Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:21 pm

deleted, company policy

Last edited by Hhonor Gguard; Dec 5, 2013 at 3:22 pm Reason: deleted, company policy
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I just checked in last night (diamond member on award stay). I got a small room with a king bed. The assistant director was polite, but not "warm" or really attentive (although we are from the same country). I said in the beginning that my luggage did not arrive with me on the flight, and in the end of the check-in process, she asked me if I needed help with my luggage.

I made a special Diamond desk arrangement reservation for four nights and they could not find it and she kept saying I had a reservation for three award nights and one paid night.

My e-mail confirmation from the Diamond desk said:

Thank you for your recent HHonors reward request. We are glad to have had the opportunity to work with you in securing a reservation for you to utilize your HHonors points. Please accept this letter as confirmation of your reservation at the The Waldorf Astoria for the nights of 15-Dec-2010 to 19-Dec-2010 for 1 room(s) for 4 nights. Your confirmation number is xxx. Hilton HHonors rewards are valid for standard accommodations.

As you know, there are a limited number of rooms available for HHonors Reward Redemption at any given hotel, on any given night. Once these rooms are reserved, no additional reward rooms are accepted. Based on your membership level in the HHonors program, we have made special arrangements with the hotel to allow you to use your HHonors points. HHonors will deduct a total of 204,000 points for the reward(s) redeemed for this stay as follows.

Reward Description Points Certificate#
VHA804 WALDORF - VIP 4 NIGHTS -204,000 xxxx
There is no need for you to request any certificates. The hotel has received notice of your arrival. At check-in, you will be asked to provide a credit card to cover any incidental charges, as well as any applicable taxes. These arrangements have been communicated to the hotel. In the process of setting up these arrangements, your account may inadvertently receive point credit. Reward reservations are not eligible for point accrual; therefore, the posting will be reversed.
The lady (assistant director) kept saying that I needed to provide a certificate and that I had a reservation for one paid night. I forwarded the e-mail from the Diamond Desk to her. As of 12:30 p.m. the next day, I have not heard anything back, so it should be interesting to see what happens at check-out.

I also noticed at check-in:

Long line of people waiting to check in at about 9:00 p.m. About 10 people acting busy behind the "reception" counters, but only ONE counter actually paying attention to the guests who wanted to check in; if you tried to go to one of the other counters, you were ushered back (this reminded me exactly of the situation and attitude at immigration in Newark shortly before, except that you would expect better at a "luxury hotel"). "Diamond reception" room closed.

As to the room, it is small (bathroom as well) and the carpet is worn. Internet does not work. I had to call and they gave me the password to use one of the neighboring rooms' internet access.

The lobby sure looks impressive.

But what is the deal with the "Diamond benefits"?

I got no lounge access, no breakfast at the hotel's restaurants, instead, one voucher per day for a drink and a bagel at Starbucks next door - are they serious? Also, a couple of beverage vouchers for the bar, and two bottles of water per stay (not per day). No mention of health club access or anything.

Is it normal that they do not provide any kind of lounge access or "real" breakfast for Diamond guests? I looked at the Waldorf Astoria brand standards on the Hilton Honors website, and of course it seems like they are within those standards, but is that really all they do? Makes the Cavalieri with their strange Colosseo lounge, but full breakfast look much better.

Overall, a disappointing experience, and I will look elsewhere for my next NY visit.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"Waldorf=Astoria" and "Diamond benefits" are not phrases often used in the same sentence, particularly I suspect at this property, unless there is a negative value. Certainly nothing about lounge access or breakfast coupons, etc. and "upgrades" are, "when available", whatever they wish to call an upgraded room.

But, here are the "Diamond benefits" from the HHonors website, always a good place to check prior to making a booking (as is FT):

Originally Posted by Hilton HHonors

Benefits when staying Waldorf Astoria hotels:
  • Expedited HHonors check in at designated desk
  • Late checkout based on availability
  • Complimentary weekday newspaper (where locally available)
  • Two bottles of water per stay
  • Complimentary health club access where available, owned and operated by the hotel
  • Welcome beverage (up to two guests)
  • One category room upgrade* (excludes suites, Napua Tower at Grand Wailea and Imperial Floor at Rome Cavalieri) and choose TWO of the following:
  • 1,000 Hilton HHonors bonus points
  • One complimentary movie (where locally available)
  • Discount at Hotel/Resort facility - either Spa, Golf or Restaurant as designated by the Hotel/Resort management

*Note: if a room upgrade is not available, the member will receive all of the above benefits
Originally Posted by attorney28
But what is the deal with the "Diamond benefits"?

I got no lounge access, no breakfast at the hotel's restaurants, instead, one voucher per day for a drink and a bagel at Starbucks next door - are they serious? Also, a couple of beverage vouchers for the bar, and two bottles of water per stay (not per day). No mention of health club access or anything.

Is it normal that they do not provide any kind of lounge access or "real" breakfast for Diamond guests? I looked at the Waldorf Astoria brand standards on the Hilton Honors website, and of course it seems like they are within those standards, but is that really all they do? Makes the Cavalieri with their strange Colosseo lounge, but full breakfast look much better.

Overall, a disappointing experience, and I will look elsewhere for my next NY visit.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by JDiver
"Waldorf=Astoria" and "Diamond benefits" are not phrases often used in the same sentence, particularly I suspect at this property, unless there is a negative value. Certainly nothing about lounge access or breakfast coupons, etc. and "upgrades" are, "when available", whatever they wish to call an upgraded room.

