Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Get Plat status with SPG: "complimentary high-speed internet"…..
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:11 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by ohange
With all due respect, Erin, thank you for addressing the situation, but would you consider taking the voice of this forum, and the displeasure with this situation back to the powers that be at Hilton Worldwide?

The "standard" internet is, at the current speeds we're seeing, NOT useful for anything more than checking email. Most of us can do that anyways on our phones these days. There must be some benefit to your Diamond members. Or, if the Diamond members continue to be treated the same as anyone else, these loyal guests will cease to exist in your hallways and in your rooms. They'll be next door at a Marriott property.
Hi there,

Thanks so much for providing this feedback. I am collecting these comments daily and sharing them regularly with my team. I will continue to update you with any new information!

Cheers,
Erin
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Just had a HGI stay and my Internet was capped at 1mb/s or I could pay $5.95 more for a usable connection.

It's stuff like this why my Diamond status will disappear in two months. With SPG Platinum, I get the highest speed offered by the hotel for free.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: HHonors, Starwood, Marriott, ANA, Thai, United, American, Delta
Thumbs down Will have to share this info with my office

I think Hilton is going to lose much of my organizations business over this decision. We have to use VPN and we are not reimbursed for internet charges. So I can either stay somewhere with free fast internet and be productive after I leave the office or I can pay out of my pocket for the same access at a Hilton property. Easy decision for me. I'm sure my co-workers will feel the same way.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
HH is totally missing the point. In this day and age, a fast internet speed is no longer an "option." It is a business necessity, even for leisure travelers who are expected to stay productive on their own time. Any hotel chain that doesn't "get it" is at a serious competitive disadvantage. Internet should be fast, free and plentiful for all customers, and Hilton should implement benefits for Diamonds which are truly "benefits," such as guaranteed suite upgrades confirmable at booking, meaningful standby upgrades, and a guaranteed full breakfast.

Just another data point: My VPN is so strict that a slow connection will result in the system timing out prior to authentication. Three strikes, and you're "out," meaning a cumbersome phone call to our I.T. Help desk to gets our access restored. Once I experience connectivity issues due to slow internet, I never return to that property. It's just not worth it. Internet usability is more important to me than anything, save for safety.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ohange
If this sh*t keeps up, I'm done with HH. I literally can't do anything relevant to my job from my hotel if my night time hotel internet speed is 1mbps.

As a Diamond member, internet should be free, as fast as the property can offer. For all Hilton properties , that should always, always, always be the case. The same goes for properties that charge for parking. It should be a free benefit for Diamond guests.

Why are they so intent on stripping away benefits? They are really losing any advantage they had in my books.
To answer your question about why the stripping of this benefit: to boost their revenues and satisfy the unhappy hotel property owners complaining about the relative lack of growth in revenue and income from telecom, F&B charges and the like.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:05 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by SS255
HH is totally missing the point. In this day and age, a fast internet speed is no longer an "option." It is a business necessity, even for leisure travelers who are expected to stay productive on their own time. Any hotel chain that doesn't "get it" is at a serious competitive disadvantage. Internet should be fast, free and plentiful for all customers, and Hilton should implement benefits for Diamonds which are truly "benefits," such as guaranteed suite upgrades confirmable at booking, meaningful standby upgrades, and a guaranteed full breakfast.

Just another data point: My VPN is so strict that a slow connection will result in the system timing out prior to authentication. Three strikes, and you're "out," meaning a cumbersome phone call to our I.T. Help desk to gets our access restored. Once I experience connectivity issues due to slow internet, I never return to that property. It's just not worth it. Internet usability is more important to me than anything, save for safety.
I totally agree with everything in here. It's unbelievable that in this day and age, a major hotel chain would do something as stupid as this.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:40 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Originally Posted by Skimanant
I'm finding all e-standby upgrades are now paid too........... I hope this is just testing something out and is not permanent.
I noticed this also, even with the hotels that treat gold/diamond better (e.g. DT Newcastle Airport) NOR1 now offers 1 cat upgrade for a fee. Previously it was free, only a few months ago.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Dia
Originally Posted by Football Fan
I totally agree with everything in here. It's unbelievable that in this day and age, a major hotel chain would do something as stupid as this.
I don't normally frequent this forum but due to my last two properties trying to charge me for internet, thought I had better dig deeper.

