Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on one of the desired years shown below:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Hawaiian Village® Beach Resort & Spa hotel property.

Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2009, 6:07 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aztimm
The Ala Moana beach, just a 5-10 min walk from the HHV, was a great beach for swimming.
Ala Moana Beach Park is used by a lot of locals for picnics and barbecues (especially on weekends). The beach is good for skittish swimmers because the offshore reef prevents waves.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Another great stay at HHV

I just returned from a 6 night award stay at the HHV. I was given a nice upgrade to a great ocean view room on the 17th floor in the Rainbow tower. I was also given 4 breakfast coupons for my family which was rather unexpected after reading the previous posts. The upgrade to full hot buffet is $10 for adults and $5 for children. Even if you don't upgrade the breakfast you will find lots of good food to eat. The Tapa was closed during our stay so the lineups at the Rainbow are a little longer now (average 10-15 minute wait - more on the weekends)

My family and I really enjoy the HHV and my kids loved the new paradise pool with the waterslides. The HHV is probably the single biggest reason that I maintain my Diamond status with Hilton. All the staff are very friendly and go out of their way to accomodate any requests.

I would agree with a previous poster that the beach infront on the Hilton is not the best for swimming. It is great for snorkeling, however, as many types of fish can be seen just off the reef by the Atlantis pier. A much better swimming beach starts after the rock breakwater just past the Fort de Russy Military reservation, which is a 5 minute walk down the beach.

One thing to note if you have a car is that you can park for free by the lagoon from 4:30 AM - 10:30 PM (no overnight parking). There is also paid parking at the marina (in the same area) which you can park overnight for 25 cents an hour ($6 per 24 hour day). There are a number of homeless people that are there but I had no problems and saw no evidence of breakins. If you want to ensure that your car is secure you can self park at the Hilton for $24/day ($29 valet). BTW, most of the car companies have very good rates for the weekends. I rented from Enterprise on Kalakaua Ave for $18.99 a day for three days starting Friday morning. If you do rent a car and go to the North Shore on the weekend be prepared for heavy traffic on the way home in the early evening.

My only complaint about the HHV is that they charge too much for internet at $15.99 a day. I would walk over to Starbucks on Ala Moana and pay $3.99 for two hours every couple of days to check email (you may also be able to pick up an unsecured wireless network there as well - but you didn't hear that from me ).
Old Mar 26, 2009, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bobsyouruncle
My only complaint about the HHV is that they charge too much for internet at $15.99 a day. I would walk over to Starbucks on Ala Moana and pay $3.99 for two hours every couple of days to check email (you may also be able to pick up an unsecured wireless network there as well - but you didn't hear that from me ).
And therein lies my current question (i've been following this thread closely without interrupting, some excellent advice throughout).

I'm thinking of trying a reverse double-dip: pick free internet as my "my way" preference and hoping the recession and the fact I've booked a long paid stay as a Gold will still earn me a nice room. (I converted my award stay to a paid stay).

Any thoughts? I'm there in April and the rainbow ocean-front rooms are still widely available for sale, so I think I might have a shot? I just booked the standard resort room for now.

2 other options: e-standby for $49/night, or negotiate at check-in?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 5:24 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Ime, it's likely that your upgraded room will show 1-3 days out if you keep checking your reservation.

At that point, I **think** it would be possible to change your in-room benefit prior to check-in.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Ime, it's likely that your upgraded room will show 1-3 days out if you keep checking your reservation.
This is not referring to the Nor1 thing, correct? Just let my current reservation float as it is and I might see something show close to check-in date?

At that point, I **think** it would be possible to change your in-room benefit prior to check-in.
I'll give it a try as you suggest.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 5:44 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
This is not referring to the Nor1 thing, correct? Just let my current reservation float as it is and I might see something show close to check-in date?
Nope.

In all our stays at the HHV, I always send a fax or email a few weeks before requesting an upgrade to high-floor, corner room, Rainbow tower if available. I also subtly note in that fax/email that we are multi-times repeat guests.

In most cases, when checking my reservation online between 1 and 5 days out, the type of room booked changes from Garden View to DLX OCNVW RAINBOW TOWER.

