Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: Yes please
Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
If you put your room name/number in the login page it now asks you to pay £9.99 per day if you want the 'premium' wifi. So premium not free for gold or diamond members.
I have regularly been told to log in in this way with the assurance that as a Diamond I would not be billed and so it has proved.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Asked about the £9.99 Premium Access last night and was told not free for Golds (not sure about diamond).

The guy on reception kindly gave me another access code so I could get onto premium for nothing, but it didn't work. In the end logged into my bt broadband account which was slightly better speed wise than the complementary but not much better.

Defiantely something to watch out for. I think this will be appearing at more UK Hiltons very soon. A big devaluation of the free internet benefit. It's not really a benefit at all if you're just getting the (rubbish) slow complimentary wifi that everyone else is getting.

He suggested the Premium Wifi may be appearing as a My Way option in the future?? Sigh...

Last edited by lifetimeblue; Nov 20, 2014 at 1:30 am
Old May 13, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Just to add, this may actually be why 'High Speed' was dropped from the emails and the T & C's. http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/12/15/h...amond-benefit/

I think both the Glasgow Hiltons are company owned, so maybe one of the first to get the new 2 tier WiFi system rolled out. Not good.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:56 am

Wifi hhonors benefit change

hi

i read more than post but have not noticed this on the forum so thought i would add.

there seems to be a benefit change in the wifi offered in the edinburgh and glasgow hlltons which is somewhat disappointing. they are now offering complimentary wifi to everyone and then the opportunity to purchase premium wifi at a £10 cost but the problem is that the complimentary wifi is a lot slower than we used to get as diamond guests.

i wonder if anyone knows anything about this or whether Anthony can enlighten us.

thanks
Hugo
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by hmlg
hi

i read more than post but have not noticed this on the forum so thought i would add.

there seems to be a benefit change in the wifi offered in the edinburgh and glasgow hlltons which is somewhat disappointing. they are now offering complimentary wifi to everyone and then the opportunity to purchase premium wifi at a £10 cost but the problem is that the complimentary wifi is a lot slower than we used to get as diamond guests.

i wonder if anyone knows anything about this or whether Anthony can enlighten us.

thanks
Hugo
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...e-benefit.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...me-hotels.html
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hi

thanks
Hugo
It's not good Hugo indeed but I'm sure you've noticed that the Hilton Glasgow is falling down fast, its TA ratings are also very poor which has an absolute link with revenues. The Executive Lounge is so bad now I'd rather stay at the Grosvenor and get a drink in the bar especially when that means I can have a G&T vs p*ss poor wine and beer in the dungeon "lounge'.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:50 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
hi

thanks
Hugo
Hi hmlg, good question. From your post, it sounds like this hotel has introduced premium internet access. How I understand it is in these instances, all guests, regardless of HHonors status, are required to pay for the premium service but will have access to basic internet.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi hmlg, good question. From your post, it sounds like this hotel has introduced premium internet access. How I understand it is in these instances, all guests, regardless of HHonors status, are required to pay for the premium service but will have access to basic internet.
Can you officially confirm that the Gold and Diamond benefit has been downgraded then? Before G&D got free 'high speed Internet' and now its free for everyone along with G&D? That makes sense how exactly? It was £15 before and it was free for G&D and now its £10 and fast which before was free but now its not free?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:00 pm

grosvenor

Hi
sadly, it is the grosvenor that I am talking about.

in response to Anthony, i think this needs looking into more. when it is a case of the basic internet not being fit for purpose as has been the case, then I am not sure the hotel is honouring our diamond benefit. In the letter we are given it says: "the higher bandwidth i required if you wish to use services such as Skype, youtube etc." now the hilton benefits do not say that we only get internet for some things.

to their credit the hotel gave me a code to sort this out but I wonder how long that will last!

Hugo
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:19 pm

Do other programs (SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.) implement a two-tier wi-fi scheme for their loyalty members? I suppose if Hilton is the only one trying to "up-charge" for faster internet while other chains don't, it may cost future bookings from business travelers.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Shame on Hilton for this lousy trick. They probably got a smarty pants 'analyst', who thought if the airlines can charge for bags, blankets etc., why doesn't Hilton try charging extra for something that they promise 'free'. Boo.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Do other programs (SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.) implement a two-tier wi-fi scheme for their loyalty members? I suppose if Hilton is the only one trying to "up-charge" for faster internet while other chains don't, it may cost future bookings from business travelers.
Some Starwood hotels do have tiered internet services with different speeds. However, SPG Platinum members are able to choose the highest speed available and it will be complimentary. If an SPG Gold member chooses high speed internet for their Gold amenity, they may choose the highest speed available and it will be at no charge.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
Some Starwood hotels do have tiered internet services with different speeds. However, SPG Platinum members are able to choose the highest speed available and it will be complimentary. If an SPG Gold member chooses high speed internet for their Gold amenity, they may choose the highest speed available and it will be at no charge.
That seems reasonable, perhaps Hilton will follow their lead.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:10 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Holiday Inn in the UK pulls the same trick I am afraid.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
And the hits just keep on coming. Don't take it personal as I know you are only a messenger but that is three nails for me. Not sure how many more nails I can take.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.