Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by Silk Cut
I have just returned from a 3x 50000 stay at the WA NY, based on a low season reward stay. I have to admit that I was slightly apprehensive given the mixed reviews on staff and room condition. Fortunately, I had no issues with the stay and found the staff to be polite and efficient. To summarise:

1. Check-in: quick check-in, polite reception staff. I received Starbucks vouchers for my wife and I for 3 morning visits. Drinks vouchers also obtained $20 each, in addition to 2 free bottles of water in the room.
2. Room - upgraded to Superior Room on 12th Floor. It was a corner room so felt slightly more spacious than what I was expecting. Very clean and generally in good condition - just one or two areas that needed touched-up. On our arrival to the room, we found a bottle of WA sparkling wine on ice which was a nice touch. The bed was very comfortabe.
3. Room Service - efficient, but the food was expensive and average at best.
4. Bar Staff - excellent.
5. Lobby - beautiful, however it is depressing to see that some people who have their Starbucks breakfast in the lobby cannot find a bin for their rubbish.
6. Concierge: no problems here; our bags were kept until we had to leave mid-afternoon - downstairs staff very friendly.

My wife and I had a fantastic break and would stay again at the WA. Perhaps we got lucky?
Really depressing. Must be a mistake in the concept. A legendary 5-star luxury hotel sending guests with vouchers to a Starbucks coffee house at the corner to have breakfast there. We should not complain if some HHonors Golds or Diamonds think they ended up in a wrong movie and get back to the W=A lobby with their pastries, although they should understand that paper cups laying around in the Park Avenue lobby do not fit in the art deco style image.

I mean how many Gold and Diamond members do stay per day in The Waldorf=Astoria and could get breakfast for free in the hotelīs own restaurants if the Diamond benefit T/Cs would apply? Would that blow the capacity of the restaurants? Or would that drive the hotel or HHonors into bancruptcy?

But I know what the results of such lousy voucher and Starbucks ideas will be one day in future: Saving money in the wrong place will cost The W=Aīs reputation as a luxury hotel.

So, concepts for the future should be considered instead. How about closing 10 or 20 rooms of the 1500 in the hotel and making a new large sized executive lounge (size e.g. like in the Grand Hyatt Beijing) for the W=A like the Colosseo lounge in Rome Cavalieri with access right for paying guests as well as for Gold and Diamond members? And creating another brasserie with a more modern concept like Le Caprice in The Pierre with prix fixe menu for lunch and dinner.

Last edited by submonte; May 8, 2011 at 11:06 am
Old May 9, 2011, 6:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by submonte
I mean how many Gold and Diamond members do stay per day in The Waldorf=Astoria and could get breakfast for free in the hotelīs own restaurants if the Diamond benefit T/Cs would apply? Would that blow the capacity of the restaurants? Or would that drive the hotel or HHonors into bancruptcy?
They average 200 Diamonds per night; throw in Golds and that number can double.
I am not trying to argue for them - just stating the facts. But this is why they don't upgrade all Diamonds and why they do not offer free breakfast/lounge access to them. They do now offer discounted breakfast at 20USD (for Diamonds only), which I find a good value. From my observation the Peacock Alley gets busy with paying customers for breakfast (mostly business people) which can cost as much as 100 for 2. Pretty good business for them.
I would be happy if they put coffee machines into rooms - no other additional benefits needed.
There are many other properties in NYC where Diamonds/Golds can stay and eat/drink for free in lounges.

P.S. And I don't think that it's only about saving money (although I may be wrong) - I just don't know where they would sit all Diamonds and Golds if they give free breakfast for them (not many people will trun down free breakfast).
Old May 9, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
I was just looked at the W=A rates for reward bookings, and it had high season rate of 37,500 a night but I just looked again today and it's back to 50k/night.

Was it a glitch or a promo?
Old May 10, 2011, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Sohan
I was just looked at the W=A rates for reward bookings, and it had high season rate of 37,500 a night but I just looked again today and it's back to 50k/night.

what dates were you looking at????
Old May 10, 2011, 12:08 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Really depressing. Must be a mistake in the concept. A legendary 5-star luxury hotel sending guests with vouchers to a Starbucks coffee house at the corner .....
I mean how many Gold and Diamond members do stay per day in The Waldorf=Astoria and could get breakfast for free in the hotelīs own restaurants if the Diamond benefit T/Cs would apply? Would that blow the capacity of the restaurants? Or would that drive the hotel or HHonors into bancruptcy?....... How about closing 10 or 20 rooms of the 1500 in the hotel and making a new large sized executive lounge
I don't really understand all the fuss about the Starbucks vouchers. There is no stated benefit for the W=A brand to provide ANY complimentary breakfast. The fact that they give a voucher to Starbucks is a nice perk. If they didn't offer it, then there would really be nothing for you to complain about since they would still be within the T&C. If you want the free breakfast, go a few blocks away to the Hilton on 6th Ave, or even the Doubletree right across Lexington Ave.

