Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

New HH Promo 'Triple your Trip' AUG1-OCT31

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
This wiki captures the main points of the Q3 offer from Hilton as posted by HHonorsRepresentative. The main focus of the thread posts has shifted to discuss the high number of opt out hotels for this promotion. Nothing stopping you from adding other useful information or discussion points to this wiki or to the thread! @:-)

Hilton Q3 Promotion: Triple Your Trip

Offer Details:

Earn Triple Points Friday through Sunday

Earn Double Points Monday through Thursday

Stays must be completed between August 1, 2014 and October 31, 2014 at participating hotels and resorts

Register using this link (Many of you may have already registered! If you received a confirmation email, then the promotion code has already dropped on your account and re-registration would not be necessary)

A full list of non-participating hotels and resorts can be found here

A FAQ for this promotion can be found here

Notes from HHonorsRepresentative about the high number of opt out hotels:

As many of you have already noted, more hotels and resorts have chosen to opt-out of this particular promotion compared to previous offers. We understand that having options when you book stays with us is very important and we do our best to encourage hotels and resorts to participate in our promotions. While we hope our promotions work for most hotels, sometimes individual hotels do not have a need for a little extra help filling their rooms. Many hotels are individually owned and operated so we let them make that decision based on their demand. Additionally, many hotels and resorts see spikes in occupancy this time of year, which explains why some hotels have opted-out.

Please do update this wiki with any other useful info or to correct any mistakes.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Emirates Gold
This is very disappointing indeed. All of my stays are in London; 9 times out of 10 at the Canary Wharf location, although I am giving the Doubletree Tower of London another chance by throwing a few bookings their way.

I did expect better from CW on the decision to opt out of this promotion and will now look at other options with a view to cancelling my reservations for the year.

I think those that opt out should at least offer an alternative promotion, or maybe the x3 promo should have been cancelled when Hilton HQ found out how many hotels wanted to opt out, and instead use a more suitable promotion which involved all, or near to all, hotels participating. Rather than now having no promotion at all for my chosen hotel.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Marriott which is the only other comparable chain at least in numbers and breadth never allows anyone to opt out.

The argument about privately owned is specious since all the chains have a majority of their Hotels privately owned.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:59 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Bluefan75
But again, Anthony, someone at your office has to have noticed that this isn't a one-off because of summer. I can say with virtual certainty that each quarter's promo opt out list is larger than the previous one, going back quite some time.

I know you're just doing you're job, and I can't say enough about how big an improvement you are over previous incarnations of the Hhonors representative, but I would have to say that between the trend I just mentioned, and the fact it is up to one third of all properties, this is more than just a case of "don't need that extra help to get rooms booked."
I hear you! Let me investigate a little bit to see if I can gather more information. I am out of the office today and Friday, so it may take a few days, but I will post back here with an update if I can get more clarity around this.

Originally Posted by sethb
I'm still waiting to hear about the Doubletree that decided not to give me Diamond benefits a few weeks ago. So far, it appears that hotels can opt out of elite benefits.
Hi there, sorry to hear this! I just followed-up with the representative who is assisting with this to see what the status is.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
The list of UK hotels opting out is getting worryingly big... not sure I have ever seen anywhere near that many. Hopefully it doesn't start looking like the US on the next promo
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
The list of opt-outs in the San Jose, San Francisco, and Sacramento metro areas is stunning. I spot checked 30+ hotels that are near my home, my office, and my frequent weekend destinations and all but two of them opted out. Some I can sorta understand as they routinely command high prices because of low vacancy, but others that opted out often tout rates as low as $60/night to attract business.

I think management companies are applying their decisions across the board for all of their Hilton properties, not picking and choosing based on some of the locations listed and not listed in close proximity. What is incredibly disheartening is I see a few properties which never were on any exclusion list pop up this round.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by MrLee
I think those that opt out should at least offer an alternative promotion, or maybe the x3 promo should have been cancelled when Hilton HQ found out how many hotels wanted to opt out, and instead use a more suitable promotion which involved all, or near to all, hotels participating. Rather than now having no promotion at all for my chosen hotel.
I don't know that it's as simple as canceling a promotion and replacing it with another that is more attractive to the property. Any promo will involve a property dishing out X bonus points, which I suspect is the issue. The properties just don't want to pony up.

