Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:37 pm

Silver at Waldorf Astoria New York

As silver can you get any perks at the NYC W=A? Aside from extra HHonors points. Is there anything I should ask for at check in? Comped Wi-Fi etc? Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Complimentary Wi-Fi is reserved for Gold and Diamond elites. Per the HHonors terms and conditions, Silver elites are entitled to the following benefits at Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts:
  • 15% bonus on HHonors Base Points
  • Late check-out (subject to availability)
  • Express check-out
  • Spouse stays free
  • Two complimentary bottles of water
  • Complimentary fitness center access (when facilities owned by hotel)

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/explor...its/index.html
Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, CX Gold, LeAccor Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, SPG Gold
Having stayed there as a Diamond and not even received an upgrade (very busy apparently...), I wouldn't expect anything as silver, then anything you do get will be a bonus!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by johndoe123
Since accessible rooms are now bookable online by law, any comments on these rooms?

2 DBL MOB HEAR ACC RI SHWR

2 DOUBLE ACC W BATHTUB
Ditto - seeing good availability for award booking of these accessible rooms, but not much other info. Should I risk doing a favorable cash & points booking for a "King Bed Junior Deluxe Room Accessible" room even though it's the smallest size available or just extend my stay so I can book a proper GLON?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:32 pm

W-A is my favorite hotel of all time. I have been to some fabulous hotels, both Marriott and Hilton, but to me, the old-world grandeur and sophistication cannot be beat. The rooms are also old-world size, not like the more modern hotels where you are likely to whack your leg on the bed just trying to walk around. And to be right on Park Avenue is just incredible. The breakfast in Oscar's is magnificent, but very expensive. There are so many places to eat in NYC that finding alternatives is not an issue. As a side note, I stayed in the Towers last week and did not feel it was any better than the "regular" side. There were a few nice touches, but the Executive Lounge was just typical. And there was a rambunctious family in the room next door who I unfortunately had to have thrown out of their room at midnight so I could get some sleep. I don't think children should be allowed in the Towers, but that's another thread.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Comfortable and elegant (room 2725)

I've just finished a one-night stay at the Waldorf, my first ever, and just about everything was as I had hoped it would be.

I was a little apprehensive because I'd read some reviews that said the rooms were worn and dated, but my room, #2725, was beautiful. I was staying at a discount rate that is quite a lot lower than what I usually see available for the WA (a government rate of $204) so I had not been expecting much, but I got an upgrade as a Hilton Honors Diamond member. Indeed, the reception employee who checked me in described my room as a "suite", but it was really just a nice large room with a small foyer or hallway between the door and the room itself. The decor was more or less Victorian, with a comfortable and elegant bed, couch, desk, and dresser and nice wallpaper. There were what appeared to be original 19th-century botanical prints on the walls. The bathroom was of a decent size, with lots of marble and lots of hot water. And there was an oblique view of the Chrysler building. But even if my room had not been quite so nice, the classic beauty of the lobby and other public spaces in the Waldorf would have made the experience worthwhile.

As at other Waldorf-Astoria properties, the privileges for Hilton Honors elite members are fewer than at Hiltons and Conrads. There is no executive lounge -- although I now understand from reading this thread that there is a "concierge" lounge, presumably for guests paying the highest room rates but not for Diamond members -- and no free breakfast. But I was happy with the room upgrade and two free drink coupons, which a friend and I used at the Peacock Alley bar just off the lobby.

I dealt with ten or twelve staff members during my stay, almost all of whom were courteous and helpful.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Advice for e-upgrade at the W=A

Couldn't find a thread discussing this.

My booking is for the basic King Bed Deluxe.
Gold VIP free upgrade would bump me to a King Superior.

e-upgrade offered are for
King Mini Suite $59
King Towers $119
King Suite $129
King Luxury Suite $169

Assuming that all these upgrades were available, it is my understanding that a paid upgrade would combine with the Gold upgrade. For example, I pick and pay for a King Towers and get the next higher (King Suite).
At least that is what has happened to me at another Waldorf in the past.
Am I correct ?

