Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club, National Exec something!
Originally Posted by Kacee
Similarly, my experience with Hyatt is that free upgraded internet is an unpublished Diamond benefit.

So Hilton is lagging their major competitors here. This is a major downgrade to Hilton elite status and will absolutely affect my stay decisions.
Agreed. Diamond here, 34 stays this year, 50ish nights. Next year will be far under this (shifting to Marriott mid-year) unless this is fixed.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Starwood free WIFi Feb 2015 - Hilton shorts business travelers

According to Australian Business Traveler:

The Starwood group will give SPG members free Internet across its family of hotels – including Sheraton, W, Westin, Le Meridien and Aloft – from February 2015.
If Hilton properties / Blackstone don't get with courtesy connectivity, I've little doubt this will cost them. Particularly since Hilton has throttled back speeds for courtesy connectivity for HHonors elites.

Dumb moves, Blackstone /Hilton!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
JDiver omits - or a sloppy ABT omits - that this Starwood internet benefit is only for SPG members booking through SPG web sites or the SPG app. Booking through corporate portals may not qualify. This isn't a move at all targeted to business travelers - it's for personal business where booking site and property chain are discretionary.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...s-spg-app.html
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
This topic is already being discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24012388-post117.html
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by kesco
Agreed. Diamond here, 34 stays this year, 50ish nights. Next year will be far under this (shifting to Marriott mid-year) unless this is fixed.
Diamond also. Over 30 stays, over 70 nights, nearly 100,000 based points (almost scored a hat trick).

Just spent 3 nights at a Crown Plaza. Was surprised to learn at check-in that I was still a Gold member (their mid-tier level), since typically I only stay at IHG properties 2 or 3 time per year (5 to 6 nights total).

After I read this thread, I did an in-room internet speed test. 10Mb upload. 10 Mb download. Consistently.

Free internet (provided free to all three levels in their program).

No hassle of having to pick a speed level. Straightforward log-in.

Hilton: you money-grubbers should be ashamed of yourselves.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, HHonors Diamond
I'm right now at Hilton Garden Inn Scottsdale Old Town. I have stayed here several times a year for 15 years, and I have always had good free Internet.
Not any more! Now they have drastically reduced the speed. Now I get 0.8 Mb down and 0.34 Mb up. That is stone age speed and can't be used for anything. They have introduced an option to PAY for better speed, but as a HHonors Diamond I refuse to do that.
This is really bad, and I'm sure that many loyal Hilton travelers will look at other hotels!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:06 am

I hope everybody will make their opinion about this known to Hilton. What is the best way for us to do that? (Does anybody have a contact for the executive office?)
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: SQ KF, A3 Gold, CI Dynasty, UA MileagePlus, ANA AMC, HH Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Recent stay at 3 Japan properties. For comparison, I used the same youtube video for all three properties.

Hilton Niseko: Internet speed was painfully slow. I was better off tethering my prepaid data from my mobile phone. Even those commercials that usually load before the actual youtube video was also buffering. You know you're @#$%-ed when that happens.

Hilton Tokyo Bay. Nice and fast. No complaints except for the occasional lag which I can live with.

Conrad Tokyo. There was an option for premium connection at 1000JPY/day. At check in was informed that premium connection is complimentary for HH Gold and Diamond but when I was in the room and tried to connect, premium connection still showed as chargeable. So I only used the free wifi option. The free internet option didnt have any noticeable lag though.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well Hyatt just officially announced that it will offer free wifi to all guests across all brands and that Plat and Diamond will get the free upgrade to premium internet.

So Hilton has officially been left in the dust by all major competitors now. Combined with all the website issues, this will undoubtedly cost them business in 2015.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well Hyatt just officially announced that it will offer free wifi to all guests across all brands and that Plat and Diamond will get the free upgrade to premium internet.

So Hilton has officially been left in the dust by all major competitors now. Combined with all the website issues, this will undoubtedly cost them business in 2015.
Hey HHRep, can you please share Jeff Zidell, VP Hyatt Gold Passport vision on this topic to the Hilton powers at be, Hyatt gets it.

