Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on one of the desired years shown below:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Hawaiian Village® Beach Resort & Spa hotel property.

Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by hiflyer66
Bad news today in the HNL Star Bulletin. Wells Fargo, under pressure, just canx'ed 11,000 room night equivalents for the month of May. And the hits just keep on comin' for the HHV.

http://www.starbulletin.com/business..._pullback.html
Hmmm...I'm scheduled to be there in late May. Wonder if this will make my stay better or worse?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Diamond head 1 king bdrm suite

Anyone know if this is two rooms? I had a hard time getting an answer from HHV.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by mpetrik
Did you call the main Hilton reservation line or the hotel itself? I can't imagine they don't know at the property itself, so I assume you called the Hilton 800 number. Try calling the hotel directly:

808-949-4321
Old Feb 28, 2009, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by mpetrik
As long as it says 1 bedroom suite, then yes, it is actually three rooms - (if you count the bathroom). The set up is a bit strange though. The front door opens into the bedroom there is a door on one side that opens to a hallway that allows access to the bathroom and then the living room - which opens on to a good size patio. The rooms are oriented so that the living room/patio area has views of the beach & (if you are on a high enough floor) Diamond head.

Last edited by bdemaria; Feb 28, 2009 at 11:06 am
Old Feb 28, 2009, 3:51 pm

I'm debating between a mountain view room in Kalia ($162/night), a partial ocean view in no specific tower ($186/night) or a room at the HGVC ($197/night).

Any suggestions?

does the HGVC come with free breakfast or evening reception? I've stayed at the NYC HGVC and it did, so i'm not sure if that is available at all properties.

TIA
Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
Originally Posted by bdemaria
The rooms are oriented so that the living room/patio area has views of the beach & (if you are on a high enough floor) Diamond head.
+1. At about the 8th floor (min) to 17th, you'll see the beach and ocean. Yes, those are surfers out there when the sun comes up!

Just got back from last week from another visit there. A few updates:

March 11 is the reported next closing of the Tapa for breakfast. And it might very well be its last. The beach restaraunt will be re-opening at that point and will allegedly be offering the breakfast buffet, and maybe in lieu of the Rainbow. Nobody knows for certain and there's stress with the staff on their job security. And there are still a few coffee makers available from housekeeping (*55 IIRC).

Originally Posted by Ross0
I'm debating between a mountain view room in Kalia ($162/night), a partial ocean view in no specific tower ($186/night) or a room at the HGVC ($197/night)..
None sound great WRT to distance to the beach. Go for the cheapest and beg for an upgrade.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by MayorMcKnife
Nobody knows for certain and there's stress with the staff on their job security.
I'm sorry to read of this. We shared our impressions up-thread about the slightly odd atmosphere and some glitches during our own recent five-night stay. We did enjoy ourselves, we met some nice employees there, and I hope it works out for them and for the property.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Was there Feb 21-28. Despite a poster claiming they couldn't get into Rainbow as a Diamond without paying extra, my family and the other couple we were traveling with did. We are both Golds. We were on floor 5, they on floor 9. We had the room next to the end.

A Diamond FTer I had drinks with was in Rainbow on floor 24 or 26. All of us had Diamond Head views.

The desk agent said UGs are easier to come by the fuller the hotel.

I requested a junior suite in Tapa with ocean view, as we had been given that without requesting anything specific two years ago. I was Gold then too. The agent said he could get into trouble for that.

BTW, the workout facility is FREE for Silvers and up.

But, you need to wear your workout clothes over, as locker room access has a charge, as it's part of the spa. Both my wife and I worked out several times each, at different times, and were never asked to pay.

Next 3 tips for frugal travelers only-

There is a National car rental about .1 or .2 miles away to the west. Rates were $35 total for a 7AM to 8PM rental. Saves parking fees. I booked 3 days and canceled one the morning of the rental, which the counter help told me to do, as they were sold out and they didn't want me to be without a car if I wanted one. They even said some people book every day and return before 8PM to avoid the parking charges. Just a thought for the frugal traveler.

And with the relatively large group we were with, we visited the Hale Koa grill next door for lunch several times and even dinner at least once. For lunch they have 2 choices for a plate lunch. Had curry chicken and pork and cabbage. Nothing like eating at the picnic tables in the park next to the beach. On Friday night, one couple even brought a fancy spread and a tablecloth to a picnic table. I thought that was a great idea. Good place to see the fireworks from too.

