Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

New HH Promo 'Triple your Trip' AUG1-OCT31

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
This wiki captures the main points of the Q3 offer from Hilton as posted by HHonorsRepresentative. The main focus of the thread posts has shifted to discuss the high number of opt out hotels for this promotion. Nothing stopping you from adding other useful information or discussion points to this wiki or to the thread! @:-)

Hilton Q3 Promotion: Triple Your Trip

Offer Details:

Earn Triple Points Friday through Sunday

Earn Double Points Monday through Thursday

Stays must be completed between August 1, 2014 and October 31, 2014 at participating hotels and resorts

Register using this link (Many of you may have already registered! If you received a confirmation email, then the promotion code has already dropped on your account and re-registration would not be necessary)

A full list of non-participating hotels and resorts can be found here

A FAQ for this promotion can be found here

Notes from HHonorsRepresentative about the high number of opt out hotels:

As many of you have already noted, more hotels and resorts have chosen to opt-out of this particular promotion compared to previous offers. We understand that having options when you book stays with us is very important and we do our best to encourage hotels and resorts to participate in our promotions. While we hope our promotions work for most hotels, sometimes individual hotels do not have a need for a little extra help filling their rooms. Many hotels are individually owned and operated so we let them make that decision based on their demand. Additionally, many hotels and resorts see spikes in occupancy this time of year, which explains why some hotels have opted-out.

Please do update this wiki with any other useful info or to correct any mistakes.
Print Wikipost

New HH Promo 'Triple your Trip' AUG1-OCT31

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by prushing
Hilton needs to fine their properties, if they aren't already, that opt out. Its never good to advertise things and then have people show up expecting something but be denied because of the crazy fine print.
I disagree because Hilton DOES post a visisble list of participating (or non-participating) properties. Every promotion in every industry comes with some sort of disclaimer -- participating locations only. Ever try to find restaurant promotional pricing at an airport restaurant or a restaurant in a sports venue? Yeah, it's non-existent!

I wouldn't expect Hilton hotels to participate during super-peak periods for that hotel. I would expect them to partcipate during normal and off-peak times, when they could use a few extra reservations.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Hypothetical question (but hopefully not, won't know until 7/21)...

If you had already booked a double points promotion because it was such a tiny upcharge from the lowest rate, and it happens to participate in this double/triple promotion...

Do you get...

Your booked double points...

PLUS the promotion double or triple points...

PLUS your Elite extra points?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Hypothetical question (but hopefully not, won't know until 7/21)...

If you had already booked a double points promotion because it was such a tiny upcharge from the lowest rate, and it happens to participate in this double/triple promotion...

Do you get...

Your booked double points...

PLUS the promotion double or triple points...

PLUS your Elite extra points?
Yes - they are stackable.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
They stack, but they're all based on your base points.

E.g. 1,000 base points.
Double points rate gets you another 1,000 points.
Triple points promotion gets you another 2,000 points.
Points+points gets you another 500 points.
Status gets you more points (based off 1,000).
Etc.

Triple points promotion w/credit card:
10 base points/$
20 bonus points
5 points+points points
5 Diamond points
12 Amex points

Total: 52 points/$. If they hadn't been devalued so much that would be a ridiculously good earning rate. (Paying the "double points" rate makes it 62 points/$, but I haven't seen that rate low enough to be worthwhile for my stays.)
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, AA Plat. Pro
Originally Posted by sethb
They stack, but they're all based on your base points.

E.g. 1,000 base points.
Double points rate gets you another 1,000 points.
Triple points promotion gets you another 2,000 points.
Points+points gets you another 500 points.
Status gets you more points (based off 1,000).
Etc.

