Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to free WiFi Elite benefit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Marriott has just confirmed that premium internet will be free for Gold and Plat.

The contrast with Hilton is pretty stark. This will cost them business. Internet is a huge deal for business travelers.

(I just challenged over to Hyatt Diamond. Will keep HHonors status via Surpass, but anticipating a major drop in Hilton stays.)
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Unhappy

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Admittedly its a bit poor

Let's have a recap

1) At all properties Golds and Diamonds will get complimentary free internet access
2) At some properties everyone might get complimentary internet access
3) At some properties the complimentary internet access might be unserviceable
4) Where the internet access is unserviceable there might be a paid upgrade option
5) Where Golds and Diamonds pay to upgrade this might be refunded at check out
6) Some properties might be participating in tiered internet experiments
7) The geographic extent of the experimentation is not known
8) Which brands are participating in which experiments is not known
9) The rollout timescale is not known
10) When making a booking at a Hilton brand it is not possible to know what internet offering you will get.

It is at best another shot across the bows of brand consistency.
Very good re-cap. Very depressing!

Hilton was the last major brand to roll out internet for top tiers and now the first to undo it. Makes me wonder what is in the water in McLean, Virginia.

Dial up for eveyone is not a perk. Just hope the free inroom movie at the Waldof's is not changed to free TV
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Regardless, HHonors is fully committed to ensuring Gold and Diamond have access complimentary internet at all hotels worldwide.
It doesn't help to have complimentary Internet access when the speed in several places is so low that it can't be used for anything. This has nothing to do with streaming or dowloading large file. An example is that I was not able to read THIS forum at Tropicana. The speed was so slow (without paying more) that it could take 2 minutes to get to a post. And some times it timed out.

Yes, I had free access to Internet, but it could not be used for anything. That's NOT acceptable for Diamond members!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by runarbg
It doesn't help to have complimentary Internet access when the speed in several places is so low that it can't be used for anything. This has nothing to do with streaming or dowloading large file. An example is that I was not able to read THIS forum at Tropicana. The speed was so slow (without paying more) that it could take 2 minutes to get to a post. And some times it timed out.

Yes, I had free access to Internet, but it could not be used for anything. That's NOT acceptable for Diamond members!
Does it remind you of a used car lot's bait and switch tactic?

Yes sir, this car is only $500!!! Now if you would like a car with an engine and tires, that will be an additional $5,000 for our premium service.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:40 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by runarbg

+1 ^^^
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
And, at least one property I have recently stayed in, the 'premium' internet was slower than the complimentary internet for golds/diamonds.

Issues galore with this one!
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: NWA Woldperks Gold Elite, Delta Skymiles
Downgraded Internet Speed for Gold/Diamond Guests.

I'm a 5-year Hhonors Diamond member and so bummed that the complimentary wi-fi has been downgraded to such a slow speed. I'm finding it difficult at times even to check my email, and certainly watching even short youtube clips is exceedingly difficult.

I've poked around and it sounds like there are no plans to offer gold/diamond level member complimentary high speed access like they used to. Does anyone know of organized efforts to collectively encourage Hhonors to re-think this?

Our "complimentary high speed internet" became less and less valuable of a benefit as many properties began offering free internet and the increase in traffic slowed things down. This downgrade to an obviously throttled basic internet surprised me.

[I felt certain this is being talked about already, my searching couldn't locate it so I apologize if there are already threads about this!]
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
On-going discussion here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...+speed+diamond
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by RipplesGuy
. . . Does anyone know of organized efforts to collectively encourage Hhonors to re-think this?

Our "complimentary high speed internet" became less and less valuable of a benefit as many properties began offering free internet and the increase in traffic slowed things down. . . .
First of all, RipplesGuy welcome to FT! Four years and first post!!

In addition to the following thread,

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
It is also discussed (along with a thousand other items) in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...mbassador.html
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:18 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Greetings from Hilton Glasgow

Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
That is a joke tbh.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Greetings from Hilton Glasgow

I was there last night! Hope you're enjoying the new addition to the lobby

...the speed was shocking then also. I did get handed a 'premium' access code, but on closer inspection it looks like that was only valid for 60 minutes and I only got one.

One the plus side we got an upgrade to Exec room. Lounge food was better than I've seen it in a while.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
I was there last night! Hope you're enjoying the new addition to the lobby
It was dismantled by the time I got back from the pub last night.

Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
...the speed was shocking then also. I did get handed a 'premium' access code, but on closer inspection it looks like that was only valid for 60 minutes and I only got one.
I actually cannot get onto hilton.com very easily from this wifi. I am sure that doesn't make sense. As an aside, I am roaming on vodafone and have a local 3 data SIM too. Neither of them can stretch beyond 0.20 Mbps. It must suck to be here and actually have some important work to do.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:12 pm

Nooooooooooo! Looks like they nobbled the Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh too

Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:56 pm

Hiltons in Scotland with poor Internet

Good to know - I will avoid the Hilton properties when I go to Scotland later this year - poor Internet is a major no-no in my book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.