Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, EL Al ???, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
So did Hilton roll out some new pricing yesterday? (BTW, I am Diamond)
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm using VPN right now with complimentary Internet and no problems.

I can complete understand video streaming not being included- if VPN no however this would really not work for most corporate customers (or anyone interested in their internet security for that matter).
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:18 am

Yeah, no VPN would be a big problem.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:07 pm

OP, please retitle this thread, as the current title gives the impression this is an issue beyond a single property.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
About a month ago, I couldn't even connect to either of the wireless signals in my room. Hilton IT "opened a ticket". No response, of course.

Different hotel right now, I've been unable to watch YouTube videos for over 24 hours. Also, .gif files download incredibly slowly, if at all. I continually get error messages in Gmail saying "lost connection" or "slow connection".

SpeedTest.net shows 2.5 Mbps down and 1.1 Mbps up. VPN is working, but took much longer than normal to connect.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:58 pm

How would you block VPN access and still have internet access ?

I'm guessing you are connecting to your companies VPN which unless you are on site ( at your company ) means you always use some sort of Internet access to get on the VPN ?

Are you sure your companies VPN wasn't the issue ?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:43 pm

I don't want to change the title until someone can tell me that this is the only property. I will check with the front desk shortly. 1 other person posted that their internet is also very slow. Yes, I will add to my original post that images load very slow as well.

As to VPN, my guess is that technically it will work, but because it would be so slow it may not be useable. I don't use a VPN for the most part. I use Remote desktop, and that seemed to be ok earlier today.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by flyer4512
How would you block VPN access and still have internet access ?

I'm guessing you are connecting to your companies VPN which unless you are on site ( at your company ) means you always use some sort of Internet access to get on the VPN ?

Are you sure your companies VPN wasn't the issue ?
Easy to block the ports that VPNs commonly use.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by smmrfld
OP, please retitle this thread, as the current title gives the impression this is an issue beyond a single property.
Yes this thread title is misleading.

This forum is full of reports of internet being limited or slow at a particular property. That is NOT indicative of an Hilton-wide policy change.

It's unfortunate that some choose drama over accuracy.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:04 pm
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by ElieW
Did I miss something? I checked in to my hotel (HGI) Monday night and internet was lightning fast. On Tuesday night it's pretty slow and no videos will stream. This morning, when I log on, I have to sign back in (after 24 hours). The page now has several options for internet access.

There is a note that complimentary internet is only for email, chat, and browsing. Streaming and VPN are not included in complimentary access.
  • Diamond and Gold (always Complimentary)
  • Complimentary
  • Premium $4.95 for full internet
I have the same issue at a HGI in Richmond, VA

Was fine Sunday night and Monday but, last night, YouTube videos would no longer load and other sites hosting videos (such as Facebook) wouldn't play either.

And I have the same options (Diamond, Complimentary, and $4.95 for Premium)
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
what is being discussed in the below thread may be getting rolled out to more locations;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...e-benefit.html
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Kacee

This forum is full of reports of internet being limited or slow at a particular property. That is NOT indicative of an Hilton-wide policy change.

Agreed. Reading that title made me think Hilton had made an announcement!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by havnfn
I have the same issue at a HGI in Richmond, VA

Was fine Sunday night and Monday but, last night, YouTube videos would no longer load and other sites hosting videos (such as Facebook) wouldn't play either.

And I have the same options (Diamond, Complimentary, and $4.95 for Premium)
+1

My previous post was from a HGI in Northwest Atlanta.

Last night and this morning, I had the same options listed above.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Kacee

Not sure I'd agree. This is a little beyond what you describe, I'd think. The reports that you're referring to, if they're what I've seen, are from folks who state that the internet is unusably slow, but still the whole internet. Here, OP is stating that there is a written policy that certain end-uses are blocked to certain users. If Hilton corporate allows that to stand then yes, I would say that that is tantamount to a reduction in the benefit for elite members.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:54 am

Sorry, I don't seem to be able to change the thread title. I would add 3 question marks to the title. "Complimentary internet no longer includes video or VPN???"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.