Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Japan {JPN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Japan {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Hilton Tokyo and Hilton Kyoto?

I have enough points to stay 5 or 6 nights at the Hilton Tokyo and then go on to Hilton Kyoto ( I think there is one). Would anyone recommend this? I have never been to Japan and would like to see it. Probably only 9 nights there and then back to Nashville.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:20 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by mphall
I have enough points to stay 5 or 6 nights at the Hilton Tokyo and then go on to Hilton Kyoto ( I think there is one). Would anyone recommend this? I have never been to Japan and would like to see it. Probably only 9 nights there and then back to Nashville.
Sorry, no Hiltons in Kyoto.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:46 pm

You can stay at the Hilton Osaka, it is a fairly short train ride to Kyoto.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:07 pm

So no Hilton brands in Kyoto? Any suggestions for next best chain - Marriott, Hyatt, etc? Thank you.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mphall
So no Hilton brands in Kyoto? Any suggestions for next best chain - Marriott, Hyatt, etc? Thank you.
Hyatt Regency Kyoto and Ritz Carlton Tokyo are both very nice, albeit pricy. Osaka would be much cheaper.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:14 pm

There is also Choice (Comfort Inn), an IHG (Crowne Plaza) and 2 SPG (Westin and Luxury Collection).
If you have Hilton points though, I just checked and it is a half hour train ride to Kyoto station from Osaka station, which is right at the Hilton Osaka.

Last edited by farnorthtrader; Feb 16, 2016 at 5:23 pm
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Depending on what you're interested in doing, Osaka can be as good or better of a base.

For a first time visitor to Japan without (yet, I guess) a specific set of things you'd like to see/do, Kyoto is probably better. There are a pretty wide range of lodging (budgets, styles, fanciness) in Kyoto. If you don't need a lot of space and you're going for cheapness, so-called business hotels can be a good option.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:55 pm

I am a Diamond Hilton member and was hoping to get some leverage in Japan. I can't travel all around Japan in 10 days so I was making kyoto and Tokyo my bases. I am not a Ritz fan or Marriott fan and will look around. Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
Stayed in Hiltons in both Osaka and Tokyo in September. We were treated wonderfully as Diamond at both. Both are walking distance to train stations (Osaka much closer and more central, easy to get to Kyoto). Upgraded to large suite in Tokyo. Great lounges in both. We were not using points, so don't know how that would work out, but I'd go back to either. PM me if you want to chat.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
IMO*, use points in Tokyo and pay for a place in Kyoto. Osaka is a great hotel and it's a fine base, but for a short, first-time visit to Japan, I'd normally suggest people to focus a decent bit of time in Kyoto, and the added convenience of being based there rather commuting in is probably worth it. The yen is weak and there are pretty decent options for affordable lodging in Kyoto.

There are 2 excellent Hilton properties in downtown Tokyo, btw - the Conrad is an outstanding hotel, in (imo) a slightly less convenient location than the Hilton in Shinjuku. I've stayed in the Conrad a couple of times and it is great. I've never stayed in the Hilton, but have walked past it a few times.

PS if you have not yet found it http://www.japan-guide.com/ is a really outstanding resource for planning a visit to Japan (particularly a first time visit).

(* - pending, based on your interests on the ground and balance of priorities in lodging. I don't mean to imply any universal applicability to this position)
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:32 am

Thank you!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I've been to the Tokyo Hilton 3x in the past 10 years, and every time has been fabulous. The restaurant is great, the shuttle takes you right to Shinjuku station (though it's hard to find the stop at the station the first time), and the subway is right underneath it. I highly recommend it.

Likewise, if it were my first time in Japan, I'd stay in Kyoto over Osaka. The Westin is a great hotel on the edge of town. There's a subway stop that is about 30 feet from the doork as well as a few great local restaurants nearby, but not much. The shuttle arrives every 30 minutes on the south side of Kyoto station and it takes about 20 minutes to get from the hotel to the station. It is an easy walk to Gion though. You could also choose a ryokan that is in more of the center of town as well
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:31 am

Thanks so much.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: F
Originally Posted by sorro
I've been to the Tokyo Hilton 3x in the past 10 years, and every time has been fabulous. The restaurant is great, the shuttle takes you right to Shinjuku station (though it's hard to find the stop at the station the first time), and the subway is right underneath it. I highly recommend it.

Likewise, if it were my first time in Japan, I'd stay in Kyoto over Osaka. The Westin is a great hotel on the edge of town. There's a subway stop that is about 30 feet from the doork as well as a few great local restaurants nearby, but not much. The shuttle arrives every 30 minutes on the south side of Kyoto station and it takes about 20 minutes to get from the hotel to the station. It is an easy walk to Gion though. You could also choose a ryokan that is in more of the center of town as well
Thanks for validating my exact plan for 3 weeks time.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
My parents (he's a HH Diamond and SPG Gold) are debating whether or not to stay at the Hilton in Osaka, or the Westin in Kyoto. He will not need either stay to re-qualify. They are more concerned with being central, and able to walk to tourist sites, etc.

Advice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.