Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer
What do I need on most stays in a hotel?
1) A clean comfortable room
2) working internet.

Full stop.

Internet that does not allow me to make a skype video call for free in today's day and age is plain uncompetitive for someone staying at hotels as regular as a HH Diamond.
I agree. But most people don't. All you have to do is see the other thread
" Internet at Hilton properties still unusable" and see how many people are satisfied with 2001 era sub 1 mbps service. Sad but true. So don't expect anything better from Hilton.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Getting charged at any speed

Originally Posted by mstan
I agree. But most people don't. All you have to do is see the other thread
" Internet at Hilton properties still unusable" and see how many people are satisfied with 2001 era sub 1 mbps service. Sad but true. So don't expect anything better from Hilton.
My last three stays this past week at Hilton Hotels did not provide free internet access at any speed. When checking in I asked about coupon / code for the internet and each time was told to use my HH number and PIN. All three times after entering the information I was presented with the option to pay for low or more money for high speed internet. I assumed this was an IT problem and selected low speed on one occasion and high speed on a second occasion. In both cases they added the charge to my bill. Instead of being able to check out quickly I had to get the front desk to take the charge off of my bill. In my view this is very unprofessional and I wonder how many people with gold or diamond level status simply let it slide through the Hilton system. This is a change I certainly do not like. Fortunately I alway have the option of tethering my phone to my laptop.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:59 pm

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Diamond since 97

Next year will be my last. Diamond since 97. Switched to SPG 5 years ago and maintained both SPG Platinum Ambassador and Hilton Diamond. spg even at platinum blows Hilton away.

No lifetime, horrible redemption, cancellation gone. What's next?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Who are the people in Hilton management who make such incredibly stupid decisions?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:07 pm

I am pretty much done with Hilton too, as my primary/usual choice once all my points I had been saving for Maldives are gone. I'll consider all other properties that have decent internet first. Unlike most people in the other thread, good internet is a must for me. I had to resort to using my Tmobile phone connection at a cool 20mbps, though in doing so I ran through a substantial portion of my 2.5 GB pretty fast.

Even if I was not diamond, I would not pay 5 bucks for crappy 5mbps (2005 era) service. Would rather pay a little more to Tmobile and get more data to tether with.

This is purely a money grab from Hilton. Also, I really question their judgement in selecting AT&T's poor service for the last 5-7 years. Before they used AT&T, I remember the service was always pretty good.

Think about it this way: home internet costs less than $2.00 a day for home use, for which I get 120mbps at two different homes from Time Warner and Comcast. Surely at volume, Hilton's costs would be less than that per room day, and yet they want to provide unacceptable year 2000 to 2005 speeds and charge even their elites for it, when it should be free to everyone as is the heating and water. Absolutely pathetic situation.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Originally Posted by Football Fan
Who are the people in Hilton management who make such incredibly stupid decisions?
They are all right here: http://www.hiltonworldwide.com/about/leadership/

first.last at hilton dot com will get you in their inbox.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by little_dc
They are all right here: http://www.hiltonworldwide.com/about/leadership/

first.last at hilton dot com will get you in their spam box.
Fixed it. I doubt an unsolicited email would be read by anyone at corporate leadership.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
Marriott recently announced free wifi for all rewards members booking direct. So this move seems very uncompetitive.

I like having HH gold from the credit card and stay maybe five times a year where the hotel is a better fit or value than the Hyatt/SPG/Carlson options or a reward is good value. It is an excellent card perk, but I do not for the life of me see why anyone would stay enough to earn gold or diamond unless there are no other options for location/budget. Low value points and weak benefits.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
I'm finding all e-standby upgrades are now paid too........... I hope this is just testing something out and is not permanent.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ENIAC
. . .

Low value points and weak benefits.
. . . which are becoming weaker.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Skimanant
I'm finding all e-standby upgrades are now paid too........... I hope this is just testing something out and is not permanent.
The shift to NOR1 is a 3rd party company selling this nor1 revenue software to hotels. It is not going away and will only become more prevalent/worse.

Only 9months ago I typically used to typically book entry room, see my free Exec room a week out and then tick for a junior suite.

In the last 6months, i am finding i am NOT even upgraded to deluxe the next level up wthin a fewdays like before , so to tickbox for junior suite is a bigger differential. No longer exec-j/s at 50% of room difference BUT now EntryLevel Room - J/suite 50% off which i will not do.

If you read the links to company promoting their nor1 software to hotels, that is what the nor1's company training of using nor1 s/w says to do, don't upgrade early so we have to pay the full differential to better rooms.

I now see my upgrades only being posted 8pm day before checkin, and as within 24hours of checkin, I can't the tick upgrade from exec to j/s. So while hotel may make money somewhere else, I have not paid an upgrade in 40nights of stays the last 6months, due to this new hotel nor1 revenue earning s/w

Worse as Hilton is "space available upgrades" some hotels even want to chage to guarantee yourself that 1-level upgrade we expect.

Last edited by scubaccr; Dec 7, 2014 at 9:31 pm
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Hilton is pretending it is an airline that has a corner on the market. The consolidation of hotels has not been as crazy as the airlines. We truly have a choice. We will chose with our heads in beds.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: Spg plat
Being a platinum in spg and a diamond in hhonors in las vegas, the recognition is such great difference, at Westin las vegas i get free internet throughout the hotel, full buffet breakfast, evening cocktail not mentioning the welcome fruit platter, at tropicana las vegas, i get 1mb free wifi, u wan more pay 9.99 for 5mb, continental breakfast, buy one free one drinks in the evening, no welcome amenities, this is the end for my hilton journey, for now i will just stick to spg, hhonors diamond recognition is useless, 1mb!?!?! Wat can u do with 1mb..
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, EL Al ???, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

We provide Gold and Diamond members at all of our hotels that do not require a resort charge complimentary standard internet. We've added a paid premium tier for those who require more bandwidth to download large files and stream high definition media. The price for Premium Internet access will vary by property.

We expect that guests should be able to access VPN using all levels of internet service, however Premium access would likely provide an optimal user experience because of the volume of data that is transmitted via VPN and other similar applications.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Cheers,
Erin
Again, why are you stripping away Diamond benefits?

There was a new survey that just came out that stated in no uncertain terms that users value a good internet connection above a good night's rest. I don't have the link, but I'm sure you are well aware of it.

Poor choice indeed. The promised speed was 1.5mb for free, however even at this speed regular pages were slow to load, so there is clearly some other form of speed restriction going on.

I will consider hotels with free premium first.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

We provide Gold and Diamond members at all of our hotels that do not require a resort charge complimentary standard internet. We've added a paid premium tier for those who require more bandwidth to download large files and stream high definition media. The price for Premium Internet access will vary by property.

We expect that guests should be able to access VPN using all levels of internet service, however Premium access would likely provide an optimal user experience because of the volume of data that is transmitted via VPN and other similar applications.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Cheers,
Erin
With all due respect, Erin, thank you for addressing the situation, but would you consider taking the voice of this forum, and the displeasure with this situation back to the powers that be at Hilton Worldwide?

The "standard" internet is, at the current speeds we're seeing, NOT useful for anything more than checking email. Most of us can do that anyways on our phones these days. There must be some benefit to your Diamond members. Or, if the Diamond members continue to be treated the same as anyone else, these loyal guests will cease to exist in your hallways and in your rooms. They'll be next door at a Marriott property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.