Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Rome Cavalieri, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {ITA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection hotel property.

Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.

Moderator notes (do not delete)

Posts older than 2013 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Rome Cavalieri, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {ITA}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by Kacee
You can't with Hilton. Only other options are HGI or the Hilton FCO, and neither of those is in the center nor "almost as nice" as Waldorf. Perhaps Marriott or SPG, both of which have 4 and 5* properties in the historic center.
If you have any Marriott points to burn the Boscolo Exedra Rome is a Marriott Autograph property and is beautiful. Walking distance to almost everything, a subway stop right outside the door, and a 10 minute walk to the Central Train Station (Leonardo Express straight to FCO). I did 3 nights there and 3 nights at The Cavalieri... I'll never stay anywhere but the Boscolo ever again.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: Hilton DIA / SPG Gold / Hyatt Plat
any recommendations for off-property dinner in walking distance

thanks in advance
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Ristorante Da Luciano was good Italian food at very reasonable prices and full of locals.
Its a ten minute walk. Come out of main hotel entrance and turn right continue to end of road and turn left where main shops are
At the end turn right and walk up hill it is at the top on the right
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by krlcomm
If you have any Marriott points to burn the Boscolo Exedra Rome is a Marriott Autograph property and is beautiful. Walking distance to almost everything, a subway stop right outside the door, and a 10 minute walk to the Central Train Station (Leonardo Express straight to FCO). I did 3 nights there and 3 nights at The Cavalieri... I'll never stay anywhere but the Boscolo ever again.
I would recommend both hotels, Cavalieri and Exedra. Both will be my favorite hotels for future stays in Rome. Stayed last Oct. some nights (80K Diamond rewards+€310 cash upgrade by hotel, triple occ., per night for Rome view Imperial room, lounge access) at Cavalieri and at Exedra (Panoramic view room 45K MR points+€210+extra bed €85 as far as I remember). Cavalieri is very impressive and relaxing. Exedra is very exciting and stylish.

For Rome Cavalieri I recommend "Rome view" rooms or better "Rome view Imperial" which is on floors 7 and 8 so you have the full city view above the trees (and Club access to the renovated Imperial lounge, my last day there in Oct. was the final day before renovation started). Very impressive the view to the city and the gardens in front. After 2 or 3 times there (like me) if you like the hotel itself you could book other views/suites e.g. Alcove suite. Please note that in the back of the hotel there is a transmission tower. Cheaper rooms will have view to it.

Here some impressions and pictures of my Rome stay (from my post in the Luxury Hotel forum):

Pictures Cavalieri:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27793335-post17.html

Pictures Exedra:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27793384-post18.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27792949-post16.html

Rome Cavalieri - 4 nights

Imperial room/floor/club. Best club lounge I ever experienced, 4-5 waitresses always reading every wish from your lips, continuous snacks, fine cakes and sparkling wines. Fantastic Rome view. Great resort with mediterranean gardens and some pools, tennis, biggest spa in Rome. Shuttle service 20 mins to Piazza Barberini (stops also at Harrys Bar Via Veneto). Grand Hotel with impressive art collection, visited by many high class locals and good business people from Rome, American beauties, 3* Michelin restaurant. Excellent "American style" (= international level) service.

Boscolo Exedra - 1 night

Italian style luxury hotel with life - the new Dolce Vita place! In-crowd frequented. Interesting people, seen and be seen, rich and beautiful Italians who are high class or believing to be high class sitting in the lobby and outside on the terrace. Always life! Super breakfast. Piazza Republicca, some steps to Via Veneto. Had Panoramic room (front view). Great bathroom. Service "Roman" style, but excellent. Our hotel!

Hotel Indigo - 2 nights

Boutique style hotel. New. Small rooms. Near Piazza Navona and Vatican. Location ok and if you are member of IHG rewards club (benefits, point rates). I would not stay here again but the location was perfect for our purposes to visit Vatican and Piazza Navone/Panteon area.

St. Regis
- no stay

Some steps from Exedra. Ugly entrance direct at the main street. We entered the hotel (after check-in to Exedra) as we planned afternoon tea and were disappointed. Boring and unexciting lobby, no life. This should be a St. Regis? Then I don´t need to stay at a St. Regis. We went to Westin Excelsior 5 mins away to have Champagne and cakes. But do not stay there, it is dated and its best times are gone as all what is at Via Veneto.

Last edited by submonte; Mar 5, 2017 at 6:33 am Reason: Pictures Exedra added; wrong link tp post
Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles
Great post!

Wow Submonte!! Thanks for the detailed post! I am a Hilton Diamond and have been admiring this hotel for years. We are going later this month for Spring Break. Will have 11 year old kid. I went back and forth between this hotel and the Exedra many times and finally decided on this due to larger room size and free stay with points. I have requested paid upgrade to Imperial room or Alcove Suite via the Estandby option. I really hope they can accommodate us. I really want to relax on this trip but see the sites when we want to and enjoy the spa. I do not like how there is no coffee maker in the room. I have emailed the hotel numerous times and they respond quickly and very professionally. I have seen the restaurant menus and prices are sky high. I like the privacy and separation from people just walking in off the street but lose that ability to run outside the hotel and grab a cheaper meal option. I'm sure we'll figure it out and just try to plan accordingly regarding meals.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
The Spa is great in this property superb steam room with cold plunge in the middle and the Gym is good too, very large and lots of machines.

I agree no coffee maker or kettle in room is annoying especially as a coffee round the pool was €10 !

