Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Rome Cavalieri, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {ITA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection hotel property.

Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.

Moderator notes (do not delete)

Posts older than 2013 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Rome Cavalieri, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {ITA}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:29 am

"And you won’t find a better value for HH points in Rome."

Not sure I would call 80,000/night points a "value". However, the other Rome properties are overpriced, so the statement is correct.
ChinaShrek likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jabez
"And you won’t find a better value for HH points in Rome."

Not sure I would call 80,000/night points a "value". However, the other Rome properties are overpriced, so the statement is correct.
I still remember when the "Rome Hilton" was 40,000 points per night. That was good value.
YOWCDNFF likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Diamond booked here at the end of April in a family room. Is the 126 Euro e-standby price per person to have access to the lounge each day or does the price cover all the people in the room? Since it’s the end of Easter week, I’m worried standby availability may be low.

I am considering switching to two imperial floor rooms for access, but haven’t decided yet.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles
It’s 126 Euros / room. We did it during our spring break trip in 2017 and ended up cancelling access after 2 days because we were out after breakfast all day. The cost wasn’t justified. Your schedule may be different. If you are hanging around hotel more, then it’s very nice to be able to access it. It’s a beautiful lounge with nice presentation.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by jzafar
It’s 126 Euros / room. We did it during our spring break trip in 2017 and ended up cancelling access after 2 days because we were out after breakfast all day. The cost wasn’t justified. Your schedule may be different. If you are hanging around hotel more, then it’s very nice to be able to access it. It’s a beautiful lounge with nice presentation.
Thanks so much for the info. I’m glad to know we can cancel if we aren’t using it.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:05 pm

Where is the e-standby upgrade request located at? I just reviewed our confirmation email and don't see it. Did I miss it?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by kwcinnc
Where is the e-standby upgrade request located at? I just reviewed our confirmation email and don't see it. Did I miss it?

Sometimes I don't see it in the confirmation email. It's like the opportunities are less and less. You may receive an email shortly before your stay offering it.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:28 pm

Have the choice of spending one night here next Thursday, or one night at Hilton Aleph Curio Collection. We are 2 friends in our late 20s, and are leaning towards Aleph (We already have it booked, but are considering switching to Waldorf) and don't necessarily mind taking an uber or shuttle down to the city (or even doing the hour long walk in beautiful Rome!). Our understanding is that the Waldorf is a bit dated, but it is also a "true" 5* hotel, a la St. Regis, and it's also not at capacity (which Aleph is and we are currently booked into a base comfort room). As a HH Gold, is it worth switching to Waldorf in hopes of getting a room upgrade or staying at Aleph in a base comfort room (which looks incredibly small) ?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kthpence
Have the choice of spending one night here next Thursday, or one night at Hilton Aleph Curio Collection. We are 2 friends in our late 20s, and are leaning towards Aleph (We already have it booked, but are considering switching to Waldorf) and don't necessarily mind taking an uber or shuttle down to the city (or even doing the hour long walk in beautiful Rome!). Our understanding is that the Waldorf is a bit dated, but it is also a "true" 5* hotel, a la St. Regis, and it's also not at capacity (which Aleph is and we are currently booked into a base comfort room). As a HH Gold, is it worth switching to Waldorf in hopes of getting a room upgrade or staying at Aleph in a base comfort room (which looks incredibly small) ?

This property is a resort on a hilltop overlooking Rome. It has museum quality art in it's lobby, and the rooms are truly 5* (although, as you mentioned, a bit dated). It's an experience for sure, but it is impossible for me to tell if it's worth it for 1 night in Rome vs. the Curio. I've only stayed there as a HH DIA, not a GLD, so I've been treated very well.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
This property is a resort on a hilltop overlooking Rome. It has museum quality art in it's lobby, and the rooms are truly 5* (although, as you mentioned, a bit dated). It's an experience for sure, but it is impossible for me to tell if it's worth it for 1 night in Rome vs. the Curio. I've only stayed there as a HH DIA, not a GLD, so I've been treated very well.
Yes regardless, I feel like this is more of an aspirational property using points than the Aleph, even in the base room. Leaning towards switching to WA.

Last edited by kthpence; Mar 29, 2019 at 1:27 pm
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:06 pm

The WA's breakfast downstairs and lounge are amazing. The public bus is also easy to take. Choose the WA.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, American Platinum, Southwest A-list
Stay at the Cavalieri

Originally Posted by jabez
The WA's breakfast downstairs and lounge are amazing. The public bus is also easy to take. Choose the WA.
I couldn't agree more. The breakfast downstairs is the best breakfast I have ever had in my entire life. Imagine rooms full of wonderful food, fresh pastries/bread, fruits of all sorts, meats, an Asian section, champagne...all in an elegant old world setting. The shuttle bus is also quite convenient. If I recall correctly, it drops off and picks up in Barberini Square. We asked the concierge for a recommendation on a reasonably priced restaurant, and he referred us to a lovely establishment a short walk from the Square. I'm sorry I can't remember the name, but there are also lot of lovely cafes and gelato shops near the Square.

As to the location of the hotel, it is located on a hill top overlooking the city. Please do yourself a favor and try to get a room with a Rome view. When we went, we were celebrating my parents' 40th wedding anniversary, and I sent a nice email to the concierge kindly requesting a room with a Rome view for my parents, if available. They wrote back indicating that occupancy was quite high on our dates, but they would do their best to make it a memorable occasion. We we arrived, we were delighted to discovered that they upgraded my parents to a Rome view room and even had a bottle of bubbly on ice with a nice hand written note congratulating them on their anniversary!

I would not let the location of the hotel discourage you from staying. It is only a 10 minute taxi ride from the Vatican to the hotel, and after a full day of walking around Rome and being surrounded by throngs of tourists...it is heavenly to arrive at your hilltop retreat and surround yourself with spacious, luxurious accommodations. I'm sure you and your friend will have a wonderful time in the Eternal City, and I have no doubt that a stay at the Cavalieri will enhance your trip with a relaxing stay and lasting memories!

P.S. If you do decide to stay at the Cavalieri, please come back and let us know how you enjoyed your time at the Waldorf!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:55 pm

Decided to book the Cavalieri and pay 80 euros for an upgrade to the Rome View as I didn't want to chance banking on my status to upgrade. Used 80k points for the night, but now it's at 77k ... can I ask Hilton to refund me the 3k points (nominal but still not nothing) or should I cancel and rebook?
teemuflyer likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by kthpence

At the Aleph I had my worst stay at a hotel ever, while the WA is good, all in all. For some reasons Rome is a much better place for restaurants and ice-cream parlors than for hotels.

The breakfast at the WA is much, much, much (add some more 'much') better than the breakfast at the Aleph (in every aspect: Service, quality, variety). Or in other words: I would pay for the breakfast at the WA, while the Aleph would have to pay me to try the breakfast at the Aleph again.

The character of both hotels is very different. As already said, the WA is located outside the city on a hill, but with nice views, garden, pool and an excellent restaurant. The Aleph is located in the city, close to public transportation and close to places of interests. The guests tends more to be born in the late 20's than being in the late 20's at both hotels.

As you said, that you don't mind taking a taxi or an Uber, I would definetely recommend the WA. But don't try to walk the whole way. It's not good for your knees to walk downhill that much and if you like to walk uphill so much, your kind of lifestyle maybe doesn't match with both hotels.

Btw: Guided Segway tours in Rome can be fun.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:32 am

There is also the shuttle that takes you into the city from the WA and also picks you up again. Their website/concierge can give more details on time/schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.