Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection {ITA}

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection {ITA}

Old Oct 6, 1999, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles MM, HHonors Gold, Avis, Hertz
Arrow [ARCHIVE to 2015] Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection {ITA}

Any opinions on this property? Is it worth $280/night? Are there any other Hiltons in Rome? How likely am I to get an upgrade (I am Gold)? Traveling 2-nd week of November.
Old Oct 6, 1999, 3:22 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's fine and and fact very nice, but way out in the 'burbs and away from all the "action" if you like that kind of thing. Personally I'd much prefer a more central city loation and so don't recommend it!
Old Oct 7, 1999, 12:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
we stayed at the cavalieri for a long weekend last october.

the hotel is pretty big and - depending on what's going on - can take on the air of a large big city convention hotel (they have exhibition and ballroom space downstairs).

the food was pretty good; the landscaping is nice and they are very close to the vatican. but as doc points out, being close to the vatican means they're far from nearly everything else... although they do have a bus every half hour or so that takes you into central rome. journey time is about fifteen minutes. the bus, however, is small and strictly capacity contolled. when the bus fills up, they close the doors and take off ...and you have to wait for the next one. so don't count on it if you absolutely have to be somewhere.

as a diamond member, i don't believe i received any special upgrade - the room was rather small and ordinary. your chances of getting an upgrade are probably not that good. then again, you'll be there at the beginning of a shoulder season, so you may get lucky.

unfortunately, i don't believe there are any other hiltons in rome.

on points, i'd recommend the hotel in a heartbeat, although i believe it's now classified as a premium hotel. for three hundred bucks a night cash money (presumably your own and not your company's), stay elsewhere!
Old Nov 8, 1999, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I could not agree more on the Hilton in Rome. I had been dying to stay there for its views, etc. BUT when we actually did, it cost us a fortune for transportation into the city. You CAN take public transit but it took the subway and 2 buses to get back (not to mention the time)and you still have a 3 block walk. The hotel does NOT provide a shuttle on Sundays at all. Cabs are ridiculously expensive and parking, as everyone knows, is almost non existent in downtown. Nice hotel, seemed like a good idea on the hilltop but not very practical. Look for a place near the subway. You won't be sorry. Use your awards for St. Lucia!
Old Nov 22, 1999, 1:35 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I stayed there on my honeymoon back in 98. We used the 100,000 point Hilton deal. They upgraded us to the top floor, free food in the morining, great level. The top floor restaurant is amazing... BUT TOO FAR AWAY FROM EVERYTHING. If you want to stay in Roma after 9pm.. it will cost you to get back.. TAXIs are crazy.. they will ripp youoff every chance they get
Old Nov 25, 1999, 11:50 pm
In Memoriam

Is it worth $280/night?
I realize I'm in a minority here, but I have trouble believing any hotel is worth $280. Certainly when I'm paying for it myself, but even when I was working and it was the office's wallet I couldn't justify that kind of expense.
Old Apr 18, 2000, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton, Marriott & SPG Platinum & a whole lot of other programs...
Rome Hilton

Has anyone ever stayed at the Rome Cav. Hilton (Not the Airport one, the one in town) It looks like a nice resort type hotel and close to Vatican, etc. I was able to book a GLONP Certificate there for August. (VIP 6 Free Nights - Premium Hotel) Its for my parents. The only issue is that with the Certificate they only offer rooms with 2 single beds. Any chance of getting a Queen / King or at least 2 doubles. I am Gold VIP so may be able to get something upon arrival (My father has the same name so I'll lend him my card; I dont feel guilty since it's a reward stay and I'll get no points) I was just hoping to confirm something better prior to arrival.

Any comments on this Hotel would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2000, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
The Hilton is located in the hills, behind the Vatican. It's location is extremely inconvenient to virtually all places of tourist interest, including even the Vatican. There is no public transportation nearby -- even the bus routes are about five blocks away. Starwood has two fantastic hotels right in the center of town, and most of the other international chains are there too.
Old Jul 29, 2000, 1:46 pm

Cavalieri Hilton Rome

Has anyone stayed at the Cavalieri Hilton,club floor?
Good choice in Rome?
Old Jul 30, 2000, 5:25 pm

A wonderful hotel. My stay this summer
on points got me to the executive floor,
which was fantastic, italian marble, and
designer toiletries to name just a few
of the amenities. Also I got champagne and
wine three times, and other delicasies on
other days. The only problem as you will
read is the distance from the hotel to the
city. It is annoying to deal with taxis,
but the hotel and the excellent service
made up for everything. E-mail
me if you need more info.
Old Oct 15, 2000, 10:15 am

Hilton in Rome?

Has anyone redeemed at this property? I was debating between Barcelona and Rome. I would prefer to stay in Rome, but the hotel does not look that nice (says its 5-star, but...).
Old Oct 15, 2000, 11:38 am

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
If you're upgraded to Club level and don't mind the distance downtown it's great! Spectacular view. Top notch Michelin starred restaurant with al fresco dining!.

BCN is a standard Hilton "by the dozen" hotel, fairly centrally located in the Pedralbes area (Good for shopping). No facilities to speak of nor restaurant. It will probably cost you half of what the Cavalieri's likely to charge you though.
Old Nov 14, 2000, 8:49 pm

Rome Cavalieri

Has anyone been to the Cavalieri? I am gold and going in December using points.
Old Nov 15, 2000, 7:24 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: UA1K MM, HHonors Diamond + many more
I was there for 4 nights in June and they really took care of my wife and I. The property is fantastic and the staff was outstanding. Have a great time.

------------------
Cheers Scott
Old Nov 16, 2000, 1:05 am

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
Nice hotel, on a hill in a residential neighborhood, a little removed from the central area. I enjoyed the property.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
LAX, LHR, et.al.

[This message has been edited by World20 (edited 11-16-2000).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.