Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:18 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Silver, BMI Diamond Club Silver.
Guys, thanks for all your responses, When I booked the Room i had the opportunity to book either a Mini Suite or the Astor Suite, but went for Astor Suite as that was a little more expensive, so I thought it would be bigger/better, but interesting now I've found out the room is quite small. For context HH are saying i can upgrade to a 1 Bed Exec Suite for $109 a night extra, might have to consider doing the upgrade as conscious I might be coming across as a bit of a scrooge . Merry Christmas everyone.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Even if you were diamond, pay for the upgrade if you want it. I have only stayed at the property once and wasn't upgraded, but I know other Diamonds that stay there a couple times a year and don't get upgraded.

Seeing it's a special occassion and you are travelling that far, I would just pay for the discounted upgrade.

Remember that upgrades are "space available" and suites aren't included.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by LeedsSimon
Cheers Thunderroad, I took your advice and rang Hilton WorldWide reservations and they said they can't add any additional comments or update my reservation as i've already paid for it. I had mentioned it was for a special occasion when i first made the booking, but turns out that the original Hilton booking agent forgot to add comments on. Next stop is to try W=A in house reservations again with what you suggested.
Wow, I'm dumbfounded that Hilton doesn't have the capacity to enter new information for a reservation if it's been paid for. Well, I've learned something new; sorry this situation is a hassle for you. If you have a chance, I'd be interested in how it goes with WA in-house reservations.

Originally Posted by LeedsSimon
Guys, thanks for all your responses, When I booked the Room i had the opportunity to book either a Mini Suite or the Astor Suite, but went for Astor Suite as that was a little more expensive, so I thought it would be bigger/better, but interesting now I've found out the room is quite small. For context HH are saying i can upgrade to a 1 Bed Exec Suite for $109 a night extra, might have to consider doing the upgrade as conscious I might be coming across as a bit of a scrooge . Merry Christmas everyone.
Not to complicate matters further, but I believe the Waldorf Towers is supposed to have the best rooms...or something to that effect. As long as you're exploring upgrades, maybe check out that option? I actually haven't stayed at the WA, so if my info is wrong or incomplete I hope someone here will correct me on this point.

Anyway, happy holidays!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:33 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Not to complicate matters further, but I believe the Waldorf Towers is supposed to have the best rooms...or something to that effect. As long as you're exploring upgrades, maybe check out that option? I actually haven't stayed at the WA, so if my info is wrong or incomplete I hope someone here will correct me on this point.

The Waldorf Towers is a separate hotel. Upgrades from the W=A are rare, although they might happen in an oversell situation.

If you can get an exec King 1 BR suite, take it. I believe that's on the 26th floor so you get the lounge access for breakfast and evening snacks, and a very spacious suite with large living room and King bedroom.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:19 pm

Using "free night" certificates at Waldorf - paper certificate

I won a pair of "free night" certificates through one of HHonors twitter contests, and they advertised them as usable at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC. I booked a weekend stay (non-pre-paid) there for the weekend before Valentine's.

My impression is I present the certificates at checkout and the cost of the room is wiped out. Is this right? If so, would this be an eligible stay for the current 5,000 point promotion for weekend stays (because I'm not using points)?

I've looked around for information on how this works and most of what I found was concerning "free nights" linked to your account which you can book online. These are actual paper certificates that I'm supposed to present in person. So...how does this work? The certificate says it is good for a "standard" room, but the only rooms available at Waldorf (cheapest ones) are "Deluxe".

This is definitely a noob question, but I'll feel better knowing the answer and not getting stuck with a multi-$$$ bill when they won't take my FNCs!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Originally Posted by giantreesemar
I won a pair of "free night" certificates through one of HHonors twitter contests, and they advertised them as usable at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC. I booked a weekend stay (non-pre-paid) there for the weekend before Valentine's.

My impression is I present the certificates at checkout and the cost of the room is wiped out. Is this right? If so, would this be an eligible stay for the current 5,000 point promotion for weekend stays (because I'm not using points)?

I've looked around for information on how this works and most of what I found was concerning "free nights" linked to your account which you can book online. These are actual paper certificates that I'm supposed to present in person. So...how does this work? The certificate says it is good for a "standard" room, but the only rooms available at Waldorf (cheapest ones) are "Deluxe".

This is definitely a noob question, but I'll feel better knowing the answer and not getting stuck with a multi-$$$ bill when they won't take my FNCs!

Did you call Hhonors to make the reservation or did you just book online?

You must call the number on the certificates and speak with a representative at Hhonors who will book the reservation for you using the certs. You can't book online and then just show up with the certs and expect that the hotel will take them.

