Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Rome Cavalieri, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {ITA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection hotel property.

Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.

Moderator notes (do not delete)

Posts older than 2013 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Rome Cavalieri, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {ITA}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by shmom
I am looking at reservations for either December break or Spring break. I can actually get a lot more bang for buck here than at the Curio property. My husband is concerned with the distance from town and how easily the shuttle works and the time it takes. We have two young teenage boys who are pretty picky eaters (although spaghetti is on their list). I just wonder if this is a good choice for us? The family room is a great option at 107,000 points but it isn't available our dates in December but is in April. Even with it being a premium rate for 5 nights is a good return vs. 640,000 it would cost us for 5 nights in two standard rooms. I also could utilize the $250 resort credit and a free night voucher. But the Curio was silly points, I think it rang up as a million.
Would love some thoughts for family travel at this hotel - I also have been on such a Chase rewards and Hilton roll that my husband said the boys are burnt out on big trips. Sigh...
The shuttle service runs hourly from the hotel starting at 8:30 am. The last time I stayed it dropped passengers at Piazza Barberini but I understand it now drops at Via Veneto. It's a quick 10-15 minute ride into town. You can line up ahead of time just outside the main entrance but once the shuttle is full, you'll have to wait for the next one. I had friends staying in the Prati district last fall (about 10 minutes from the Vatican) so I took a taxi each morning from the Cavalieri into town and it averaged 6-10 Euros which I thought was quite reasonable and only took 5-6 minutes. As far as food, I can tell you I had the best ham and cheese sandwich of my life at the Cavalieri. I checked in just before noon and tried to order a club sandwich from room service. They delivered a ham and cheese, on white bread with the crusts cut off, on a domed serving plate. It was $24 expensive but I plan on ordering it again my next trip! Otherwise, you could plan on eating at some of the neighborhood restaurants which are a 10 minute walk from the hotel (but still up on the "hill"). Enjoy your trip!
shmom likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:51 am

Taking a public bus is easy and convenient. This is especially good because the hotel shuttle stops so early. Great breakfast and love the lounge. It's a bit out, but so worth the stay.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titan., Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres
Looking at an early November 4 night stay. Aside from the obvious benefits of a better room and view, are there benefits to booking an Imperial Room that a Diamond would not already have access to? It sounds like the Imperial Club and Grand Spa access come standard for DIA.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HKBelonger
Looking at an early November 4 night stay. Aside from the obvious benefits of a better room and view, are there benefits to booking an Imperial Room that a Diamond would not already have access to? It sounds like the Imperial Club and Grand Spa access come standard for DIA.

Thanks for the help.
I'm not sure how you have come to the conclusion that the Imperial Club is included for DIAs reading this thread, or from anywhere else, but it is not. This is W/A property where lounge access is not a stated DIA benefit, unlike a Conrad or Hilton, for example.

Also, be careful of what type of room you book. Being a DIA doesn't guarantee a Rome View even when booking an Imperial Room. You can chance it, of course, and might get an upgrade.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by HKBelonger

Thanks for the help.
I'm a Diamond member and staying there next month. W-A doesn't ascribe to upgrades, lounge access, and free breakfast like many Hiltons and Conrads, where status has some benefit. Maybe I’m wrong. If you want lounge access, you will need to minimally book an Imperial Room. I also purchased my room with the full buffet breakfast for two. That way, we are free to eat in either the restaurant or the lounge, seven nights, $3,000 all in during a recent sale.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sharkbait2514
I'm a Diamond member and staying there next month. W-A doesn't ascribe to upgrades, lounge access, and free breakfast like many Hiltons and Conrads, where status has some benefit. Maybe I’m wrong. If you want lounge access, you will need to minimally book an Imperial Room. I also purchased my room with the full buffet breakfast for two. That way, we are free to eat in either the restaurant or the lounge, seven nights, $3,000 all in during a recent sale.
The rules have changed relative to breakfast for DIAs... Waldorf Astoria Breakfast Benefit Launches Jan 1, 2018

DIAs do indeed get breakfast at the Cavalieri for free at the restaurant.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:20 am

I am wondering how the "complimentary continental breakfast" differs from the more expansive buffet breakfast? Guess I'll find out in August.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
I am wondering how the "complimentary continental breakfast" differs from the more expansive buffet breakfast? Guess I'll find out in August.
when we were here in Jan 2019, it was the full breakfast buffet.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:28 am

There are two kinds of breakfast at the WA Cavalieri: At the restaurant L’Uliveto and at the Imperial Club, As long as you don't book a rate which includes access to the Imperial Club (or pay extra for the access), you get the breakfast at the restaurant L’Uliveto. And at the restaurant L’Uliveto they offer the same kind of breakfast for all guests. The term "continental breakfast" is sometimes used for a downgraded breakfast. That is not the case here.
serfty likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:18 pm

The downstairs restaurant has a GREAT breakfast. Agree, as opposed to my first few times there, DIA doesn't guarantee much more than special check in. After they stopped upgrading, I paid the extra $ for the lounge. It's one of the bests. In my opinion it was worth it (especially since I used points for the room.).
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Staying here tomorrow for 2 nights and really looking forward to it. Just checked the app now and we got the upgrade to the Imperial floor that I requested right after booking a few months ago. €584 all in now for the stay

No Rome view currently, but will see what I can get when we arrive

——
Edit
——

No further upgrades upon checking in. I didn’t expect much after reading this thread and also checking the availability online

Room we got is very nice with a great view - I was expecting a view of a wall or car park

Some snacks now in the Imperial Club lounge before enjoying the spa facilities later on today

Welcome note indicates that robes are not permitted in the lounge, which is a nice change after the last 2 days in the Hilton Milan

We were also offered breakfast (or 1,000 points) in the normal restaurant should we wish, as part of being HH Gold. This directly counters what it said in the app (until a few weeks ago at least) along with what the twitter team told me a couple of months back. They said that this WA was not part of those benefits
Michael19887 likes this.

