Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "CAPTCHA for logging in?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
HHonors Sign In (if the link has disappeared)

https://secure3.hilton.com/en/hh/customer/login/index.htm
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "CAPTCHA for logging in?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I logged into my Best Western account today for the first time in several months and I see they have the same stupid CAPTCHA Hilton does
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by 1200GS
I finally got in after 7 attempts.

For me, it used to show a three digit numerical "question" (i.e. "503"). Tonight, its showing a ridiculous, impossible to read "phrase".

If you can't read the words, you can click on the refresh icon (little circle looking icon) it will display new words (or numbers). Once in a while I can't really read the letters/numbers and hit the refresh and I can read them fine.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
I logged into my Best Western account today for the first time in several months and I see they have the same stupid CAPTCHA Hilton does
In my case, BW today is like Hilton was for me until a few weeks ago: I checked "I am not a robot", it thought about it for a moment, and gave me nothing more to have to do.

Btw, I logged into BW a few days ago, and it wasn't there then (the pop for logging in wasn't even tall enough for it then), so it's very new at BW.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Took 5 attempts tonight.

I get the numbers, key it in, click verify and then it ask me for recaptcha again!!

I'm now in though.

Regards

TBS
If you haven't typed in your username and password first before you do the captcha it will barf, make sure you have your username and password entered then click on I am not a robot.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:52 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
So why not have accounts temporarily lock after, say, 5 failed login tries, and e-mail the account holder that it appears someone is trying to hack their account?

The only thing the Captcha would defeat is if someone had a massive DB of login & password combos which are "legit" from some compromised site (and not just a brute force dictionary), and are using robots to try those combos at a bunch of common sites to find accounts where the person used the same username & password. I'm assuming that's what is being done, but it still seems like there would be better ways of doing this.

And you could still have humans try those stolen usernames & passwords on a few high-value sites (banks, hotels, airlines, etc.) to bypass the Captcha.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phalkon30
I'm glad I found the wiki link for the login, every time I go to the hilton page there is no link to log into my account. I have to pick a random city, try to book a room, then it will ask me to log in and I can exit out and get into my account.

I just want to log in and look at my upcoming trips/points balance...and it takes me several long clicks on my slow internet to get there. VERY frustrating.

At least once I get to the captcha, it seems to work well, just wish the link showed up all the time.
Try this link. It takes you directly to a login page.

https://secure3.hilton.com/en/hh/cus...ogin/index.htm
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by cjd
I have just had to pick some photos of cakes out of 9 photos!!! Never seen such rubbish.
I would prefer this over this annoying word-thing.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by Baze
If you haven't typed in your username and password first before you do the captcha it will barf, make sure you have your username and password entered then click on I am not a robot.
Interesting. For me that's not the case. The very first thing I do is click on I am not a robot. Then I enter whatever "words" it challenges me with and click verify. After the little check appears confirming that I am indeed not a robot I then enter my username and password.

It's amazing to me how many different experiences we're all having with this. I sometimes wonder whether the folks who developed this system are all having a good laugh at us.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
I'm encountering another problem.

Obviusly AlienInTheFatherland is not my real name, I am in real life called Alan Robot, which means I can't do anything at all!
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by phalkon30
I'm glad I found the wiki link for the login, every time I go to the hilton page there is no link to log into my account. I have to pick a random city, try to book a room, then it will ask me to log in and I can exit out and get into my account.

I just want to log in and look at my upcoming trips/points balance...and it takes me several long clicks on my slow internet to get there. VERY frustrating.

At least once I get to the captcha, it seems to work well, just wish the link showed up all the time.
Try deleting all your cookies that has the word "hilton or hhonors" in it.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SeoulMan
With each attempt I get two words, one of which is so jammed up that it is unreadable. Then I tried the audio version, and that’s even worse ….. You hear a series of numbers said by a female who sounds like she’s being strangled in a cave. After 7 attempts I finally got through. What a waste of time and energy!

OMG!!! just spit out my drink after reading this--strangled in a cave is such a funny yet perfect description!
thanks for the needed levity!
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta, HH Diamond, Marriott, AA Gold
Wow, what different stories! Using Firefox, I enter my Username, password, click I am not a robot and always get a simple 4 digit number. It has worked flawlessly for me never a problem.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Now, this is getting a bit silly. Particularly since I'm on a diet and now all I want is a steak!!

Last edited by lifetimeblue; Dec 16, 2015 at 2:52 pm
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Need
LOL I tried the audio... you should try it.. it is really funny. Try to say "mnsmmrf auufeffs" and see if that helps. You would think the mp3 would spell out the letter but instead it tries to pronounce the 2 words.

Sometime it will give me a 10 or 12 digit numbers read by a female robot voice with horrible statics and overlapping the numbers. I could try to enter those except.. the field is not active and won't let me type.

Yeah I know the refresh button. I would click it until I could see one I could attempt and then usually only gets it about 25% of the time.
I tried the audio for grins... it sounded like ET talking through a 10 ft piece of pipe.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
Now, this is getting a bit silly. Particularly since I'm on a diet and now all I want is a steak!!

So if you click the "retry" icon (curled arrow), does it give you another "match the pictures" test, or does it go back to the more standard "type what you see" test?

Btw, as a semi-vegetarian, all (mammal) meat looks about the same to me, and I wouldn't know steak from non-steak meat in those pictures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.