Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by submonte
Hotel and rooms are being renovated or not?
I don't know; I haven't been to The Waldorf=Astoria in a few years. The article you cited is merely a rumor. If Hilton were actually in the process of renovating the hotel right now, I think we'd have heard about, either via an official release or a report here on FlyerTalk.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I know for sure that public areas are being renovated.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
I am sure that a hotel with so many rooms are constantly renovating part of them.
I have stayed 3/4 times in the last 4/5 years and I have never had "tired" rooms, but all have been "W/A style", ie anything but modern look.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As the flagship iconic property of the flagship iconic Hilton brand, the W-A doesn't really give a hoot about elite status or how many nights someone stayed in Peoria.

You can book high-end rooms, UG to high-end rooms or deal with standard rooms which are still generally very nice. It's not a trendy hotel and it's not meant to be.

The best way to get great rooms at the W-A is to be really nice and pleasant to the FD and make the ask in a polite and informed manner. Don't ask about UG's, but ask if there's anything nicer available. Don't mention status ! (In NY, status means you're in the Social Register).
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, Alaska MVPG100K, Marriott Titanium Elite
Staying here now for 10 days and I can confirm that the hotel does look to be undergoing a massive upgrade. Half of the lobby is now closed off (Park side) and is not accessible. Everything from the Park side Tower elevators to Park is now behind what looks to be an actual wall. For those that haven't stayed there you probably wouldn't even realize it. Sir Harry's, Starbucks, both large meeting rooms, none of it is accessible or even visable at this point. I can't vouch for any of the rooms being updated but defintely the lobby is undergoing a makeover.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Often1
As the flagship iconic property of the flagship iconic Hilton brand, the W-A doesn't really give a hoot about elite status or how many nights someone stayed in Peoria. Don't ask about UG's, but ask if there's anything nicer available. Don't mention status ! (In NY, status means you're in the Social Register).
To the contrary, everytime I stay here (atleast once a month) I show them my diamond card and when I ask, I almost always get upgraded to a suite and sometimes am given access to the Astoria lounge for breakfast as well...elite status does matter.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:58 am

Unless it has changed lately they used to have a dedicated check in for HHD so no need to show you card.
It is true that they close at 8pm or even earlier.

The Astoria lounge is at the W/A Astoria or at the Towers? Thanks
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
Don't mention status ! (In NY, status means you're in the Social Register).
Sorry, but I don't think it is true.

If I didn't even mention I am gold, I can't even get a late checkout at 1pm despite average occupancy ! They are very stingy about upgrades and late checkout not unless the person know your status !
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG

...Request for late check out, was told 1pm the latest for both gold and diamond, anything later than that is $50 per hour. I have never heard late check out charge by hour, usually it is a flat rate $50-$100 til 6pm at other hotels like Hilton or even Conrad, after that charge a day rate or half the rate you paid.
In the event a late checkout is essential, you would be much better off with SPG Gold or Platinum.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjay
To the contrary, everytime I stay here (atleast once a month) I show them my diamond card and when I ask, I almost always get upgraded to a suite and sometimes am given access to the Astoria lounge for breakfast as well...elite status does matter.
Is Gold considered elite?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by comptalk
Is Gold considered elite?
The last few times I have stayed as a HHG they handed me the Starbucks vouchers(before it was continental at Oscars) and the free internet.
Similar rooms to my stays as HHD.
I do not think you can get Astoria lounge access as a HHG but YMMV.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 3:06 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by more4less
I am sure that a hotel with so many rooms are constantly renovating part of them.
I have stayed 3/4 times in the last 4/5 years and I have never had "tired" rooms, but all have been "W/A style", ie anything but modern look.
"W/A style" is ok with me, I like it, and the hotel should keep itīs authenticity ("American Icon in New York City"), if the style would change to modern we would get another Hilton or Conrad.

I am talking about carpets, wallpapers, curtains, maybe really too tired furniture and most import the bathroom. Some photos I have seen from guests on tripadvisor show tired rooms and bathrooms.

However I would not stay on points and book instead a paid stay for 5 or 6 nights with a higher category room. I will reach again Diamond or at least Gold probably till that stay, so maybe they will be so kind to take care that I get a nice room at least in the booked category.

Finally: The new owners of The Plaza mentioned some more luxury hotels they are interested to buy in NYC, they named also the W=A, read here:

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...s-plaza-hotel/

"The Sahara group is also said to be interested in other high-end iconic hotel properties in New York, like the Four Seasons, the Mandarin Oriental and the Waldorf-Astoria."

Last edited by submonte; Aug 12, 2012 at 3:16 am
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:12 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

"The Sahara group is also said to be interested in other high-end iconic hotel properties in New York, like the Four Seasons, the Mandarin Oriental and the Waldorf-Astoria."
It will be a sad day in Hilton history if that were to happen. The Waldorf was Conrad Hilton's prized possession, and he was able to buy it outright in the 70's for around $30M. It had great sentimental value to him and the brand. Of course, the current owners (Blackstone) don't care about that and would probably sell it off even if they only profited $1...
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Finally: The new owners of The Plaza mentioned some more luxury hotels they are interested to buy in NYC, they named also the W=A, read here:

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...s-plaza-hotel/

i'm not a big fan of the sahara group....i really hope they don't end up buying this property as well....
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I'm confused on lounge access.

I am HHonors Diamond with a reservation for a standard room.

Do Diamond members receive access to any lounge? If so, what are its amenities? Additionally, is full breakfast in the hotel's restaurant complimentary?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.