Benefits when staying Waldorf Astoria hotels:

Expedited HHonors check in at designated desk
Late checkout based on availability
Complimentary weekday newspaper (where locally available)
Two bottles of water per stay
Complimentary health club access where available, owned and operated by the hotel
Welcome beverage (up to two guests)
One category room upgrade* (excludes suites, Napua Tower at Grand Wailea and Imperial Floor at Rome Cavalieri) and choose TWO of the following:
1,000 Hilton HHonors bonus points
One complimentary movie (where locally available)
Discount at Hotel/Resort facility - either Spa, Golf or Restaurant as designated by the Hotel/Resort management
Old May 10, 2011, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All depends on availability. I have been UG to a small apartment (entry hallway, 2 full bedrooms, full kicthen, small dining room, 2 baths) and sometimes nothing. But, they make the effort to put you into the best available. Don't be disappointed if you don't get anything beyond a bottled water. It's a hotel in a city where people drop $3-4K night on hotel rooms.
Old May 10, 2011, 12:39 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Often1
It's a hotel in a city where people drop $3-4K night on hotel rooms.
That may be a bit of an exaggeration. Sure, there are suites in some of the highest end hotels (including the Waldorf Towers) that have a few suites in that stratosphere, but.....it is certainly not the norm.
Old May 11, 2011, 2:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by PHL
[/I]
By the way, it is now 2 bottles per day!
Old May 11, 2011, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Sohan

Were you looking at a VIP reward or point stretcher?
Old May 11, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PHL
I don't really understand all the fuss about the Starbucks vouchers. There is no stated benefit for the W=A brand to provide ANY complimentary breakfast. The fact that they give a voucher to Starbucks is a nice perk. If they didn't offer it, then there would really be nothing for you to complain about since they would still be within the T&C. If you want the free breakfast, go a few blocks away to the Hilton on 6th Ave, or even the Doubletree right across Lexington Ave.

Complimentary health club access where available, owned and operated by the hotel
One category room upgrade* (excludes suites, Napua Tower at Grand Wailea and Imperial Floor at Rome Cavalieri) and choose TWO of the following:
Discount at Hotel/Resort facility - either Spa, Golf or Restaurant as designated by the Hotel/Resort management
What you say is true. The weeping and gnashing of the teeth is due to the fact that up until about 2 years ago Diamonds were given vouchers for a continental breakfast at Oscar's (which was VERY nice, by the way). The offer of a free cup of coffee, in comparison, is disappointing when one is used to the former amenity.
Old May 11, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by PHL
or even the Doubletree right across Lexington Ave.
Ewwww....don't go there!
Old May 12, 2011, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by vandalby
Ewwww....don't go there!
what's wrong with the doubletree????i've had some pretty decent stays here....
Old May 12, 2011, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by PHL

Well I guess I did not express myself clear enough.

If I want to stay in a 5 star luxury hotel in NYC I do not go to Hilton 6th Ave or DT Lexington Ave. As a regular Hilton guest my first choice is The Waldorf=Astoria, also for paid stays. If I go for business trips I might use of course other Hilton hotels of the chain.

A luxury hotel is characterized NOT by giving breakfast for free and for sure NOT by sending their guest to Starbucks at the corner, WITH or WITHOUT vouchers. Even the fact that there is a Starbucks coffee house existing in the W=A building next door to the W=A entrance is not corresponding with luxury standards. Nothing against the Starbucks brand but it has nothing to do with luxury, but with "fast food", as I can observe in Europe, and I think the concept is the same worldwide. If it would be a "Laduree" (Paris) or "Demel" (Vienna) or a very nice own "W=A Patisserie" branded coffee house, that would fit!

So my post was not about free breakfast for Diamonds and Golds but how to keep the unique luxury athmosphere and reputation of The W=A New York untouched.

Considering Diamondsī expectations and offering special prices for in house breakfast to keep the Starbucks rubbish away from the famous benchmark art deco lobby is a logical and right step. More consequent would be to modernize and extend the lounge concept by building a 2nd lounge as in Rome Cavalieri and to grant access at least for Diamonds. Another way to bring HHonors membersī loyality together with the superior standards and costs of luxury hotels could be a luxury brand club, see my post here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16343274-post80.html

Finally I have to say that Diamonds are no beggars and many will like to fully pay for their breakfast an adequate rate if the quid pro quo is in relation, especially those who stay on points because they save a lot of money as NYC accomodations are expensive and they will get a very nice room with the W=A upgrade policy, or pay a small fee for a nor1upgrade which is absolutely fair.
Old May 12, 2011, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Notenut
What you say is true. The weeping and gnashing of the teeth is due to the fact that up until about 2 years ago Diamonds were given vouchers for a continental breakfast at Oscar's (which was VERY nice, by the way). The [/URL]offer of a free cup of coffee, in comparison, is disappointing when one is used to the former amenity.
what you say has nothing to do with what I said, see my comments here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16375304-post720.html
Old May 12, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
what you say has nothing to do with what I said, see my comments here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16375304-post720.html

In my post I quoted and was referring to PHL's post, not yours

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.