Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:43 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by hugolover
Can you officially confirm that the Gold and Diamond benefit has been downgraded then? Before G&D got free 'high speed Internet' and now its free for everyone along with G&D? That makes sense how exactly? It was £15 before and it was free for G&D and now its £10 and fast which before was free but now its not free?
Hi there,

Happy to clarify. I just want to confirm the intricacies of this policy with my team to gather more insight. I will keep you in the loop as soon as I hear back.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Originally Posted by hugolover
Can you officially confirm that the Gold and Diamond benefit has been downgraded then? Before G&D got free 'high speed Internet' and now its free for everyone along with G&D? That makes sense how exactly? It was £15 before and it was free for G&D and now its £10 and fast which before was free but now its not free?
That's exactly how I see it. Having Gold/Diamond has no benefit with regards to the internet in these properties.

I'm sure this change will make a large % of their (non status) customers happy, but is a downgrade for Gold and Diamond customers, and in effect cuts one of the benefits.

The free service is totally useless most of the time.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Another grumpy gold here - used to have super fast access, now it's "free" it's super slow or I have to pay.

I just paid and then told reception that the free wasn't good enough at the Edinburgh -they weren't happy but then refunded it.

At the Caley I get free wifi with my work rate - they didn't use to bother giving me the vouchers as gold but now they do as they know it's too slow otherwise.

Really unhappy about this though, I expect high speed internet as a perk like I get at Marriott.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Tropicana, Las Vegas, is a good example of this. I'm a Diamond member, and the free Internet I get there has a spped of 1Mb down / 0.3Mb up. That's crazy. It is stone age speed and can't be used for anything!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:44 am

Damn, well this just about kills Hilton for me (Liked the Comped Breakfast and hi-speed internet for Gold). I was looking at getting into a loyalty program, I plan to start traveling for work soon. Looks like my search might continue.

Anthony - Have you been able to verify anything?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Do other programs (SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.) implement a two-tier wi-fi scheme for their loyalty members? I suppose if Hilton is the only one trying to "up-charge" for faster internet while other chains don't, it may cost future bookings from business travelers.
And increase bookings from random leisure travelers. If you go to TA, the number one complaint from travelers is paying for WIFI. If Hilton wants to attract new business away from Marriott or Starwood then this is a great way to do it.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Offering free basic Wi-Fi to the masses is a great idea but why take away the fast connection from Elites? Makes no sense to upgrade everybody else but punish your loyal guests. Trying to tell us to get out the door perhaps?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:18 pm
whl

Conrad Tokyo also have the free (Gold and Diamond) and premium broadband. Free is slow .......
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
That seems reasonable, perhaps Hilton will follow their lead.
Yes Hilton, time to follow the lead and do things to make your most loyal elite feel more special. This and the 4pm checkout would be great.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:13 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
A question for Anthony,

Is this being rolled out quickly and aggressively across all locations and brands or is it worth us having a wiki on this thread to identify those properties where golds and diamonds now get unserviceable slow internet?

Does anyone know which Edinburgh properties are affected? Is it all of them or just the Grosvenor?

It's kind of a big deal, I am sure ours is not the only company that is heavily dependent on SaaS and cloud based shared drives. I see now on sites like despegar.com that room rates at the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor now show as wifi included. If it's a Hilton then I think there is the expectation that the wifi will work nicely. So surely leisure guests are just going to switch from complaining that the wifi has to be paid for to now complaining that the wifi is free but not very good.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:57 am

edinburgh

Hi

pretty much all the hiltons i have been to in scotland have had slow wifi. only the edinburgh grosvenor, edinburgh airport and glasgow grosvenor have the free wifi. the doubletrees are still pay but the free wifi for hh members is still slow. this really did not need to be the case.

am at the glasgow Grosvenor now and they have given me a code but it isn't much better than the complementary wifi so off to tackle reception about that now!

Hugo
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:06 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks Hugo.

Any idea from reception if this is a worldwide thing or they are just trialling it in Scotland to see how much it upsets people?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Hilton Northampton is another hotel which has gone from being a 10 to 15 meg connection to 1 meg if lucky
The last 10 stays I have been unable to connect at all with my phone and just get a message that the network is disabled because internet connection is slow!!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:05 am

glasgow

Spoke to the duty manager. He comped a meal because of the issues. he does not know how widespread it is. However, he told me to connect to the premium internet and they would refund - now that works at about the speed I would expect it to. I said to him that I was concerned that this would not happen in the future. Doubletrees seem unaffected so far but my next actual Hilton stay is in Newport in about 10 days so will update.

to the other poster, is the Northampton Hilton also offering complementary wifi or just the paid option gone slow?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by runarbg
Tropicana, Las Vegas, is a good example of this. I'm a Diamond member, and the free Internet I get there has a spped of 1Mb down / 0.3Mb up. That's crazy. It is stone age speed and can't be used for anything!
And not to mentioned the Trop charges diamonds a resort fee on top of it and gives an awful breakfast.

As a Hyatt Diamond I have never been charged for the fastest speed internet. I know Marriott doesn't charge their Plats a fee for the fastest speed and as AFAIK SPG doesn't charge Plats.

Hilton needs to give their diamonds the fastest speed for free as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.