FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1532262-changes-free-wifi-elite-benefit.html)

skofarrell Dec 18, 2013 11:51 am

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Gleff reported a couple of days ago that it looked like Free WiFi for elites at Hilton was going away:
http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...elite-benefit/

And it looks to be true as the confirmation I received for my stay next week at an ES has changed from "Complimentary High Speed Internet Access" to "Lobby WiFi Internet Access"

This really sucks. I'm going to complain to Hilton, and suggest that if you value this benefit, you do the same.

jsmith50 Dec 18, 2013 11:59 am

Interesting observation...it had me double-checking my reservations and the fine print for my upcoming stays. Mine don't show any indication that in-room internet is going away as a benefit. And the HHonors website still shows:

Complimentary In-Room and Lobby Wi-Fi Internet Access during stays at Waldorf Astoria™ Hotels & Resorts, Conrad® Hotels & Resorts, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, DoubleTree by Hilton™, Embassy Suites Hotels™ and Hilton Grand Vacations™

shadowsjc Dec 18, 2013 12:06 pm

this is really stupid (if true).

YYZC2 Dec 18, 2013 12:23 pm

At most Marriott Courtyards I stay at, there is complimentary WiFi for all but an upgrade offer to "premium" speeds for $4.95 a day. That's what this sounds like.

Notenut Dec 18, 2013 12:26 pm

The title of this thread seems a little exaggerated. It appears that Hilton removed the words 'high speed' but the words 'in room' remain in the description of Diamond Benefits. Maybe because some properties don't have high speed? (just a guess) But there is no indication that wifi is being eliminated as an Elite benefit.

helosc Dec 18, 2013 12:29 pm

The lobby internet vs the highspeed internet notice seems to depend on when the bookings are made.
All bookings I made in November ( for next year ) show Highspeed internet and all the bookings I made in December ( also for next year ) show Lobby internet.

But it might just be a mistake because it seems to coincide with Hilton removing
highspeed internet for elite members ( in terms and conditions ). This does not necessarily mean no in-room internet but maybe a slower internet. Or maybe it is just that they don't want to use the term 'highspeed' so as not to get in to arguments about speed.

Notenut Dec 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by helosc (Post 21988989)
Or maybe it is just that they don't want to use the term 'highspeed' so as not to get in to arguments about speed.

Exactly, something along the lines of what happened in Berlin :D

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...e-waffles.html

Thunderroad Dec 18, 2013 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by YYZC2 (Post 21988944)
At most Marriott Courtyards I stay at, there is complimentary WiFi for all but an upgrade offer to "premium" speeds for $4.95 a day. That's what this sounds like.

That's my guess, though it's only a guess. Could be that some hotels are or will be offering two internet options, with an extra charge even for elites who get the basic internet service as a complimentary perk.

JohnnyColombia Dec 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by helosc (Post 21988989)
The lobby internet vs the highspeed internet notice seems to depend on when the bookings are made.
All bookings I made in November ( for next year ) show Highspeed internet and all the bookings I made in December ( also for next year ) show Lobby internet.

Where do you see the internet type shown on your reservation? Moot at the moment because Hilton.com seems to think that all my upcoming reservations are not linked to my account. But I would like to check later

helosc Dec 18, 2013 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia (Post 21989120)
Where do you see the internet type shown on your reservation? Moot at the moment because Hilton.com seems to think that all my upcoming reservations are not linked to my account. But I would like to check later

I don't see it on my reservations in my Hilton account.
But I see it on the reservation confirmation that Hilton emails me straight after booking. It is in the box called 'Hhonors Gold My Way on property benefits' together with the space available room upgrade notice.

JohnnyColombia Dec 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by helosc (Post 21989233)
I don't see it on my reservations in my Hilton account.
But I see it on the reservation confirmation that Hilton emails me straight after booking. It is in the box called 'Hhonors Gold My Way on property benefits' together with the space available room upgrade notice.

OK my reservations made in December say the same too. Complimentary LOBBY WIFI INTERNET ACCESS

I will email the hotel, I will be mightily cheesed off if this is the case

dw Dec 18, 2013 1:18 pm

I saw the change as recently as late last month on the e-mail confirmations. My issue is that the way it is formatted makes it a bit ambiguous.

It used to read:

Complimentary
HIGH-SPEED
INTERNET ACCESS

Now it reads:
Complimentary
LOBBY WI-FI
INTERNET ACCESS

So it could mean either (a) Lobby Wi-Fi Internet Access is complimentary, OR (b) Lobby Wi-Fi AND Internet Access (presumably in the room) is complimentary

festdave Dec 18, 2013 1:46 pm

My only reservation (made a month or so ago for later this week) reads:
"In-Room Wireless Internet: $9.95, Complimentary for HHonors Gold & Diamond"

festdave Dec 18, 2013 2:01 pm

I think what they've done is make a distinction between "lobby" wi-fi (which almost everyone gets) and "in-room" wi-fi, which comes only at certain brands or only with Gold or higher status. They've also removed "high-speed" from the wi-fi descriptions, probably from (overly, IMHO)-litigious complaints about what's "high".

Kacee Dec 18, 2013 4:30 pm

The title to this thread is misleading. There is no evidence Hilton is changing its elite benefits, just a change in wording to eliminate "high speed" as a descriptive.