Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2013, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Miesque
A lot of people I saw walking into the hotel and checking in were not following any dress code and I hate to say it there were some that looked very much like they must have gotten the room thru Priceline. There were obviously some very well dressed individuals as well. In contrast, the Conrad seemed to have more consistency.
They don't even need to get the room thru priceline, remember last year Hitlon had a sale that W=A was sub $250 a night in the W=A, same price as the HI by Empire state building. So if W=A is same price as HI, which would people choose ?

Conrad has NO dress code neither. You go to Conrad Hong Kong's buffet in the restaurant no matter in the morning or at night, who is dressed up for that (except those chinese from mainland china, as it seems they own nothing but suit and dress) ? In a matter of fact, no one ever hear a dress code.

It just depends what day of the week you are there, weekdays of course more well dress individuals, weekends are families and kids.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Why not ? I did that last year in the middle of summer 90 degrees heat ! I saw other kids and adults, families in shorts as well !
That's exactly what I said: I can't imagine a guest would be stopped for wearing shorts.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Seriously. I understand this hotel may have historical significance but how it could continued to be branded a Waldorf is embarrassing. The rooms are not well cleaned and it has been years since they have been renovated. The furniture is old, stained and damaged. Last night I tried to take a shower and the hot water was luke warm at best. This morning awoke to voice mail message the hot water is indeed off. Now at nearly 6 AM can not get hot water after running. After coming from WAs in Chicago and Shanghai this place is marginal at best. Would never ever stay here again. Never.
I totally agree. I posted a couple of years back in this thread, but I had a horrible experience here - bathroom was filthy (I stepped on someone else's dried up contact lense... ew!), there was a hole (yes, an actual hole) in the ceiling in my room, and I constantly would get blocked in by the housekeeping carts which were blocking the hallways at all times of the day and night.

As a result, I received a complimentary trip back into a King Suite - which yes, while impressive in size and stately decor - was just as rundown as the room I had before. And, when we went to turn on the lights in the master bathroom we blew a fuse.. twice. Which had to be fixed each time.

I'll never go back.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
This weekend I am staying at the Seelbach in Louisville and I purposely waited until I was at the Seelbach to finish my review of my stay at the Waldorf from earlier in the week. Some may wonder why, but its because the Seelbach is another very old grand hotel and I think its a pretty fair gauge as to what to reasonably expect from a nice older hotel that actually has had the proper maintenance and renovations. The Waldorf can be summed up as simply as an establishment that is in woeful need of a massive renovation and as with most things, the longer it has been put off, the more intensive and costly the renovations need to be. That said, its location and the level of demand for high quality hotel rooms in midtown Manhattan should make such a project economically viable.

The Waldorf also did make me miss not having the free breakfast benefit I have grown accustomed over the years which I didn't think I would miss so much. Maybe it was because it was Manhattan but mostly the fact that you couldn't really even just get a cup of coffee. The cocktails coupons I did put to good use though.

I do have one positive item to highlight from my stay and which I was appreciative of. I found the Bell staff at the Waldorf to be extremely well managed and very prompt and expedient, even when making special requests for when luggage was to be ready for departure and at what entrance.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:29 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
The Waldorf also did make me miss not having the free breakfast benefit I have grown accustomed over the years which I didn't think I would miss so much. Maybe it was because it was Manhattan but mostly the fact that you couldn't really even just get a cup of coffee. The cocktails coupons I did put to good use though.
This is so strange. NYC has some of the best breakfast options, of any city in the world. I'm thinking you did not explore properly.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
This is so strange. NYC has some of the best breakfast options, of any city in the world. I'm thinking you did not explore properly.
I was specifically referring at the hotel. I actually ended up eating breakfast each morning over at the Warwick.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:50 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
I was specifically referring at the hotel. I actually ended up eating breakfast each morning over at the Warwick.
ah, IMO, NYC is one city where I almost prefer NOT to have a hotel breakfast.

We used to be regular guests at the Waldorf. But, never the "main" hotel, always the Waldorf-Towers. I said for years, that the Towers was an "acceptable" NYC hotel, but not the Waldorf.

Now, we prefer the Ritz Central Park or Algonquin.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:37 am

My wife and I had a 2 night points stay recently (using some Hilton points before the deval). I had put a comment on my reservation that it was our anniversary and upon check-in, the agent gave me a room on a high floor, free internet, and 2 free cocktail coupons. I'm only silver, so I would not have gotten the free internet or cocktails without being gold. We didn't spend much time in the room, but it was fine. Everything was clean, but a bit dated. I was definitely fine spending the 50000/night as my wife loves staying in midtown.

