Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "CAPTCHA for logging in?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
HHonors Sign In (if the link has disappeared)

https://secure3.hilton.com/en/hh/customer/login/index.htm
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "CAPTCHA for logging in?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I've only ever gotten the door numbers. (Did again today, and created a password so we'll see.)

I remember I didn't get a username before because my name was somehow taken (obviously by me, since it's unique, but not connected to the account for some reason). And Hilton couldn't fix that. But the name was available this time; I guess the old registration aged out or something.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak

FEI, China used to block Google search only, then Gmail, then google APIs & Google Play and finally they started blocking all images hosted by them. There are a few workarounds and that is to use a paid VPN or free VPN software like FreeGate or the TOR Browser. The TOR Browser - a modified version of Firefox - uses the TOR network and is a great tool to get passed the Great Firewall of China. Initial connectivity is sometimes a problem (you have to try various servers to connect) but you can still get there in the end, surf unhindered, and log in to the site. It's also very easy to use so good for n00bs.

Also, an important point that's worth mentioning is Hilton will not flag your account when using the TOR network even though it is classed as a proxy service/VPN. I confirmed twice with the IT department yesterday. Obviously they realize that their customer base, travelling all over the world, will sometimes use a proxy service (by choice or sometimes not by choice) so those of us living in or travelling to China can relax a little. I was told "As long as you can load our pages, you may sign in and you will not be blocked or your account flagged."

Links;
TOR Browser: https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en
TOR info (Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network)
FreeGate: http://dit-inc.us/freegate.html
FreeGate info (Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freegate
Note: Both are freeware and cost nothing.
Really interesting. We were in China last month, and came across this problem of not being able to log in. The hotel, WA in Shanghai was not aware that guests could not log on. I'll definitely keep this in mind for next time. Thanks for the tip
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
The hotel, WA in Shanghai was not aware that guests could not log on. I'll definitely keep this in mind for next time. Thanks for the tip
Welcome. BTW, international hotel chains in China are usually allowed through the firewall and you can access pretty much everything that is normally blocked outside those hotels.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
That was definitely not the case for the Waldorf, and we have been there a few times a year for the last several years. Google was definitely blocked as well as the Hilton site. Is there any other information you can provide. We have some good relationships with the mgmt. there, so if there is something I can pass on to them, Id like to.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:07 pm

I haven't stayed at any Hilton properties on the mainland, however the last time I was at a Shangri-la I noticed they had what seemed like full access. From my home connection I can load any Hilton webpage...just the Captcha images don't load. I've never heard of anyone not being able to load HHonors, Hilton/Hilton Brand websites etc. Strange indeed, although here in China it's a mix-n-match. One city will have completely different rules from the next even though they might only be a hundred kilometres apart. By the sounds of it, Shanghai might have stricter rules. Beijing probably has the tightest controls although again, I can't be sure of that. I would have to ask some friends who live there.

Also, various companies, e.g; foreign trade, etc have unrestricted internet access...well, as unrestricted as you could get here anyway. From personal experience I know that some software companies that have branches outside of China have unblocked internet access. Sorry I can't be of much more help.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:37 pm

Something strange today. With Chrome browser, click I am not a robot. Got the photo with numbers. But instead of typing in the numbers I clicked outside the CAPTCHA box. The I am not a robot box became unchecked. I clicked again and got in without any checking!

I did it several times and can do it every time, but only if the check is a picture with numbers.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:05 am
In Memoriam

Yesterday I was able to log in with one try and that was a first since this silliness started.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Changed my password, but still have to do stupid Captcha.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eajusa
Changed my password, but still have to do stupid Captcha.
Of course! As discussed in the password change thread, even though you've created or changed your password, logging in with a PIN is not yet disabled. So I don't see why they would consider getting rid of the Captcha at least until they disable logging in with a PIN (supposedly next month).
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Of course! As discussed in the password change thread, even though you've created or changed your password, logging in with a PIN is not yet disabled. So I don't see why they would consider getting rid of the Captcha at least until they disable logging in with a PIN (supposedly next month).
Makes sense. Just hope Captcha can go with the end of the pin.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eajusa
Makes sense. Just hope Captcha can go with the end of the pin.
Hopefully. But Best Western added a Captcha a month or two ago, and they don't supports PINs. (However, BW doesn't impose as strong password rules as HHonors does now, so maybe that's why?)
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Would love to change my password but I am traveling in China and Captcha doesn't work here, so I have to wait a while before I leave the country. I may miss the 1,000 point bonus though.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Would love to change my password but I am traveling in China and Captcha doesn't work here, so I have to wait a while before I leave the country. I may miss the 1,000 point bonus though.
See my post here for how to log in whilst in China. If you are not able to download any of that software, I can email it to you. Just PM me if you need it.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
This has got to be the strangest one I've seen, and I have reset and have a strong password.

"I can dance like a robot?"

Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
This has got to be the strangest one I've seen, and I have reset and have a strong password.

"I can dance like a robot?"

It's probably their April's Fool version of CAPTCHA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.