Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
The other weird thing about this, at least until now is the 4 or 5 Doubletrees I've stayed at in the past month or two all had free and decent speed wifi for all guests, not just HH elites. I'm wondering if this will stick or not.

The few times I have been at a Hampton Inn or HGI, wifi was free and decent speed.

Why is the Hilton brand seemingly affected? I wonder about the others like WA and Conrad.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:53 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So, an HH "benefit" is "free" wifi that's worse than the 4G or LTE on many smartphones?

Good luck with that, Hilton.
Is it really a benefit if every guest in the hotel gets it, regardless of status?

I wonder about the others like WA and Conrad.
WA Edinburgh has been moved to the new system.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: United Premier 1k, Avis First, HHonor Diamond, Marriot Gold
Gold/Diamond Internet......not so free anymore.

So I may be late to the game here, but I am frustrating with a perk I use to enjoy that now I don't exactly enjoy anymore.

So Gold/Diamond are suppose to get internet access free of charge. Well apparently there are two levels of internet access now.

Complimentary (Translation - so slow that Gold/Diamond members will pick the price option)

Premium at cost (Translation - not really that fast, but WebEx works a little bit)

My bill showed a total of 40 dollars for 3 days worth of internet access. I was told by a previous hotel that it doesn't matter which option you pick internet is free. But this hotel billed me.

Now, I did contact the hotel but they wouldn't do anything about it.

My response was pretty much "So I get slow internet for free, huh?". I may sound like a spoiled guy, but a perk is a perk. My loyalty is going unrewarded. Does Marriott do the same thing?

Secondly, I feel like they are skirting around the advertised perk of free internet for Gld/Dmd members. "Hey we are losing a lot of money on free internet, lets give them a slow option and call it complimentary of which they will hopefully choose to buy internet from us. "

Thoughts?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See these threads for a start:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...+complimentary
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:57 am

The last two properties I stayed at with Hilton had the following outcomes.

HGI - Idaho Falls, ID. Premium internet at 4.95 per day. Complimentary free option available. Chose 4.95 per day. Hotel would not remove charges b/c I picked premium.

Hampton Inn Riverside - Premium internet at 4.95 per day. Complimentary free option available. Chose 4.95 per day.Hotel did remove charges for internet after I called them.

My opinion - This is Hilton's way of saying "Hey, here is a super slow internet speed that is fast enough for a Google search, but if you want to get your business work done (WebEx, Video tele conference, VPN, etc) then you need to pay for it."

Crappy!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
I hate to say this but, I have been seeing the same thing at Marriotts. It is really quite sad.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by acvitale
I hate to say this but, I have been seeing the same thing at Marriotts. It is really quite sad.
I have seen the exact opposite with marriott. Yes they are doing the free internet for all that is slower then any dialup used to be(reminds me of a 1200baud connection) but I am also seeing and being told since I am a platinum to choose the paid option and it will be taken off my bill which it has.

They want to offer free internet to all but are also wanting to make good on the promise of free internet for gold/platinum as well with giving the higher speed for free.

I actually like the change as I am getting faster speeds then what I used to at some properties the old way.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I have always received the higher speed internet free at Marriott. I mostly stay at Marriott hotels in the USA, and I don't have any reports on stays outside the U.S. since June 2014, but at domestic locations internet was free for me as recently as two weeks ago.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Air Houston
I have always received the higher speed internet free at Marriott. I mostly stay at Marriott hotels in the USA, and I don't have any reports on stays outside the U.S. since June 2014, but at domestic locations internet was free for me as recently as two weeks ago.
Marriott's policy is to offer the HIGHEST speed free to Plats and at least the slowest speed to all MR members.

Since Hilton is going to mirror Marriott's new cancel policy in January, I hope they also copy their internet policy and offer the highest speed for free to Hilton Diamonds.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: National executive elite, Marriott gold, Hilton diamond, swa cp, DL DM
This is aweful I can barely hit 1 mb up and down. So much for being productive on the road. Does anyone know what SPGs policy is on this?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: AA ExP, HH Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Stayed at NY Hilton Times Square over the weekend. Complimentary wifi was offered for Diamond/Gold - but it was as slow as molasses. There was an option to select 'higher speed' or some such at an upcharge of $17.99 a day - that I didn't bother with - although the the connectivity was so slow as to render anything 'heavier' than email impossible to use effectively.

/ckd
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:36 am

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
SPG

Highest tier for platinum is comped and gold can select Internet as their welcome amenity.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:26 am

Here is the response I got from a Hilton property. If you can read through the bad English, let me know what you think.

Good Morning Justin ~

Hilton Garden Inn's rolled out the new internet tier's earlier this year... Based on comments that they were getting that the internet was slow... (due to more people streaming video) they came up with a solutions... The internet that we've always offered is complimentary to all guest which allows you do to your basic work (check emails, read the news or chatting with friends) The Premium internet which you have to switch to is $4.95 per day... (This is something you have to accept the terms and conditions.)

Free internet is a My Way choice at the Full Service Hilton's or Embassy Suites where they do charge for internet and don't offer complimentary internet access.. Maybe down the road HHonors will switch the option for My Choices for the HGI brand but, currently where we offer complimentary internet and offer a premium internet choice for a charge they haven't made any changes...

I've attached some screen shots to explain a little better.

Please let me know if you have any other questions... and please know we appreciate your loyalty.

Angie Mago
Director of Sales
Hilton Garden Inn
700 Lindsay Blvd.
Idaho Falls Idaho 83402
208-522-9500 x710
208-339-7222 cell
208-522-9501 fax
Like us on..... Have a small meeting or group block ?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Marriott's policy is to offer the HIGHEST speed free to Plats and at least the slowest speed to all MR members.
Originally Posted by dshafiee
[SPG] Highest tier for platinum is comped and gold can select Internet as their welcome amenity.
Similarly, my experience with Hyatt is that free upgraded internet is an unpublished Diamond benefit.

So Hilton is lagging their major competitors here. This is a major downgrade to Hilton elite status and will absolutely affect my stay decisions.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Starwood and Hilton moving in opposite directions!

Hilton HHonors is going in the opposite direction of Starwood SPG. Beginning in February, Gold members of Starwood will receive the highest speed of internet for free (they will not have to choose it as an alternate amenity). Platinum members already receive this benefit. Announcement made today:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...s-spg-app.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.