Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Japan {JPN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Japan {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:36 am

It seems that even if you book an award room that sleeps 3 they still charge you $50+tax and service for the third person. It’s aggravating!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.6MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold and ton of others on the bottom run.
Another late reply but it seems you have a bit of time still to make a decision.

I've stayed at all the Hiltons apart from the Conrad, that includes the Hilton Odaiba which i just stayed 4 times in the past 3 weeks.

End of the day I think its really down to what you want to get from the Hotel and its surroundings.

NRT - its close to the airport but you need to take a shuttle bus. Theres nothing around the hotel so you can go into Narita itself (there is a bus but I cant remember if its free), there is a wonderful temple to see there and some old narrow Japanese streets. You can also go to Aeon Mall on another shuttle bus if you into shopping, my other half likes that. I'd stay here if i was arriving late or leaving early in the morning. I hate long travel early in the morning. Theres no lounge here, the staff where always nice, upgrades, well I never thought I got one, the rooms where always a nice size though. Views, well, not much to say, its an airport hotel, you dont go for the views.

HIlton - Stayed here in March. This hotel is 10+ minutes walk to Shinjuku station, so if you got luggage i would recommend a taxi if you plan to arrive from the station. Walking is ok, but first time pay attention to the signs. The limo bus to NRT, at least, takes 2.5 to 3hrs. Was a reward stay, they said they upgraded me, the room was ok, not huge, nice and modern, 2 adults and child (7), no tax's, nothing added on. The lounge has nice views and good selection of food. Staff where nice, and the views are nice, you can plenty, but thats plenty of other highrise buildings. However they are strict on lounge access, 2 adults and child admitted, brought an extra friend and wanted close to $60. They let the friend stay for one free beer.

Hilton Odaiba Ah i here people go "on no thats way out". So you can reach here on Yurikamome line from Shimbashi JR station. Its 15 min, 320 yen. The station you exit is right next to the hotel. You can also get the rainbow bus from Shinagawa station that stops at the hotel. The hotel is next to numerous huge american style shopping malls. They are open until 9pm at least. Theres a beach, if you can call it that, it has sand anyway, 5 mins walk. Theres more shopping malls close by, maritime museum is 10 mins walk, its free but 50% is closed for reburbishment. All my stays this year where reward, upgraded everytime. The rooms are the largest I have had in Japan. Very nice and here I've always had a room with a view, the rainbow bridge and the bay. The lounge is ok, they have happy hour like the other Hilton with free snacks. Sometimes they are good, sometimes ok. Staff where always friendly and after 4 visits knew who i was. Oh again stayed once here 3 in the room, no tax's or anything added.

Conrad - All i can comment on is the location which is there by Shimbashi, you can walk. Then again if you have a huge bunch of bags, a taxi would be good, 720yen probably given thats the starting price and the hotel is basically next to the station. A friend who works in that area told me there is not much to do and its business area. However JR stations always have plenty of places to eat and there are some food courts in the highrises there. By way NRT express does not stop here "http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/" so you have to change if thats a preferred way of travel.

Personally, and this is the reason I went to the same place 4 times, Odaiba. Rewards stays where same price at either Hilton, but it was the walk and lack of restuarants immediateltly by the Hilton Shinjuku area that puts me off. Think about it the walking to Hilton by Shinjuku is going to be the same time as your train to Odaiba. If you been out for a long day you want choices of places to eat and easy to find. Odaiba has it, ok its not the small japanese places but if I been out for the day I'm not about to go looking for places. I also like Odaiba for other reasons, forgot my charging cables this last weekend, simple solution the Daiso store, 100 yen for a cable, 100 for a charging cube, sorted.

Odaiba also has a boat ferry that can take you to a few places, Asakusa is one place, from there its one stop to Tokyo Skytree on the Tobu line. Theres one drawback, its just over 500yen if you use Yurikamome and Asakusa lines, where as that ferry costs 1500yen if I remember and goes 5 times a day. The train goes more often. I havent taken the ferry yet because of the cost but you get a seat and can see Tokyo a different way.

Is it business trip, on your own or with others? Ueno is a great place to visit, bunch of museums in that area as well as the zoo. Take your passport they give discounts at the zoo. Ginza line from Shimbashi is one way there else JR train. Public transport here is so easy to use, Hyperdia is my "go to app" for the trains and metro.