Triple points promotion w/credit card:
10 base points/$
20 bonus points
5 points+points points
5 Diamond points
12 Amex points

Total: 52 points/$. If they hadn't been devalued so much that would be a ridiculously good earning rate. (Paying the "double points" rate makes it 62 points/$, but I haven't seen that rate low enough to be worthwhile for my stays.)
I've used a ton of the 2x points rates this year. They typically are only $10-15 more a night and if it's in w/in our travel policy guidelines I snag it.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by HansGruber
I've used a ton of the 2x points rates this year. They typically are only $10-15 more a night and if it's in w/in our travel policy guidelines I snag it.
It's certainly worth it if someone else is paying

But I've generally found rates much lower than the double points rates (they might be $10 over "best available", with AAA etc. being well below that).
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, AA Plat. Pro
Originally Posted by sethb
It's certainly worth it if someone else is paying

But I've generally found rates much lower than the double points rates (they might be $10 over "best available", with AAA etc. being well below that).
Very true. We use Egencia for our corporate travel and I don't have access to the AAA rates anymore like I did years ago with Concur so it's only a few dollars difference.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa
I disagree because Hilton DOES post a visisble list of participating (or non-participating) properties. Every promotion in every industry comes with some sort of disclaimer -- participating locations only. Ever try to find restaurant promotional pricing at an airport restaurant or a restaurant in a sports venue? Yeah, it's non-existent!

I wouldn't expect Hilton hotels to participate during super-peak periods for that hotel. I would expect them to partcipate during normal and off-peak times, when they could use a few extra reservations.
A more apt comparison would be with other hotel chains, not restaurants. The programs I'm familiar with (IHG, Marriott, Choice) do not have non-participating hotel lists. To my knowledge, all properties participate in their promotions.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
A more apt comparison would be with other hotel chains, not restaurants. The programs I'm familiar with (IHG, Marriott, Choice) do not have non-participating hotel lists. To my knowledge, all properties participate in their promotions.
Neither does Hyatt. It all comes down how these programs fund these promotions. Hilton and SPG requires properties to chip in extra and thus they can opt out if they so choose.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2
Neither does Hyatt. It all comes down how these programs fund these promotions. Hilton and SPG requires properties to chip in extra and thus they can opt out if they so choose.
This has always confused me about Hilton, they put their name on these properties but there is no consistency to the services or how they interact with the HHonors program. Why have loyal customers who can be go to these properties thinking they will be treated as an elite for their loyalty with the person checking you in knowing nothing about the program!

There should be some accountability by the property to be all in like we the customers are need to be so that we can get stay status.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by san888
This has always confused me about Hilton, they put their name on these properties but there is no consistency to the services or how they interact with the HHonors program. Why have loyal customers who can be go to these properties thinking they will be treated as an elite for their loyalty with the person checking you in knowing nothing about the program!

There should be some accountability by the property to be all in like we the customers are need to be so that we can get stay status.
At least it is better than Best Western's program. Other than BW, I feel like Hilton is my only real choice, since often it is a BW and a Hampton that are the only quality choices where I travel to.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by formeraa

An idea. For every HHonors hotel, the hotel home page currently shows very prominently the HHonors category. I think Hilton should show in the same box, very prominently, "Participating in all current promotions" with a bold Yes or No answer. If a hotel chooses not to participate, fine. But at least they can't hide behind fine print. I bet this would impact at least some of the hotel decisions.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by prushing
I'm not sure what happens on the Hilton to local property side, but on the local side they base it off reservations. The hotel I mentioned earlier was booked almost 100% months in advance for the 6 months previously I had stayed there. It was because of a corp head quarters there and only 3 total Hilton properties in the area. 2 of the Hiltons were booked solid, the other was a lesser quality option. I spoke to the GM and was told basically they were booked solid for the quarter and they didn't see why they needed to participate in the promotion. They had previously been in the last 2Qs promotions. I told him I would be switching my reservations and others would be also. I guess enough people left as they were back participating the next quarter.

Hilton needs to fine their properties, if they aren't already, that opt out. Its never good to advertise things and then have people show up expecting something but be denied because of the crazy fine print.
Or it's that the promo "costs" too much to them. I know of some that are fine with the current double points, but apparently didn't want to shell out the additional 5000 weekend points for the previous promotion.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer737
An idea. For every HHonors hotel, the hotel home page currently shows very prominently the HHonors category. I think Hilton should show in the same box, very prominently, "Participating in all current promotions" with a bold Yes or No answer. If a hotel chooses not to participate, fine. But at least they can't hide behind fine print. I bet this would impact at least some of the hotel decisions.
It would be great if they automatically sorted them to the bottom of the list and also let you filter them out completely when searching ... that would shrink the list to almost nothing
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Just tried and it is still down. Starting to book/ look at my bookings for the end of July beginning of August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.