The constant devaluations and the increasing number of properties that opt-out are certainly cause for concern about the future of this program. I have chosen a Hilton hotel for my vacation this year and thankfully it is participating in the promotion. The Hilton footprint is definitely an advantage, but if they're going to keep making it more challenging to earn points towards their sky-high redemption rates, I will have to re-think my future hotel plans.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: Silver BAEC, Diamond Hilton Honors, Gold SPG

I am not sure how all the finances work, but I would hope that the cost to schemes participating is less than the cost of the promotion for that hotel (and in effect some of the cost spread to non-participating hotels) as by being part of a promotion the hotel is improving the hhonors brand, and no doubt the non-participaters benefit from people not bothering to check which hotels are on the list.

For the first time I'm going to a hotel not on a list, hilton Rotterdam. Admittedly I got it for a steal in the sale so can't be too annoyed.

As people have said, a promotion is not a right but given the number of opt-outs I would suggest that it would have to be made clearer that there was such a high number of non-participants
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
As posted by many FT-ers already, nearly 1/3 of HH properties are NOT participating. See LL's post here:

http://loyaltylobby.com/2014/07/22/h...iliated-hotels

Pretty sad. One of the reasons I stay with HH is it's coverage. This type of promo essentially makes that footprint smaller.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by mnredfox
As posted by many FT-ers already, nearly 1/3 of HH properties are NOT participating. See LL's post here:

Pretty sad. One of the reasons I stay with HH is it's coverage. This type of promo essentially makes that footprint smaller.
And combined with the 2nd huge devaluation in less than five years and seeing I can get free wifi and a GUARANTEED 4 p.m. checkout at SPG's with the Delta crossover program, SPG keeps looking more attractive every month.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Internationally the list is less distressing but ironically the only to hotel to opt out in South America is the Hilton Buenos Aires. It is a great hotel and I have enjoyed my stays there but this gives me incentive to try a different property. My Argentinean friends have been trying to get me to stay in another area of town - this is just the nudge I needed. I realized earlier this year that the brand loyalty that I have exhibited over the last 18 years had suited me well but that the current HH environment does not warrant the same level of dedication as the value of the relationship to me has deteriorated to a level of almost insignificance. I book Hilton when it suits me, but have started trying other options including some fantastic local boutique hotels in Europe. I will continue to stay at Hiltons that suit my needs but am no longer going out of my way to stay brand loyal.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
I just noticed my preferred hotel in Richmond isn't participating, and they've always participated before. This is so upsetting. I'm at the hotel now and will try to speak with whoever makes this decisions and let them know that people are checking this, and I will take my business and incidental spending elsewhere during the promotion period. I'll likely move to the Hyatt House which is brand new and right up the road.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
Originally Posted by mnredfox

Immense list of opt outs, including the great majority of Dutch hotels which I stay at quite a lot.

Bad promo. Hilton will not have many stays from me in Q3, will look elsewhere.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Michael19887
I just noticed my preferred hotel in Richmond isn't participating, and they've always participated before. This is so upsetting. I'm at the hotel now and will try to speak with whoever makes this decisions and let them know that people are checking this, and I will take my business and incidental spending elsewhere during the promotion period. I'll likely move to the Hyatt House which is brand new and right up the road.
I noticed the Hilton Short Pump was not participating and I think that is the first time I have seen them on the non-participation list. Its a shame because I really like that hotel.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:40 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative

As many of you have already noted, more hotels and resorts have chosen to opt-out of this particular promotion compared to previous offers. We understand that having options when you book stays with us is very important and we do our best to encourage hotels and resorts to participate in our promotions. While we hope our promotions work for most hotels, sometimes individual hotels do not have a need for a little extra help filling their rooms. Many hotels are individually owned and operated so we let them make that decision based on their demand. Additionally, many hotels and resorts see spikes in occupancy this time of year, which explains why some hotels have opted-out.

Thanks!
Anthony
Thanks for the update Anthony.

Another poster had a great idea, when I pull up the list of hotels for Greensboro or Savannah (my normal go to spots) it would be really nice to see a symbol next to the hotel listing that shows participation in the current promotion.

Another "go to spot" for me is Huntsville, AL and virtually every property there has opted out. I can assure you, I can and will drive fifteen miles from Decatur for 2X points. And then I may well keep doing that after this promotion is over.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by DevilDawg1960
I will continue to stay at Hiltons that suit my needs but am no longer going out of my way to stay brand loyal.
+1 ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.