I **think** though, these days, that might be the highest complimentary upgrade. I have a sense that the suites and corner rooms in Rainbow are for paid upgrades.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I am in a party of 10, mostly college kids, traveling to HNL Dec 24-26, I put 8 of them in the ES (2 rooms on points) but am thinking of having my wife and I stay here, the rate is much lower (300 for ES/170 for HHV). Are the properties close enough that we won't feel "detached" (that's my wifes term)? I looked at a Honolulu city hotel map and seem pretty close together.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:15 pm

Twenty minute brisk walk apart.

Driving would probably take longer when adjust for Waikiki parking annoyances.

The Doubletree and the HHV are much closer together.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:19 pm

Finished another wonderful stay.

One night this time. Kama`aina rate of $149 which includes $10 self-parking/day and 4pm checkout.

All the staff were wonderful, as always.

Upgraded, per our request, to a high floor Rainbow Tower room. (no corner room this time though).

I didn't ask about occupancy rates, but they seem down and the beach was not crowded at all.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:45 pm

Programs: HH DIAMOND, UA PREMIER
At Hilton Hawaiian Village right now on ALON or whatever the 6 night reward is called. Upgrade to a Parlor Suite in Tapa on the corner with ocean view for an additional $39 a night, although I was a tad disappointed since I thought I was getting a 1 bedroom suite with two separate suites, rather than the Parlor Suite which is one big room with a TV area and Dining area and segregated bathroom. I think those rooms are the even number ocean view corner rooms. I had one of those last time which was just grand, but I am happy for the extra room on this trip.

We just watch the FINAL Kings Jubilee show from our balcony. That's right - the last show ever after 22 years. Two years ago we paid the $20 for a seat and our island drink. This time with the two babies we watched it from the balcony and heard them announce it's final appearance during the intro of the show. He said Live entertainment will replace the show.

My personal opinion is that if you've seen it once, you never need to see it again. Maybe live entertainment will be a welcome change for us repeat guests. Looking forward to seeing what replaces it.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:46 pm

Programs: HH DIAMOND, UA PREMIER
Oh, and the hotel is running 66% occupied as of last night. Its noticeable to us since it was sold out last time we were here and there was much more people traffic in the resort.

Last edited by Josanna; Apr 7, 2009 at 1:06 am Reason: mis spelling
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: SPG Platinum | HHonors Gold | AA Gold
Breakfast amentity change

Currently here on a 4-day AXON as HHonors Gold. Upon checking in Sunday, I was informed that the breakfast situation for Golds/Platinums has changed.

Moving forward, there is a new Diamond VIP Terrace (by the Bali restaurant) where a continental breakfast is offered. No opportunity to upgrade to warm breakfast. First days' offerings: coffee, juice, mini croissants and a single type of mini puff pastry. Two days later, fruit and hard boiled eggs have been added (an answer to the Great Protein Revolt of 2009?).

Haven't been here before, so I can't compare to what was here before, but it seems like a bit of a downgrade from previous posters' experience. YMMV.

On the other hand, the VIP terrace has free WiFi and a code to get free campus-wide WiFi on the hhonors SSID. Works poolside on my iPhone, so it makes the brekkie a little easier to handle.

Aloha!
Old Apr 9, 2009, 2:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by TrickyC
Haven't been here before, so I can't compare to what was here before, but it seems like a bit of a downgrade from previous posters' experience. YMMV.
Yes, it used to be much much better.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:30 pm

Wonderful stay

Just left yesterday after 2 night stay (as gold). We were upgraded to corner high room in Rainbow tower (terrific sunset, the first one we saw after 9 days on the islands....overcast everywhere). They gave us a coupon for two bottles of water, access to continental breakfast in the Rainbow Executive room. Everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful. I had mistakenly thought I left my camera in the room and called from the airport. Within minutes they searched the room and called back...Fortunately, I found it buried in luggage. Nevertheless, they could not be any friendlier. Parking was a bit of a challenge, despite the hotel not being particularly full. We drove and drove in the parking lot, looking for non-valet parking. Actually parked the first night in valet, before we found the "third level" on the second level??? non-valet spots. Anyway, I could not have been more pleased.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:33 pm

Correction to above post

I guess I am jet lagged. We paid (as gold members) for the HHV. It was at the Waikaloa property that we used points...sorry...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.