My other frugal travel tip is to talk to the info people (actually timeshare sign up people). Ask them for a bus list. It tells what buses go where from in front of the hotel. We used it to go to the zoo and Diamond Head to hike.

Last edited by Bikeguy; Mar 8, 2009 at 3:25 pm
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:10 pm

Of interest to people with kids only

The other things I found out.

If you want a cot in your room, it's $35 a night. Extra blankets are free, and my kids actually prefer to sleep on the floor.

Two years ago, breakfast was free for our two kids.

Not anymore. Now, kids age 4 and under are free. Kids older than that can order from a fixed menu for about $7.50 , plus about $3 for a drink. Or, cold buffet for about $11. Hot buffet is about $14 or $15 each per kid. My kids tried all three, and there was no obvious choice as to what they prefered.

For adults to UG to a hot breakfast, it's $10 extra for Golds and Diamonds.

There are water slides near the new timeshare. You must show a room key to access the slides at the place you get the towels. My young kids loved the slides and hot tubs. We went 4 days. I know this because my daughter didn't want to cut off the plastic bracelets and she had 4.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0
I'm debating between a mountain view room in Kalia ($162/night), a partial ocean view in no specific tower ($186/night) or a room at the HGVC ($197/night).

Any suggestions?

does the HGVC come with free breakfast or evening reception? I've stayed at the NYC HGVC and it did, so i'm not sure if that is available at all properties.

TIA
Toured the new HGVC, Waikikiaan. Very impressive, but back from the beach. I'm interested in whether you can get breakfast if you stay there as well.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:00 pm

I am planning a stay in Oahu and Maui during this xmas...4 days in Maui and 6 nights in Oahu.
Was thinking of using points for the HHV for the 6 nights in Oahu? is that the best option.....I am Diamond with Hilton and Platinum with Marriott, is it better to stay at HHV or the Marriott properties, Marriott Waikiki beach or the JW?

- Is the HHV directly on the beach?
- how's the upgrade for diamonds
- any lounge for diamonds?
Old Mar 15, 2009, 9:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Commie
The Rainbow Tower is. The other towers are further back.

- how's the upgrade for diamonds
In my two dozen-ish visits as a Gold or Diamond, have never failed to get an upgrade.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Commie
Not the best beach for swimming, FWIW. Very rocky about 2 feet into the water. There's the lagoon also but despite efforts to keep the water clean by pumping in sea water a few times a day, there's still sometimes a green grime that builds up right near the shoreline.

If you're looking for a really nice beach, that, IMHO, can't be had in Waikiki.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bikeguy
The other things I found out.

If you want a cot in your room, it's $35 a night. Extra blankets are free, and my kids actually prefer to sleep on the floor.

Two years ago, breakfast was free for our two kids.

Not anymore. Now, kids age 4 and under are free. Kids older than that can order from a fixed menu for about $7.50 , plus about $3 for a drink. Or, cold buffet for about $11. Hot buffet is about $14 or $15 each per kid. My kids tried all three, and there was no obvious choice as to what they prefered.

For adults to UG to a hot breakfast, it's $10 extra for Golds and Diamonds.

There are water slides near the new timeshare. You must show a room key to access the slides at the place you get the towels. My young kids loved the slides and hot tubs. We went 4 days. I know this because my daughter didn't want to cut off the plastic bracelets and she had 4.

We just got back from a stay here. We were a party of 4, and we, too, were only given 2 breakfast coupons (unlike previous years). Also, they wouldn't provide a cot without charging $35 a night for it (unlike previous years).

The new beachfront restaurant didn't look anywhere near finished, but the signs on the wall said the opening date would be April 2009.

The hotel is still a pleasant place, but for us it's subtly becoming less the default choice it used to be.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 3:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by slippahs
If you're looking for a really nice beach, that, IMHO, can't be had in Waikiki.
The Ala Moana beach, just a 5-10 min walk from the HHV, was a great beach for swimming. Actually, there's buoys and poles setup and MANY people who actually swim. It had a nice beach, plenty of sand. Amazing it is so close to Waikiki, yet it seems more locals use it.

As for upgrades, for my trip in Oct 2007, I reserved the cheapest room (don't think a tower was assigned) and ended up in the Ali'i tower. I was happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.