Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:33 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Executive level is the 26th floor, so yes you definitely lounge access.

The W=A doesn't automatically upgrade to the towers in general, but maybe this is a new upsell that gets you in there (floors 28-42) for booking a W=A room. That, too, would also give access to the 26th floor lounge.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Is the tower room that come with lounge access really worth the extra $179 then ?

Or just the executive floor room with lounge access worth $110 ?

I think I would ask at checkin how much would it cost if I want lounge access.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: HH: Diamond, DL: Diamond
CANCEL YOUR RESERVATION AND STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a Hilton Diamond member, my family and I stayed here last year over the Thanksgiving weekend and our stay was horrible. Upon check in they asked me if I would consider moving to another hotel due the a shortage of rooms? I said no!
The room was small, cramped and old, the AC unit was horrid requested a room change. Bellmen moved our luggage and took a $100 dollars out of my daughters suit case!! the room again was small with poor HVAC. Service was poor . The bar was great but expensive, meet two hookers in the bar said I was here with my family?!?!
I have to tell you old Mr. Hilton said this was the greatest of them all, he would be rolling over in his grave.

Old Apr 14, 2012, 5:38 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Is the tower room that come with lounge access really worth the extra $179 then ?

Or just the executive floor room with lounge access worth $110 ?

I think I would ask at checkin how much would it cost if I want lounge access.
Not sure what you are confirmed in, but those two upgrades sound like standard rooms on higher floors. So, not worth the premium just to give you lounge access. You can get a breakfast anywhere within a block for far far less than $110.

As for Chip's post - that's really too bad you got that treatment as a Diamond. They were trying to walk you to a nicer hotel because they already filled up the rooms. It happens, but rarely to Diamonds. As for the alleged theft of $100, I hope you reported it, as well as your other issues to the hotel. The GM, who's been in that role there for about 20 years now, is very keen on customer service and would be interested to hear that.

As for the hookers - it's not uncommon to encounter them in many upscale NYC hotels. They're easy to pick out, though. Overly attractive woman, dressed very nicely, alone at the bar, making lots of eye contact with the male clientele. It is what it is....
Old Apr 14, 2012, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chip15035

I am a Hilton Diamond member, my family and I stayed here last year over the Thanksgiving weekend and our stay was horrible. Upon check in they asked me if I would consider moving to another hotel due the a shortage of rooms? I said no!
The room was small, cramped and old, the AC unit was horrid requested a room change. Bellmen moved our luggage and took a $100 dollars out of my daughters suit case!! the room again was small with poor HVAC. Service was poor . The bar was great but expensive, meet two hookers in the bar said I was here with my family?!?!
I have to tell you old Mr. Hilton said this was the greatest of them all, he would be rolling over in his grave.

Thanks for your advice but no thank you. I will stick with what I booked, afterall, I am using a free cert from Q4, so there is nothing to lose.

As far as the small cramp old part, I think it is expected if you read some of the reviews and photos on TA, so no surprise there at all. I never use the service with the bellman, I don't drink, and I am travelling solo, so don't think any of what you experienced would happen to me.

Besides, your review is almost 6 months old, would anything still be valid or accurate ?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
Not sure what you are confirmed in, but those two upgrades sound like standard rooms on higher floors. So, not worth the premium just to give you lounge access. You can get a breakfast anywhere within a block for far far less than $110.
1 queen deluxe room, cheapest room it could be using Q4 free night cert.

I don't think I will pay for those prices, but am curious how much would it cost just to ask for lounge access when I checkin
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:52 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1 queen deluxe room, cheapest room it could be using Q4 free night cert.

I don't think I will pay for those prices, but am curious how much would it cost just to ask for lounge access when I checkin
There's no available 'fee' for lounge access simply because it's small and barely big enough for the 26th floor guests, as well as the tower guests. You might ask at time of upgrade if there are any rooms available on 26, though. If the hotel isn't crowded, the staff will usually do what they can to help.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
There's no available 'fee' for lounge access simply because it's small and barely big enough for the 26th floor guests, as well as the tower guests. You might ask at time of upgrade if there are any rooms available on 26, though. If the hotel isn't crowded, the staff will usually do what they can to help.
Thanks.

So I read about the voucher for the starbucks, is it just a drink ? Or drink and a snack ?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; US Gold
Thanks.

So I read about the voucher for the starbucks, is it just a drink ? Or drink and a snack ?
Coffee, Juice, and pastry.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am currently at W=A, got the 1 queen deluxe on the 17th floor, but got upgraded to a corner room. My room is rather unusual, there is a rather large powder room (another set of closets, chairs and tables with makeup mirror) before it leads to the bathroom. The bathroom is old style but huge, tub/shower combo.

Ferragamo toiletries but no shower gel, no slippers only robes. Called them and got both, not sure why they are hiding it.

Room has thermostat, but seems like not working even though I set it up to 75 degrees. (yes I know, I prefer my room to be warm, besides it is in the low 50s in NYC and I am skinny can't keep heat in my body) The thermostat just stuck in 65 degrees, no heat coming out from the vents, called down and was told the heat was turned off for the year, they just sent me a space heater.

As a gold, got the (1) beverage voucher for the bar (2) vouchers for starbucks (2 bottles/cans cold beverage, 2 pastries, 2 hot beverages). Also two bottles of W=A brand water from the minibar.

Request for late check out, was told 1pm the latest for both gold and diamond, anything later than that is $50 per hour. I have never heard late check out charge by hour, usually it is a flat rate $50-$100 til 6pm at other hotels like Hilton or even Conrad, after that charge a day rate or half the rate you paid.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; May 1, 2012 at 2:12 pm
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:30 am

Since accessible rooms are now bookable online by law, any comments on these rooms?

2 DBL MOB HEAR ACC RI SHWR

2 DOUBLE ACC W BATHTUB
Old Aug 5, 2012, 5:00 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
I plan a trip to NY in autumn. Does anyone know about the renovation status at W=A, e.g. which floors/rooms already have been finished.

Has someone of you been staying in a refurbished room? What about the bathroom?

Last edited by submonte; Aug 5, 2012 at 10:09 am Reason: expression
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by submonte
I plan a trip to NY in autumn. Does anyone know about the renovation status at W=A, e.g. which floors/rooms already have been finished.

Has someone of you been staying in a refurbished room? What about the bathroom?
No one staying recently in the W=A?

Remember:

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...ing_a_Makeover
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite

Remember:

It's been over a year since the renovation rumor was published, and still no official word from Hilton.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by MS02113

Remember:

It's been over a year since the renovation rumor was published, and still no official word from Hilton.
Hotel and rooms are being renovated or not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.