If so, what would a knowledgeable traveller advise me to bid for ?

Also, if there is no availability for the next higher level, would it be standard policy to just give me what I paid for ? I think this should be the case, rather than getting an even higher bump.

Thank you all for the good advice.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG PLATINUM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by thesaints

King Mini Suite $59
King Towers $119
King Suite $129
King Luxury Suite $169

Assuming that all these upgrades were available, it is my understanding that a paid upgrade would combine with the Gold upgrade. For example, I pick and pay for a King Towers and get the next higher (King Suite).
Am I correct ?

Also, if there is no availability for the next higher level, would it be standard policy to just give me what I paid for ? I think this should be the case, rather than getting an even higher bump.

From what I had experienced in the past. The two upgrades are independent and they do not work together.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:40 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If you are talking about the WA in Manhattan, I think expecting a gold upgrade is going to disappoint you.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: HH diamond

King Mini Suite $59
King Towers $119
King Suite $129
King Luxury Suite $169

Am I correct ?

Gold upgrade is ONLY to one level up from what you ORIGINALLY BOOKED (not paid to upgrade) and can include rooms with special features (higher level, view, robes, fridge, etc) w/o changing TYPE of room. So they can give a Gold a standard room on a higher floor or with robes and that would fulfill the upgrade requirement.

You'll only get a single upgrade, paid or free, if you get upgraded at all. Upgrades are ALWAYS availability based. The paid upgrade trumps the free one. The free one is always of a lower level than you would be offered for $$ and that is your starting point. So if you pay for the upgrade and it is available, that is what you will get. You won't be upgraded more. Remember, your room would OTW just be what you booked.

Also, suites are NOT part of the Gold upgrades.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 4:21 pm

Well, at the Roosevelt a suite is exactly what I got and the lady checking me in explicitly said it was due to my e-upgrade request going through, with my gold upgrade on top.

I know upgrades for golds in NYC are a b1tch, but it has happened to me before and this time I'm going in the lowest of the low season.

Some considerations like "the mini-suite is not really worth the hassle", or "the biggest jump in quality is from King Towers to King Suite, for a difference of only $10" is what I was looking for.
The examples above are entirely fantastic and only intended to give an idea of the kind of info I'd like.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Some considerations like "the mini-suite is not really worth the hassle", or "the biggest jump in quality is from King Towers to King Suite, for a difference of only $10" is what I was looking for.
The examples above are entirely fantastic and only intended to give an idea of the kind of info I'd like.
There are dozens of references to room types in the property master thread.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:27 pm

Advice for e-upgrade at the W=A

I've paid for an upgrade and received a subsequent free upgrade at the WA Chicago as a gold. All said and done, i ended up with a suite 3 tiers above the standard room that i originally booked. Though suites are not a stated benefit for gold, there is ample evidence on FT that this is absolutely not a hard and fast rule (unlike the poster up above would have you believe).

Though if its NYC it might be more difficult as others have stated. Good luck!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Gold upgrade is ONLY to one level up from what you ORIGINALLY BOOKED (not paid to upgrade) and can include rooms with special features (higher level, view, robes, fridge, etc) w/o changing TYPE of room. So they can give a Gold a standard room on a higher floor or with robes and that would fulfill the upgrade requirement.

You'll only get a single upgrade, paid or free, if you get upgraded at all. Upgrades are ALWAYS availability based. The paid upgrade trumps the free one. The free one is always of a lower level than you would be offered for $$ and that is your starting point. So if you pay for the upgrade and it is available, that is what you will get. You won't be upgraded more. Remember, your room would OTW just be what you booked.

Also, suites are NOT part of the Gold upgrades.
Those you described are only STANDARD guidelines. There are no such thing of "ONLY one level up" or "gold will NOT get suites for upgrades". It all depends on individual property and who checked you in day of arrival.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There are dozens of references to room types in the property master thread.
Where is this "property master thread" ?
Bear with me; I'm a country boy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.