Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RCTP
Conrad Tokyo. There was an option for premium connection at 1000JPY/day. At check in was informed that premium connection is complimentary for HH Gold and Diamond but when I was in the room and tried to connect, premium connection still showed as chargeable. So I only used the free wifi option. The free internet option didnt have any noticeable lag though.
It shows as chargeable, just as there is a price on the menu at breakfast. Regardless, both are indeed comped to Golds.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, HHonors Diamond
I think a clarification from Erin is needed here.......
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wjj
Could this be a property by property decision?
I believe this is the case.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hilton Garden Inn Monterey shows "complimentary" sign-up, but it leads to Basic Internet access for $4.95 (this is what elites are allowed, but of course we can buy up to $9.95 per 24 hours.

Ping: 34 ms
Download: 0.86 Mbps
Upload: 0.47 Mbps

They also began charging $10.00 for parking.

Other properties seem to be going there as well. I'm imagining Blackheart / Hilton is actively consulting / urging properties to "enhance their revenue" with unbundling.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 6:20 am
Suspended

I'm imagining Blackheart / Hilton is actively consulting / urging properties to "enhance their revenue" with unbundling.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Seeing this at every almost hilton I go to now.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm imagining Blackheart / Hilton is actively consulting / urging properties to "enhance their revenue" with unbundling.
Originally Posted by toooldtostayoutlate
Yep. Seeing this at every almost hilton I go to now.
And we are all free to de-enhance their revenue by moving all of our stays to the chains that don't try to screw us on internet.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club, National Exec something!
Originally Posted by Kacee
And we are all free to de-enhance their revenue by moving all of our stays to the chains that don't try to screw us on internet.
Yup. And for me it'll be a significant revenue impact to them. Just tallied up what I spent with Hilton this year... About $12k. Not chomp change.

Wrote earlier in this thread I'm gone mid year if this isn't fixed cross property for at least Diamonds.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Avis First, HHonor Diamond, Marriot Gold
Every Hilton property I have stayed at as had this option appear when staying.

-Complimentary
-Premium 4.95

Two properties reimbursed the charges, one did not. I contacted the property (Hilton Garden INN Idaho Falls) and after several email relays involving HHonors I was told this was the hotel property's policy.

If you go to Hilton's elite benefit webpage you will notice that "Premium or High Speed" has disappeared from the description. It now says complimentary lobby/wifi. Interpret that as you will.

I have asked Marriott if they would status match. They said no, but they do fast track to Platinum.

I will be making the move to Marriott for 2015 unless Hilton Honors clarifies what is a perk and what isn't. I don't mind no getting internet free, but what I DO MIND is saying you are offering something free but is dumbed down so much that you are railroaded into picking the premium option.

Good Luck doing VPN, WebEx, file uploads, etc on "complimentary wifi".
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
I am at the Doubletree Berkeley Marina (I like it here; many don't) but the wifi benefits suck.

The choice is either "free" benefits for golds and diamonds or "complimentary" access for all guests or a premium product. The first two are the same. So there is no advantage that I can see for golds and silvers at all. The speed of the basic product is just about acceptable for ordinary browsing - 1.38 Mbsp down and 0.80 Mbps up (with the overload that that is of course going through a wifi router as you are limited otherwise to three devices).
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:46 am

hotels want to kill your personal wifi hotspot

If you get fed up with hotel wifi charges or speeds and decide to use your own wifi hotspot device or phone hotspot, hotels want to prevent that by spoofing de-auth packets to render your device inoperable. Marriott is driving it but apparently Hilton supports this. See the CNN article: http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/25/tech...marriott-wifi/. See this: http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment/view?id=60001005951

Last edited by mstan; Dec 26, 2014 at 9:48 am Reason: adding extra link to support claim.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by wjj
Well, that is obviously not true. I always choose the highest speed and have never been charged (I always use my HH# and PIN). Could this be a property by property decision?
This is what I'm wondering about: why would Hilton issue such an edict, unless they are somehow subsidizing each elite guest's log in? There are Doubletrees that give full breakfast, even though that's supposedly a corporate "violation".
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
Thumbs down

$18 dollar for paid WIFI at MilleniumHilton Is Hilton Hotels going back to the year 2000? Free WIFI is slow
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
As a Diamond for the last 10 years, I've found that the benefits have been reduced every year to the point where they don't matter. As a result after I hit 60 nights I switch to another chain and the last three years I've gotten to the top level at 3 or 4 of the chains. With a few exceptions, I get treated better at many hotels where I have no status then I do at Hiltons as a diamond.

The net result of this is that Hilton looses $30-$40K of my spend each year.

The problem is that they don't care about loyalty - just like the airlines.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:14 am

Hyatt = smart, Hilton = stoopid

Hyatt is going the exact opposite direction of Hilton—Hyatt will be offering free wifi to all guests chainwide in February 2015. In their news release (short quote and full link below), they mention that “Internet connectivity is no longer an amenity. It has become an integral part of travelers’ daily lives and a basic expectation,” and that they made their decision based on "listening to what [their] guests say."

I find it hard to believe that Hilton listened to any of their frequent guests before implementing their new plan.

Free Wi-Fi will become available to Hyatt guests around the world in February 2015. Travelers will be able to access free Wi-Fi on an unlimited number of mobile devices or laptops in Hyatt-branded hotel guest rooms and social spaces.

“Internet connectivity is no longer an amenity. It has become an integral part of travelers’ daily lives and a basic expectation,” said Kristine Rose, vice president of brands for Hyatt. “Travelers shouldn’t have to remember which brands or locations offer it for free or the strings attached to get it.”

Hyatt hotels across many brands have long offered Wi-Fi at no charge to guests in several of its brands and to elite members of the Hyatt Gold Passport loyalty program. Expanding free Wi-Fi is part of Hyatt’s ongoing focus to make the guest experience more seamless.

“Our colleagues are committed to not just listening to what our guests say, but understanding their real needs...."

Link to news release
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
Hyatt is going the exact opposite direction of Hilton—Hyatt will be offering free wifi to all guests chainwide in February 2015. In their news release (short quote and full link below), they mention that “Internet connectivity is no longer an amenity. It has become an integral part of travelers’ daily lives and a basic expectation,” and that they made their decision based on "listening to what [their] guests say."

I find it hard to believe that Hilton listened to any of their frequent guests before implementing their new plan.

Free Wi-Fi will become available to Hyatt guests around the world in February 2015. Travelers will be able to access free Wi-Fi on an unlimited number of mobile devices or laptops in Hyatt-branded hotel guest rooms and social spaces.

“Internet connectivity is no longer an amenity. It has become an integral part of travelers’ daily lives and a basic expectation,” said Kristine Rose, vice president of brands for Hyatt. “Travelers shouldn’t have to remember which brands or locations offer it for free or the strings attached to get it.”

Hyatt hotels across many brands have long offered Wi-Fi at no charge to guests in several of its brands and to elite members of the Hyatt Gold Passport loyalty program. Expanding free Wi-Fi is part of Hyatt’s ongoing focus to make the guest experience more seamless.

“Our colleagues are committed to not just listening to what our guests say, but understanding their real needs...."

Link to news release
Marriott is providing free basic wifi for all MR members and providing their highest tiers with free highest speed. If MR and Hyatt can offer it, then Hilton should give diamonds the highest speed for free.

Hilton doesn't do much to distinguish diamonds from gold and this would b ea great benefit to do so without costing them anything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.