Lounge access is a must if I did not have it I would not stay here

Diamonds used to get breakfast for €20 instead of €36 don't know if this is still available but breakfast is very nice and if it's warm enough you can eat outside under parosol cover by the poolside.

Hotel is out of the way set on top of a hill but the shuttle bus was fine, it took about 20 minutes to Barbarini square and you can walk to everything quite easily.

Diamonds get two free drinks vouchers per day

Hope you enjoy , let us know how it goes
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Nice one night stay on my way to Firenze.
Very friendly check-in.
Drink voucher.
Upgraded from standard room to room with Rome view (5th floor).
I really like the rooms here, not least the bathrooms (you have to not mind seeing yourself from all angles - mirrors all over...).
Very nice breakfast either in the very nice breakfast room or outside on the terazzo (booked breakfast included rate - would be daft not to; it's well worth it).
Internet worked fine this time.
Only complaint is still the lack of coffee/tea making facilities - I'm not up to much in the morning before my cup of tea
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:54 am

Really appreciate the new posts regarding stays. I am super psyched on this trip. I emailed the hotel asking what are the chances of getting the e-standby upgrade to Imperial lounge floor and was told they "can't visualize" this until arrival.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:02 am

Can someone please confirm if American plugs work in the outlets? I know they don't in UK and France.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jzafar
Can someone please confirm if American plugs work in the outlets? I know they don't in UK and France.
Nope as a norm, unless they have installed some American power outlets as a convenience. I would bring an adapter and small power strip just in case.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:22 pm

Get an adapter/converter. Stayed in Oct. 2016 and our suite didn't have compatibility for US plugs. We just bought some converters on Amazon.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tys90
I had always had this hotel on my list to stay at if I was in Rome. Took advantage of the good Europe airfares and am going to be in Rome 5 nights. Seemed perfect to redeem points for 5th night free here but I'm having second thoughts after reading through this most recent thread. Upscale/5* is always nice but if I can get something almost as nice but in a better location and for less points, I tend to lean that way.

Silver status, first time Rome visitor, is it worth it to burn the points here?
Absolutely worth it to us. I don't think I would do this on my first trip to Rome however due to the remote hilltop location, and desire to be in the midst of the local sites. But we like the resort-like feel of the property and it's a world away from the busy city center. After touring the city during the day and then coming back to the hotel oasis at night, it was wonderful. Downside is the lack of dining options in the area as compared to the city and overpriced food and beverage at the hotel.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: HH LifeTime Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt, AA, Delta
request a kettle for your room

FWIW, if you don't get the upgrade to Imperial - you can just request an electric kettle. We brought our own coffee pods, teabags, and stainless steel travel mug and made tea/coffee in our room whereever we pleased during our weeks of travel in 2014. The trick was "hiding" or storing the device and cups in the closet when not in use so the Cavalieri maid would not remove them and we be inconvenienced by requesting their periodic replacements. They will provide add'l sugar, creme, etc. when the kettle is delivered, if requested. This actually stemmed from being very partial to my PGTips brand tea, so I always request kettles.

Wow Submonte!! Thanks for the detailed post! I am a Hilton Diamond and have been admiring this hotel for years. We are going later this month for Spring Break. Will have 11 year old kid. I went back and forth between this hotel and the Exedra many times and finally decided on this due to larger room size and free stay with points. I have requested paid upgrade to Imperial room or Alcove Suite via the Estandby option. I really hope they can accommodate us. I really want to relax on this trip but see the sites when we want to and enjoy the spa. I do not like how there is no coffee maker in the room. I have emailed the hotel numerous times and they respond quickly and very professionally. I have seen the restaurant menus and prices are sky high. I like the privacy and separation from people just walking in off the street but lose that ability to run outside the hotel and grab a cheaper meal option. I'm sure we'll figure it out and just try to plan accordingly regarding meals.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Writing this from our room at the hotel! Service has been fantastic from the moment we entered, with attention to detail on par with the Broadmoor Hotel in COS IMO. We chose a "Family Room" which limited us and possibly ruined any upgrade chances, but with a family of four, the two bedroom two bath setup was all I needed. Communication with the hotel was fantastic prior to our arrival, in fact we even setup a sitter for the kids so that my wife and I could have a date night this evening via the hotel. I don't mind using a taxi back and forth as they are cheap, and a relatively short ride. The Restaurant 10 minutes walk away was very good, and don't laugh, but serves incredible cheeseburgers!

Alarm clock has two USB plugs, bathroom has a 120 volt plug, but my wife's straitener prefers the adapter and 220. There is a 220 American plug above the desk as well. Spa pool is nice, my kids use it daily. Outdoor pools aren't open for the season yet.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: Hilton DIA / SPG Gold / Hyatt Plat
booked king deluxe with breakfast as diamond member

arrived today early in the morning

No upgrade offered / Our room has same category as the confirmation

No early check offered. 3 pm. thats it.

We had paid breakfast for the arrival day ( normaly as diamond im invited for breakfast at early arrival )
No Service for 10 minutes
as we wanted to order some fresh made omlets with onions and herbs we first get told that its too busy and we should take the plain omlets from buffet by ourselfes in a unpolite way.

This is not how to be treated in a luxury waldorf chain hotel.

A least they delivered a bottle of prosecco and a handwritten apology in the evening

For me it will be one of the last hilton stays.

I have the impression points and status loosing its value from month to month.

Last edited by heiniheini; Apr 2, 2017 at 7:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.