End of the day it will be a good trip, great food, good sights. Every hotel has its pros and cons and we all go to the ones we like for our own reasons.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Diamond vacation in Japan

I have enough points to go to Japan for 10 days or so. Has anyone done this with the hotels in Japan? I probably need a guide but would love to vacation there. If I fly into Tokyo, can I leave Kyoto or must it be Osaka. Thank you.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I went solo to Japan for 9 days this fall. I am only Gold, and I only stayed in the Tokyo area. I stayed 5 nights at the Hilton in Shinjuku on a (4 night, fifth night free) which I thought was an good value at 240K points. Plus another night at the Hilton Narita at 20k points. I spent 2 other nights on the 65th floor of the Royal Park Yokohama, which was fun and not too expensive around $200 a night for an incredible room.

i didn’t hire a guide but just roamed around various neighborhoods of Tokyo. It was an absolutely incredible and memorable trip that I am so glad I was able to do.

I really enjoyed that that last day before the flight home wandering around the Naritasan temple complex.

I ticketed the flight in J class on American, but had it commence in Las Vegas. As you know, prices out of BNA are ridiculous. I hopped a quick SWA one way from BNA to Vegas the day before. Flew in the 787-9 from LAX and found it a wonderfully comfortable flight. Same on the return. I skipped the last leg back to Vegas, and overnighted near LAX and caught an AA non stop back to BNA the next day.

Great trip.
mphall likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:51 pm

You are very kind. How is your Japanese? I am a pretty good traveler but wonder if I would need a least a daily guide for a few of the days that I am there.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:52 pm

BTW, I booked using AA vacations flight/hotel package which included a 3 night stay in some capsule hotel that I never went to. But using AA Vacations and departing from Vegas took at least $1000 off the ticket price vs just flying fromLAX. And at least $2k cheaper than ticketing from Nashville.

Good luck!
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by mphall
You are very kind. How is your Japanese? I am a pretty good traveler but wonder if I would need a least a daily guide for a few of the days that I am there.
i know no Japanese. The Japan guide on Flyertalk was very helpful. Tokyo is easy to get around with google and most signs were also in English. Eating was an adventure and I don’t like seafood, but I still had amazing meals. If I were to hire a guide it would be to understand the temples more. But shinjuku is a great area to base yourself. And the Hilton was really easy to get everywhere from.

Its a a safe clean and helpful city. I absolutely loved it.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:38 pm

So I looked at AA vacations. So, you didn't stay at the hotel that they offered?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

My mother and I are doing this in April ( meeting my brother who is now in Australia)

We are flying into Tokyo ( staying at the New Otani then Hilton Tokyo bay) then a few days in Osaka ( probably Conrad) on an open jaw cathay pacific ticket before flying out of Osaka Kansai.

Kyoto does not have its own airport- you have to go to Osaka
Osaka has 2 airports ITM ( mainly domestic ) and KIX ( Kansai)- some domestic and the major international flights

Regards

TBS
-
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:12 pm

So I looked at AA vacations. So, you didn't stay at the hotel that they offered?
No. The key is to price it with at least 3 nights at the lowest priced hotel. Then use your points to stay where you really want.

You 'can' get a better price than if you booked the airfare alone directly through AA. There is a thread on AA on the plusses and minuses in point earning using this method. But I found a great fare and it worked perfectly fine for me.

Also, if you decide to go, read the thread on the Japan message board on info for first time visitors to Japan. It was extremely helpful in planning my trip and using transportation. It is a wealth of information.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:26 pm

So maybe this is stupid. If I do this and book three nights in Tokyo, how can I get back with AA a week later but not include hotel?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:16 pm

So maybe this is stupid. If I do this and book three nights in Tokyo, how can I get back with AA a week later but not include hotel?
With the caveat that I am not speaking from personal experience,. I think you can book the hotel for only a part of your stay. And in the end if you cannot find the hotel (for instance), AA will neither give you any money back nor take any more money from you
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
With the caveat that I am not speaking from personal experience,. I think you can book the hotel for only a part of your stay. And in the end if you cannot find the hotel (for instance), AA will neither give you any money back nor take any more money from you

This is correct. If you don’t want the hotel offered, book it for the 3 night minimum and just no-show. You save on your airfare, and everybody wins. Hotel gets paid, AA gets paid, you save a few bucks.

BA Holidays is the same way, and the other carrier vacation sites probably are as well.

There can be downsides in the EQD/EQM department, so calculate wisely. I’ve done this several times, but I also credit to BA so the math is different (and a win, IMO.)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:40 am

I must be thick, but wouldn't you have to book a AA hotel for the entire time?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:16 am

arrival in Tokyo

If I fly from the US, what day should I book the hotel? The next day arrival or the arrival day. Aren't I going backwards? Stupid question, I imagine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.