"Hyatt hotels will be offering free Wi-Fi to all guests at all hotels and resorts worldwide independent of booking channel. Platinum and Diamond members will get a complimentary upgrade to premium Wi-Fi service where available. Guests will be able to access free Wi-Fi on an unlimited number of mobile devices in Hyatt-branded guest rooms and social spaces.

Internet connectivity is an integral part of daily life and essential for today’s traveler. Our guests should not have to remember which brands or locations offer it for free and which do not."
Hilton is NOW the ONLY major hotel chain to take away internet perks to VIPs. Way to go!

HILTON PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS - Internet connectivity is an integral part of daily life and essential for today’s traveler. ...guests should not have to remember which brands or locations offer it for free and which do not. - AMEN!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Unhappy IHG vs. Hilton

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Diamond also. Over 30 stays, over 70 nights, nearly 100,000 based points (almost scored a hat trick).

Just spent 3 nights at a Crown Plaza. Was surprised to learn at check-in that I was still a Gold member (their mid-tier level), since typically I only stay at IHG properties 2 or 3 time per year (5 to 6 nights total).

After I read this thread, I did an in-room internet speed test. 10Mb upload. 10 Mb download. Consistently.

Free internet (provided free to all three levels in their program).

No hassle of having to pick a speed level. Straightforward log-in.

Hilton: you money-grubbers should be ashamed of yourselves.
The other day at a Holiday Inn Express, I was able to download a Prime movie to my Kindle Fire in what I considered reasonable, if not blazing fast, time; at the nearby Doubletree, checking email messages is really pushing it.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:29 pm
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by RCTP
Conrad Tokyo. There was an option for premium connection at 1000JPY/day. At check in was informed that premium connection is complimentary for HH Gold and Diamond but when I was in the room and tried to connect, premium connection still showed as chargeable. So I only used the free wifi option. The free internet option didnt have any noticeable lag though.
At the Conrad, you should select the premium speed and it will not appear on your bill. The Conrad staff was correct - no charge for the highest speed for Diamonds (don't know about Golds). BTW, the wired connection at the Conrad is quite fast. I stream my Slingbox in HD over the wired connection with no hesitations at all. Use an HDMI cable to the TV from your laptop and you are all set.

I have had the same experience at a number of Hilton properties. Select the top speed but I never have been charged for it, most recently at the ES at LAX.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Like I said in my post 2 days ago, I'm now at Hilton Garden Inn Scottsdale Old Town and I get the lousy 0.8 Mb Internet download speed without paying extra. I asked the management here about it, and said that as a Diamond I'm not happy to have to PAY for the speed I have had here for years. I was surprised by the reply. Here it is :
"As a Diamond member you are eligible for a complimentary internet upgrade at Hilton Hotels. In the future make sure to use your Hilton honors number and pin number to log into the internet and you should automatically receive the upgraded speeds for free."
Is this true? I ALWAYS sign in with my HHonors number and pi, and I'm NEVER upgraded without paying.
I hope that Erin can comment on that.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Avis First, HHonor Diamond, Marriot Gold
Here is another response I got from HHonors. I will be taking my business to Marriott where they allow Platinums to pick any internet speed no matter the cost.

Dear Mr. Jeffus,

Please accept our sincerest apologies on behalf of the property for any aggravation or inconvenience experienced during your visit. Unfortunately, premium Internet is not covered under the Hilton Honors
complimentary Internet. It is the standard Internet that is We are unable to override the hotels procedures and guidelines nor offer a refund of the premium charge. When choosing premium Internet
it is an upgrade and there will be a fee associated no matter the Hilton family brand.

We do appreciate your feedback and value your continued loyalty.

Should you have any additional questions relative to this matter, please contact our Guest Assistance office at [email protected] or by calling 1-888-240-6152.

Sincere Regards,

Wilma C.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:57 pm
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by Justin7525
When choosing premium Internet
it is an upgrade and there will be a fee associated no matter the Hilton family brand.

Well, that is obviously not true. I always choose the highest speed and have never been charged (I always use my HH# and PIN). Could this be a property by property decision?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.