Once the representative has booked the stay you will receive a confirmation email. You should print this email and take paper copies of the certs with you when you check-in (depending on when you won the certs you may have to give the hotel paper copies).

When you check-in you will have to put a credit card on file for incidentals, one check-out day your bill will be slipped under your door and will reflect only room charges (i.e. valet, restaraunt, room service, etc.).

If there aren't any standard rooms available it is possible that the agent will book you in an upgraded room. Occassionally I get a presidental suite this way. But your mileage may vary. Worst case you must pick another hotel.

You may be able to use the certs at the Towers at Waldorf as well. I think that technically they are different hotels but they are on the same lot. You should do a search to for the NYC Waldorf thread here to learn more about the properties.

Your question about the points will likely have been addressed in the 2012 Q1 Promo Thread.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
You can't just book a room normally, you have to call in. The instructions are on the certificate.

Please follow these four simple steps:

1: Print this Reward Certificate and keep it in a safe place.

2: If you haven't already made your reservation, please call to make your Reward Reservation. When calling from the U.S. or Canada, for reservations and participating locations contact:
1-800-HHONORS. From outside the U.S. and Canada, contact the Hilton Reservations and Customer Care office nearest you.

3: Be sure to provide the reservations agent with the Reward Code listed to the right.

4: Present this Reward Certificate to the Guest Services Agent when you check-in.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:35 am

i just booked a 4 night stay using the certs at the Boulders in Scottsdale. When i called the diamond desk the rep was able to see all of my certs an chose the 4 with the earlier expiration dates. When i asked if i needed to print and take the certs he said no it is all done electronically now the the hotel will have them in a few seconds.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even though it's an iconic historic property with beautifully restored lobby and other public areas, typical rooms here are not so nice: small and in need of renovation. OTOH, the Waldorf Towers is wonderful, even if it needs to be updated. It is a classic residential boutique hotel with many suites. However, even here, you should expect old fashioned small bathrooms, traditional furnishings and not much of a lobby.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 3:41 pm

Thanks to all for the replies. It looks like I may have gotten the name of what I had wrong - it is a "be my guest certificate" with value "1 standard room"

Their instructions read:

1. Make a reservation at any of the 3,750 properties under the Hilton Worldwide portfolio by calling the hotel or booking online
2. Make sure to only book a stay in a standard room and that it is not a pre-paid reservation.
3. Once you arrive for check-in, simply present your Free Night Stay Certificate to the front desk staff - you do not need to inform the hotel prior to arriving
4. Your certificate is valid for one free night.

I wound up calling HHonors customer service who told me that the "deluxe room" at the Waldorf is in fact the "standard room" for this purpose. So I'm all set!

And thanks to those comments about the WA - I've head that too but what my wife wants she gets
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
OP, glad you got it sorted out. Keep in mind the award certs of the old days are gone (thankfully) forever.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EP; UA 2P; Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hertz PC
I'll second an earlier post. While I'm in town twice a year, I choose this hotel and I understand many of the rooms are small and could use an update. Last visit (4Q2011) I was told they just received approval for a major renovation starting in 2012. Not sure of the details but at least it is in the works.

Breakfast in the hotel is in Oscars. While it is an impressive buffet, last time there I think they told me it was $79 per person. As a diamond you can purchase coupons for $20 per person. If it is too high, chat with the concierge. Out the back door and south two blocks or so are two alternates which are much more reasonable priced.

There is a StarBucks in the lower level but Diamonds get coupons for free drinks and pastries so there is usually a long line each morning.

Hope you have fun!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:52 pm

The certificates are still considered a reward stay and your reward stay will not be eligible or count toward the promo you are asking about to earn the bonus points.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:04 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
So here is the lounge access policy, specifically referencing W=A hotels. On what basis can they exclude Diamonds from the lounge at the W=A New York or Arizona Biltmore?

** Executive Lounge Access Policy

The following policy will apply at all Waldorf AstoriaŽ Hotels & Resorts, ConradŽ Hotels & Resorts, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, and DoubleTree by Hilton™ hotels with Executive Floor Lounges. Executive Floor Lounges are available only at select properties.

If you are a Gold HHonors guest, you and up to one additional registered guest will be granted complimentary access to the Executive Floor Lounge only if you receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor or an upgrade to a room type that confers Executive Floor Lounge access benefits.

If you are a Diamond HHonors guest, you and up to one additional registered guest will always enjoy complimentary access to the Executive Floor Lounge, even if you do not receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Explore
So here is the lounge access policy, specifically referencing W=A hotels. On what basis can they exclude Diamonds from the lounge at the W=A New York or Arizona Biltmore?
Did you get excluded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.