Last edited by pmarrsouth; Jul 14, 2019 at 7:50 am
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Anyone know the late afternoon/evening hours of the lounge?

Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by beachfan
Anyone know the late afternoon/evening hours of the lounge?
Closes at 11pm according to their website
beachfan likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Stayed here 7/13 - 7/16 with a mixture of FNC, Points & a cash night (partially reimbursed by the Aspire Resort Credit). A slight aside is that Hilton need to introduce a tier above Diamond now that it comes automatically with the Aspire. I actually have 80+ nights so far and it kind of grates that someone with a credit card is afforded the same status.

Thoughts on the hotel;
  • No upgrade on arrival, not even to a Rome view which was slightly disappointing. We did however get a welcome gift of Prosecco & Chocolate strawberries which was nice.
  • I really enjoy the styling of this property. I know folks on this thread have commented that it is not sleek etc, but I appreciate the paintings and grand Roman designs in both the lobby areas and the room. Some really great paintings.
  • The breakfast is probably the best I've ever had at a hotel. Truly incredible selection of items both hot and cold as well as beverages. It’s 35 euro I think I recall if you’re paying for it so this is a real tangible benefit for Diamonds.
  • Sadly breakfast time was a zoo for the most part. Lots of kids, lots of adults behaving like kids. Truly I struggle with how people justify the nightly rate this property charges and bring children to it who will likely have no appreciation for it. It really does take from the atmosphere unfortunately.
  • The pool area is nice, however space is at a premium so if you intend on lounging by the pool for the day I would advise getting down there quickly. Prices are egregious but to be expected, the Pinot Grigio offers the best value at 31 euro/bottle if you do intend on having a drink.
  • An additional Diamond benefit is access to the Turkish Baths which was very nice but not sure I’d pay the money they were asking for access (50 euro maybe?). Definitely nice to have a sweat/steam/soak after wandering Rome for the day.
  • Taxi’s cost on average 15-18 euro to get to/from the hotel and major tourist centers. Little bit more from Travestere and the Coleseo. Can’t speak to the shuttle as we didn’t use it. Download the FreeNow app to order taxi’s using a credit card (not always an option for cabs hailed off the street)
  • Foodoo and Ristorante el 384 are two decent options within walking distance if you don’t fancy going into Rome for food/dining at the hotel.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Stayed here 7/13 - 7/16 with a mixture of FNC, Points & a cash night (partially reimbursed by the Aspire Resort Credit). A slight aside is that Hilton need to introduce a tier above Diamond now that it comes automatically with the Aspire. I actually have 80+ nights so far and it kind of grates that someone with a credit card is afforded the same status.

Thoughts on the hotel;
  • No upgrade on arrival, not even to a Rome view which was slightly disappointing. We did however get a welcome gift of Prosecco & Chocolate strawberries which was nice.
  • I really enjoy the styling of this property. I know folks on this thread have commented that it is not sleek etc, but I appreciate the paintings and grand Roman designs in both the lobby areas and the room. Some really great paintings.
  • The breakfast is probably the best I've ever had at a hotel. Truly incredible selection of items both hot and cold as well as beverages. It’s 35 euro I think I recall if you’re paying for it so this is a real tangible benefit for Diamonds.
  • Sadly breakfast time was a zoo for the most part. Lots of kids, lots of adults behaving like kids. Truly I struggle with how people justify the nightly rate this property charges and bring children to it who will likely have no appreciation for it. It really does take from the atmosphere unfortunately.
  • The pool area is nice, however space is at a premium so if you intend on lounging by the pool for the day I would advise getting down there quickly. Prices are egregious but to be expected, the Pinot Grigio offers the best value at 31 euro/bottle if you do intend on having a drink.
  • An additional Diamond benefit is access to the Turkish Baths which was very nice but not sure I’d pay the money they were asking for access (50 euro maybe?). Definitely nice to have a sweat/steam/soak after wandering Rome for the day.
  • Taxi’s cost on average 15-18 euro to get to/from the hotel and major tourist centers. Little bit more from Travestere and the Coleseo. Can’t speak to the shuttle as we didn’t use it. Download the FreeNow app to order taxi’s using a credit card (not always an option for cabs hailed off the street)
  • Foodoo and Ristorante el 384 are two decent options within walking distance if you don’t fancy going into Rome for food/dining at the hotel.
Interesting review. I don’t think you should be surprised that lots of families are traveling during the summer. If you want an adult only hotel, there must be locations that they exist.

I think Hilton has enough status levels as it is. I only feel I get the best benefit out of Diamond in Asia. It often seems largely ignored in other parts of the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.