNFF and SPBanker like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
First of all, congrats on scoring an incredible rate for the Cavalieri! I don't know what you should expect as a HH Gold, but I can assure you that compared to a Holiday Inn, this property will knock your socks off. The public areas have museum quality art, the grounds are incredible, and if you score a city view room... I too am curious about the breakfast overall. My last visit was when Diamonds still got a free full breakfast downstairs which had a substantial spread, but more recently has been charged a premium.
Just a quick update. We got upgraded (as HH Gold) at check-in to a Deluxe Room with Rome City View - which is spectacular. Breakfast benefit is for the full breakfast buffet in L'Uliveti restaurant downstairs - an exceptional spread as well. Very helpful and friendly staff everywhere. Excellent value, especially for the great rate I got!
Jaimito Cartero likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.