Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2010, 6:36 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
The mini suites are actually bigger than the Astor suites. If they can bump you up, it would be to a spacious 1BR suite. Ask for something like 27y or similar....in the meantime ask to be confirmed in mini suite 2722. It's a smaller 1BR suite with 2 bathrooms, but still classified as a mini.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:15 am

Programs: DL, AT, HH Diamond, PC Plat AMB
Stay duration : 3 nights
Booking type: paid
Room type booked : 2 Double Superior
Number of people staying : 4 (2 children)
Upgrade: NONE
Room: 1514

I wrote a full review on trip advisor under "Echar." All in all, we were pretty disappointed and I wish I had found flyertalk before booking here!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I am currently at the hotel. Booked a concierge level 1 bedroom suite. The girl at the Diamond check-in did call up the Towers to see if any upgrade was possible but I think the hotel is full, and many guests are not leaving due to weather and airports being shut down. The room is very nice (same as regular 1 bedroom suites but with lounge access). The lounge is the biggest disappointment. I now understand why they do not give access to all Diamonds as it is so tiny. Breakfast offerings are actually not that bad. However, some people are unbelievable - sitting at tables for over an hour drinking coffee and reading a newspaper seeing that so many people are queuing to get a table to eat. I would impose a time limit per table.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:29 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Isome people are unbelievable - sitting at tables for over an hour drinking coffee and reading a newspaper seeing that so many people are queuing to get a table to eat. I would impose a time limit per table.
What the hotel should do is consider building a lounge in the Towers for Waldorf Towers guests since that is, in essence, a different hotel. Only the 26th floor of the W=A and every towers floor (28-42) is entitled to use it. It's way too crowded in peak times.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by PHL
What the hotel should do is consider building a lounge in the Towers for Waldorf Towers guests since that is, in essence, a different hotel. Only the 26th floor of the W=A and every towers floor (28-42) is entitled to use it. It's way too crowded in peak times.
In a perfect world that's what I would do too. However, I think that many people are just inconsiderate.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by PHL
Fully agree. The service and the offerings however are no longer the same as in the past and the W=A is no longer on my list of preferred hotels in New York. I get a similar style property next door with consistent upgrades for about 50% of the W=A rates.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 5:41 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Fully agree. The service and the offerings however are no longer the same as in the past and the W=A is no longer on my list of preferred hotels in New York. I get a similar style property next door with consistent upgrades for about 50% of the W=A rates.
Are you referring the the Doubletree? I just stayed there last week for a prepaid rate of $119/night. Not a great hotel at it's normal rate of $270; but at $119 it is truly a fantastic hotel.

EdiT: to add something useful
Award stay (one night). I did pick NOR1. Got an Astor suite ($59). Advertized as a King bed (definitely not). Two dated marble baths (both small). Do any of the rooms here have reasonable baths (separate shower/bath?)

FDW

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Dec 28, 2010 at 5:58 am
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Are you referring the the Doubletree? I just stayed there last week for a prepaid rate of $119/night. Not a great hotel at it's normal rate of $270; but at $119 it is truly a fantastic hotel.
There is a world outside Hilton. I am referring to the Barclay. I normally pay in the range of 200 to 250 USD and get my RA suite upgrade. Sweet.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:06 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Do any of the rooms here have reasonable baths (separate shower/bath?)
Yes, the Luxury Suites (corner, Park Ave view) have a huge changing room, and large bathroom with separate toilet closet, tub, and shower.

There are also standard sized rooms with the same type of bathroom arrangement. Asking for an upgrade to a room with a boudoire(changing area) is usually easy to get. If there is a female in the traveling party, it will be a huge plus.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA/Prem Exec, HH/Gold, TW/Gold
Unique room type?

This is a great thread, although of course I found it too late to be useful last week :-) I booked a "king superior" but what I got was unlike anything I'd ever seen at W=A. I've probably stayed there a dozen times in the last 25 years, but what I got this time was room 1787 which has a normal bedroom; a separate large changing room with double-door mirrored closet and a chair; a separate bathroom area with sink/mirror; a room with toilet and bath/shower behind a door; and a separate kitchenette with a full-size refrigerator/freezer and a sink/wet-bar! So basically 5 separate rooms, even though I wouldn't call this a "suite" -- no separate sitting area, for instance ... the TV and desk were in the same room as the bed. It was kind of like an apartment, I guess. I'm trying to think of a situation where this layout and use of space would have been useful to me Maybe if I had a crib and put it in the changing room? And needed a kitchen? Very odd!
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by jmhayes
This is a great thread, although of course I found it too late to be useful last week :-) I booked a "king superior" but what I got was unlike anything I'd ever seen at W=A. I've probably stayed there a dozen times in the last 25 years, but what I got this time was room 1787 which has a normal bedroom; a separate large changing room with double-door mirrored closet and a chair; a separate bathroom area with sink/mirror; a room with toilet and bath/shower behind a door; and a separate kitchenette with a full-size refrigerator/freezer and a sink/wet-bar! So basically 5 separate rooms, even though I wouldn't call this a "suite" -- no separate sitting area, for instance ... the TV and desk were in the same room as the bed. It was kind of like an apartment, I guess. I'm trying to think of a situation where this layout and use of space would have been useful to me Maybe if I had a crib and put it in the changing room? And needed a kitchen? Very odd!
Did you find the room to be dated with ratty tatty furniture and curtains or was it nice?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA/Prem Exec, HH/Gold, TW/Gold
deleted

Last edited by jmhayes; Jan 1, 2011 at 9:11 am Reason: uninteresting
Old Dec 31, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL, AT, HH Diamond, PC Plat AMB
Originally Posted by jmhayes
I think there's a difference between ratty tatty and what I've come to expect at the W=A ... I call it 'faded glory' and it appears to have been that way since before I started staying there in the mid-80s It's like staying at your grandmother's house, if your grandmother had money 100 years ago The rooms and furnishings at W=A are not like a brand new Four Seasons or any of the trendy boutique places you might stay ... but they are also neither cheap nor worn-out. Maybe I'm a sucker for sentimentality, but I always enjoy staying at the W=A ... even if I'm just there for a single night, I feel like I've "moved in" and am sad to check out and leave. There are two things I've noticed that they keep up with at W=A: the bed is modern and comfortable; and the TV is new and of good quality. Everything else is (to me) a fun step backwards in time.
I would have to disagree. Yes, the bed is nice...minus the bed bug tracks that I have photographed on my camera. The rest of the furniture, however, is ratty tatty. The chair in the room is un-sittable because it is so worn that the cushion is like a ski slope...you just slide off of it when you sit down. It does appear like faded glory, but upon closer inspection, it is just old and neglected.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles
all freaked out

You people got me all freaked out. I booked a nonrefundable 2 night stay. I plan on checking in on a friday night and insist on switching rooms until I get a room with good furniture. I want the overall best experience they can give me for this trip.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: Delta SM Lifetime, Hilton , Bonvoy Titanium
Dont listen to the naysayers! This is one of the coolest old school hotels you can stay in. Go in to the lobby in the morning with a cup of java and you will see all kinds of people from all over the world checking in and roaming about. Who spends any time in their hotel room anyways? Tons of history and events have taken place here and if you roam around at night you can feel it. I still stay there twice a year because of this.

Last edited by lively1nc; Jan 2, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.