But, here are the "Diamond benefits" from the HHonors website, always a good place to check prior to making a booking (as is FT):
Thank you, yes, I did check both the threads on the Waldorf Astoria and the HHonors website before actually, but what I am saying is that I read in these threads that a lot of people actually got upgraded to suites or the Towers, and it seemed to me from these threads that people also got full breakfast and lounge access in many cases. I got nothing (except for a lousy T-Shirt from Lufthansa because of my delayed baggage and some stupid Starbucks vouchers ).
Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:00 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Thank you, yes, I did check both the threads on the Waldorf Astoria and the HHonors website before actually, but what I am saying is that I read in these threads that a lot of people actually got upgraded to suites or the Towers, and it seemed to me from these threads that people also got full breakfast and lounge access in many cases. I got nothing (except for a lousy T-Shirt from Lufthansa because of my delayed baggage and some stupid Starbucks vouchers ).
IMHO, things only happen at the W-A if you are a frequent customer and/or are proactive prior to your stay.

Though, I'd NEVER book the W-A; only the Waldorf-Towers. Over the years, I've been treated quite well, and have gotten some very nice upgrades. Of course, as with anything YMMV. At least, with the W-Towers, if you don't get upgraded you wind up with a decent sized room (for NYC) and lounge access.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
baccarat-king has a real advantage here - s/he is known by the property. As well, baccarat-king knows the property well enough to be able to select what is wanted and book it; anything above is gravy.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
IMHO, things only happen at the W-A if you are a frequent customer and/or are proactive prior to your stay.

Though, I'd NEVER book the W-A; only the Waldorf-Towers.
Would have liked to, but the Towers are not bookable on rewards.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by JDiver
baccarat-king has a real advantage here - s/he is known by the property. As well, baccarat-king knows the property well enough to be able to select what is wanted and book it; anything above is gravy.

Would have liked to, but the Towers are not bookable on rewards.
Which is reason enough why I would never book the W-A using HHonors Points.

I think the data-points are inconsistent enough (at least for the few years I have followed this property on FlyerTalk) to know that award stay + Diamond benefits (including 'perk' upgrades) are nothing more than a long-shot.

I guess, it's all about managing expectations; and FWIW your experience seems to be about average with regard to those expectations.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I guess, it's all about managing expectations; and FWIW your experience seems to be about average with regard to those expectations.
Average for the hotel, I guess, but compared to other hotels (and hotel chains) way below average. I can understand the room (even though I don't like being told I got an "upgrade" when there is no evidence of anything like an upgrade), but no lounge access and no breakfast are strange...and the Starbucks vouchers are more like an insult, in my opinion.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
...and the Starbucks vouchers are more like an insult, in my opinion.
+1
Old Dec 16, 2010, 6:32 pm

Average for the hotel, I guess, but compared to other hotels (and hotel chains) way below average. I can understand the room (even though I don't like being told I got an "upgrade" when there is no evidence of anything like an upgrade), but no lounge access and no breakfast are strange...and the Starbucks vouchers are more like an insult, in my opinion.
The lounge issue, is a well documented W-A situation. Seems they don't consider it a regular club level lounge. So, if you are not booked onto Astoria Level (at the W-A) or in the W-Towers, you don't get access. Probably one of the few Hilton properties with a lounge that does NOT grant access to Diamond members. But, as mentioned before, this is a known quantity at this property.

On a few occasions, I've had success at convincing the W-Towers folks to comp me drink certificates (since one has the lounge for brekkie) for the hotel bars; but that was never a guaranteed (or published) benefit.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:45 pm

Thank you baccarat_king - would you recommend the breakfast at any of the restaurants of the W_A, or would you recommend going elsewhere (given the fact that NY has endless options)? Thanks .
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Thank you baccarat_king - would you recommend the breakfast at any of the restaurants of the W_A, or would you recommend going elsewhere (given the fact that NY has endless options)? Thanks .
Breakfast is ridiculously overpriced and not worth it (you can do it once at the Peacock Alley if they still serve it), but I would not do it at the Oscar's.

Regarding the lounge - WA properties do not have lounges in the meaning of Hilton executive lounges which is why Diamonds do not get access to them.
I love WA, and I have never had a bad room there.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:21 am

If it's not the lounge, and I have the family along (and others), we have placed orders with H&H Bagels and had them delivered directly to our room/suite.

I am quite the fan of H&H (I bring them back to New Hampshire whenever I am in NYC, as the 'Boston-area' has no decent bagel options for a displaced New Yorker).

There are a number of 'local' places around the hotel property where you can grab a quick bite. I agree, avoid the hotel options for brekkie; and additionally room service (with service charges) is a bit over the top at the W-A and W-Towers.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles
I'm hoping for the best.

Can't belive the upgrades the recent posters Nov-Dec, 2010 are describing. I have diamond status. I spent days trying to pick a hotel for a late jan. 2011 trip and finally ended up choosing Waldorf because they had a non-refundable rate of $335 for a king mini suite and breakfast - part of the Any Weekend Anywhere sale.

I called the hotel last night and asked what kind of upgrade I could get if I booked with them and they were telling me Diamonds get one level upgrades upon availability. So if I book the king mini suite, I have a good chance of getting a suite, which I presumed to be the Astor Suite. The picture showing under the king mini suite has 2 french doors showing a bedroom behind. I was told that was the Astor Suite.

Now I'm reading on this thread that people with lower status than Diamond are getting incredible upgrades. I will keep my fingers crossed. I plan to call the night before to see what they can do for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.