Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
The question is what constitutes "basic" WIFI. Hilton must have MBAs that are technically clueless making these decisions. 4 megabits down and 1 megabit up would be perfectly fine as basic. Charge the people extra if they want to stream movies but at least allow a Diamond business traveler to access their email and basic web with reasonable performance.

I cannot imagine them being allowed by the FCC to block WIFI hotspots. They are going to spend a lot of money in court if they try to do this. Not that it really matters though - I can just plug my LTE iPhone into my computer. I frequently get 30-80 megabits down with my LTE phone which has unlimited data.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Yet another reason I'm glad I dumped HHonors last year. Diamond runs out for me in 2 months. I've had about 5 Hilton nights this year as a result. Hyatt & SPG now have the majority of my business.

SPG led the way with free premium speed for Platinums. Hyatt is now doing it for Diamonds.

I'll maintain credit card gold at Hilton for those few times there is no Hyatt/SPG property where I need to stay, but they have lost a ton of revenue from me due to the continuing deterioration of Diamond.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
SPG give premium speed for GOLD and PLAT free wifi in FEB 2015 and standard For PREFERED
Hilton should separate speed for different elite at least GOLD AND DIAMOND must get highest speed.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Somehow, call me cynical if you will, but I sense the phrase, "Business travelers can 'expense' it!" has been heard at Hilton HQ.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Somehow, call me cynical if you will, but I sense the phrase, "Business travelers can 'expense' it!" has been heard at Hilton HQ.
Yes, They can say that but maybe next year they will be out of a job, because Hilton Elite members will move to Marriott and SPG. History has show this many times.

Greetings HiltonHotelFans.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:42 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I cannot imagine them being allowed by the FCC to block WIFI hotspots. They are going to spend a lot of money in court if they try to do this. Not that it really matters though - I can just plug my LTE iPhone into my computer. I frequently get 30-80 megabits down with my LTE phone which has unlimited data.
Guess again. Marriott just got fined $600K for blocking personal Wifi devices at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel. But they have petitioned the FCC to allow such blocking. The comment period just ended. FCC should rule in 2015. Keep an eye out for this.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/28624...side-wifi.html
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: HHonors-Diamond, IHG-Gold, AA Platinum, National-Exec Elite, Avis-First
I've been reading FT for a long time and decided to chime in finally. I've mainly stayed at Hilton properties for 8 years (a Diamond for 7) and I swear the last few years Hilton has really been winning the race to the bottom.

Why would I bother to give Hilton my business & loyalty (58 nights and that was just 3/4 of them) when you want to nickle-dime me like this? Added to all the other devaluations over the years... Well thank you Hilton for giving me the impetus to leave my rut and move on in 2015. I'm going to join my new boss at Marriott's and see how that works out.

Apparently you hired cut-rate MBA's that failed Accounting 101... It's going to take a lot of $4.95 up-charges to replace me and all the others like me that will leave. Happy New Year
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have to say that combined with "refundable" not including the 24-hour window, this charge for Diamonds makes Delta's bean counters seem not-so-bad. Is there a chain status match info thread somewhere?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
From a property manager's comment on Tripadvisor...

"I do apologise for the issues regarding the WIFI. I can share with you that in 2015 it will become a Hilton Standard to offer a free WIFI service in our hotels."

It looks like Hilton is FINALLY getting with the times and matching the competition regarding wifi in 2015. Hyatt, Marriott, and SPG will continue to earn stays from business travelers if Hilton does not offer a higher tier speed for a nominal fee that is COMPED for diamond and gold members. It's really just insulting that properties are currently allowed to charge elite members that spend thousands upon thousands of dollars annually at these hotels a fee to make the internet useful to even complete work on the web or video chat with family back home.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
The speed in Chicago at Palmer house was absurd on New Years eve. I was trying to do a couple last minute year end things on my work PC and connection was so slow I had trouble with log me in. Same with my personal email.

Highest internet speed for free would be a great diamond benefit that wouldn't cost Hilton anything that would keep them in line with similar status at their competitors.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by wjj
Guess again. Marriott just got fined $600K for blocking personal Wifi devices at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel. But they have petitioned the FCC to allow such blocking. The comment period just ended. FCC should rule in 2015. Keep an eye out for this.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/28624...side-wifi.html
We will see what happens but this will not end quickly. Hilton (and Marriott) are completely full of it on these petitions. Hilton can't even secure its website and mainline systems yet they want to protect us from WIFI hotspots that we might accidentally connect to. There are a lot of companies who pay for employees to have unlimited data through their phone and do not reimburse WIFI charges.

They certainly have a right to charge whatever they want for WIFI access and to gut the Diamond program but this behavior sounds like a bunch of clueless MBAs trying to figure out how to generate a few more $ of revenue.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K

They certainly have a right to charge whatever they want for WIFI access and to gut the Diamond program but this behavior sounds like a bunch of clueless MBAs trying to figure out how to generate a few more $ of revenue.
The trouble with corporate bean counters using raw data to make revenue or cost savings projections is that behavioral science is never factored into the equation.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:40 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
Didn't an old version of the HHonors T&Cs say something like "where a hotel has different tiers of internet, Diamond members are guaranteed the highest tier"?

I don't keep copies of the old T&Cs, but I'm sure this was in there a year or two back.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:00 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
We will see what happens but this will not end quickly. Hilton (and Marriott) are completely full of it on these petitions. Hilton can't even secure its website and mainline systems yet they want to protect us from WIFI hotspots that we might accidentally connect to. There are a lot of companies who pay for employees to have unlimited data through their phone and do not reimburse WIFI charges.

Agree completely. I can't imagine that the FCC would allow this to happen. What will be interesting though is to see if the hotels appeal an FCC decision that goes against them. That will tell us all what they really think about us.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by wjj
Agree completely. I can't imagine that the FCC would allow this to happen. What will be interesting though is to see if the hotels appeal an FCC decision that goes against them. That will tell us all what they really think about us.
But we already know what they think of us, based on the fact that Hilton wrote a letting supporting Marriott's effort to render personal hotspots useless, and their new wifi money grab.

Last edited by mstan; Jan 3, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.