My only real complaint I have is that I didn't not hear back from the hotel until after my stay about the dress code question, which I asked here. I sent three emails, received one response, and no apology.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat
Thinking of booking the towers using my free night voucher from the UK Visa, in late November. If I book a second night in the WA (not towers) on points, do you think there is much chance they will allow us to stay in the same room for the second night (since towers don't participate in HHonors)?
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cloud-nine
Thinking of booking the towers using my free night voucher from the UK Visa, in late November. If I book a second night in the WA (not towers) on points, do you think there is much chance they will allow us to stay in the same room for the second night (since towers don't participate in HHonors)?
I would say zero chance due to the reason you've already mentioned. I'm even doubting your voucher will be honored at the Towers, but I don't know the T&C's of the voucher.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Notenut
I would say zero chance due to the reason you've already mentioned. I'm even doubting your voucher will be honored at the Towers, but I don't know the T&C's of the voucher.
That would be my sentiment as well on both points.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat
Just spoken to them and (despite not being on the exclusion list at HHonors.com/weekendcertificate) they can't book it, as it books as a regular points stay (which towers doesn't participate in).
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Greytop
Was just in NYC and needed one more night than I had at HGVC West 57th Street (owner there). So...decided to splurge a bit and use points for Saturday night at Waldorf Astoria. 60,000 HHonors points (vs 50,000 for somewhere like Time Square Hilton so not that huge a premium). Listed rate around $650.

The public spaces were nice. Enjoyed the drink coupons (2 for up to $20 drink on each).

I'm Gold and was told I had been upgraded from Deluxe King to Superior King but it was certainly not obvious.

Very underwhelmed. While I realize it is a traditional decor and not supposed to be flashy it was worn and blah.

Room was large. Woodwork looked like it had been painted about a million times. Almost no outlets in the room. Bathroom was large and looked like it hadn't been updated since the 50's including a traditional chrome frame medicine cabinet. Bed was comfortable but it should be.

I was very glad that we were not paying/using points for more than one night.
I think people are confusing old-world-grandeur with being "outdated". This hotel is beautiful, classic, and clean. That's what gives it its character and makes it special. If they do any renovation, I certainly hope they maintain that charm. I am EXTREMELY fussy when it comes to hotels, and personally, I can't get enough of it. And the beds are DREAMY.

Originally Posted by Greytop
No Starbucks vouchers currently.
There no longer is a Starbucks at the hotel . There is one around the corner from the hotel, though, if you need a "fix".
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:00 pm

Waldorf NYC - what a let down

I wished I had checked here first!

Spent a night this week in NYC visiting family. Splurged on 70,000 points for a room for me and the wife, and paid $299 for an adjoining room for the teenagers.

Outside of the Bellagio in Las Vegas I think these are the biggest rooms I've ever had. A hallway, not just a door, connected the two rooms. Staff was incredibly polite and professional.

Flip side:
Arrived at hotel 2:00 PM to check in. A 20 minute wait in line to check in despite a dozen people working the check in desks. They advised me the room was not ready (check in wasn't until 3:00 anyway so OK) and they would text me when it was ready. That was kind of neat, and we got the text about 4:15 while on an uptown subway.

What disturbed me were the 200+ people lying all over the lobby, hallways, stairwells, all waiting for their rooms. Suitcases, people sleeping in chairs, it looked like refugees during a tremendous blizzard.

Wife got back to hotel at 9:00 PM. Spent 15 minutes in line to get the room key. Overheard the desk staff telling a businessman checking in next to her that his room was not ready yet (at 9:00 PM). I got to hotel with daughter about 11:00 PM and there were still people in line to check in.

The bellmen gave us a luggage ticket at 2:00 PM with instructions to give it to the front desk clerk when we got our key. Wife did that and was told the bags would "be sent right up". An hour and a half, and two phone calls to the front desk, later they finally arrived.

The remote control for the TV did not work. It was another 90 minute wait to have it sent up.

Although the bed was comfortable, the other furniture in the room looked like it belonged in a frat house.

The bathroom was clean but chipped countertops, worn out mirror trim details - I don't think it's been refreshed since the 1960's.

Large parts of the walls had melamine coated panels, not even sheetrock or plaster, covering unused ductwork and heating vents. Motel 6 doesn't even do this.

The thermostat was perpetually stuck at 71 degrees - the room was freezing. Could not turn off the fan or change the temperature.

Lobby furniture was worn out and dirty. It needed to be reupholstered years ago.

I had thought about splurging on room service for the family, but A) figured if they couldn't get bags to the room in under 90 minutes breakfast would be incredibly delayed, B) with a glass of OJ costing $16 I would have paid for another nights stay by the time breakfast was done, and C) I really did not want to spend any time in that room - it was kind of depressing.

The entire experience was an enormous let down. I am really glad it was just one night - although bummed 70,000 points went to this. Interestingly, I've yet to receive a customer satisfaction survey so I guess they just don't care at this point.

Maybe the "Towers" are nicer, but I cannot recommend this hotel, wouldn't go back unless there was massive renovation.

Mike
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by sunnyjl
I think people are confusing old-world-grandeur with being "outdated". This hotel is beautiful, classic, and clean. That's what gives it its character and makes it special. If they do any renovation, I certainly hope they maintain that charm. I am EXTREMELY fussy when it comes to hotels, and personally, I can't get enough of it. And the beds are DREAMY.
I think a lot of us would disagree with you. I've been to hotels with "old-world-grandeur." This is not :ne of those hotels. This hotel is simply worn out and living off off its name and prior reputation. That said, I have not stayed at the Towers. Perhaps that is different. I should hope so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.