The first property said that the system was broken and gave me a code to use when quizzed, and the second just handed one to me straight off the bat.

When logging in as a diamond I only have the premium paid option and no standard free option. Am I missing something?

I can bill the internet to expenses but really feel this is a step too far for top tier customers. I enjoy Hilton but travel enough to also qualify as a Diamond with Hyatt after the points devalue for rewards. So arguably Hilton have already lost half my business.
Allegedly I receive complimentary Diamond status from my airline program which I have never investigated but maybe should now as this is just penny pinching and disrespect for loyalty.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by waspsl
When logging in as a diamond I only have the premium paid option and no standard free option. Am I missing something?
I saw this at the Hilton LAX last month. No other option other than "premium" with its cost.

The charge was on my bill in the morning. I had it removed in the lounge, but the woman working the desk said in the future, there would be an up-charge for diamonds choosing the premium option. I had pointed out that there was no standard option to choose and that there was no verbage stating that diamonds would be charged for premium on the login screen. She didn't respond to that.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
I did send an email to hilton. I did get a very nice call from the GM from the hotel where I am staying. He was great and I explained that it was not his hotel, it was the policy I hated.
Thanks to the hilton representative for listening to our concerns. I am just not sure what difference it makes to be a diamond with Hilton. I was at the hotel with a new person to my company. The only difference between our experiences with the hotel is that I was offered a bottle of water. Does it mean much to bend over backwards to be loyal? We could have stayed at the most beautiful hotel in boise...It was the same rate and a few blocks closer to the place where we would work. I insisted on staying at a hilton because of loyalty. The new person i was with was a bit taken aback. She thought that having status meant something. It was a bit of an emperor has no clothes for me.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Also, she could not download the files I sent her because of the slow internet speed. The new speed is really just to check email, not to work. It made it a lot harder for us to actually work. I know we can pay more money to be able to do just basic work. But, we don't have to go through the hoops at other places.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
I noticed this also, even with the hotels that treat gold/diamond better (e.g. DT Newcastle Airport) NOR1 now offers 1 cat upgrade for a fee. Previously it was free, only a few months ago.
As with Delta Air Lines and its SkyMiles program, so with Hilton and HHonors program. Their goal seems to be to engage in cheap upgrade monetization open to one and all at the expense of complimentary elite upgrades for brand loyal customers.

Loyalty program participation and its benefits are being exposed as a bad drug; but kicking the bad habit to the curve gets easier when the dealers treat their customers to less (or worse) for more (money). "You are your rate/fare." At least in this environment.

With the Internet cut-back for Golds/Diamonds, best to shop around more often.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Originally Posted by GUWonder
To answer your question about why the stripping of this benefit: to boost their revenues and satisfy the unhappy hotel property owners complaining about the relative lack of growth in revenue and income from telecom, F&B charges and the like.
I agree, and I see why you would think that way -- used to be they'd make HEFTY revenue off of LD, even local calling in some places. Nowadays, I stay weekly for months on end never even touching the in-room telephone. That revenue is gone.

Internet -- these days, it's considered a human right. (Like fresh water) - So it would make sense that HSI as opposed to low speed internet - would be the perfect perk to an elite traveler. They already have the connection to the property, so why ration the speed down and tick off your elites? Elites are likely savvy people who know the property's connection is already a sunk cost per month, so dialing down speeds serves to do nothing more than piss them off. Plain and simple.

F&B revenue - that's still there if you're at a flagship, or a property that has a leased space to a restaurant in it where you get the room service service charges... I would bet it's a constant % of occupancy. Lower occupancy % = less actual $ across the board.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So, an HH "benefit" is "free" wifi that's worse than the 4G or LTE on many smartphones?

Good luck with that, Hilton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.