Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on one of the desired years shown below:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Hawaiian Village® Beach Resort & Spa hotel property.

Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2002, 1:21 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mary2e:
As a gold I received 2 very nice upgrades to the Rainbow Tower as well as breakfast for each of us.

Our 2 stays were before the Kalia Tower closed, so I'm not counting on such a sweet upgrade on our next trip.

The gold amenities packet is waiting for you when you arrive. No need to ask for anything.

Mary
</font>
Ditto on all counts here.
Old Dec 31, 2002, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Stayed there just a couple weeks ago.

Got there late, but got an upgrade to ocean-view room in the Rainbow tower. Also got two free breakfast vouchers. When we went to redeem them, the restaurant printed on the voucher was closed that morning, but we went to the restaurant in the Rainbow tower, and the hostess accepted them.

Also got late checkout to 5pm. The whole packet was ready to go when we checked in.

btw, this was on a Priceline stay, too! Nice job, HHV!
Old Dec 31, 2002, 11:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Sorry to sound a sour note, but

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mary2e:
As a gold I received 2 very nice upgrades to the Rainbow Tower as well as breakfast for each of us.</font>
No upgrades to Rainbow Tower last September - "Diamonds only" we were told. Had to fight for any upgrade at all. Finally got lower floor room in Ali'i tower due to 25th. Anniversary more than Gold status.

Our 2 stays were before the Kalia Tower closed, so I'm not counting on such a sweet upgrade on our next trip.</font>
Kalia was closed when we were there - probably part of our problems. Hotel was not overly busy however.

The gold amenities packet is waiting for you when you arrive. No need to ask for anything.

Mary
</font>
No "packet" waiting despite confirmed reservation and copies of advance emails exchanged prior to arrival. Given 1 breakfast coupon good for each day of stay. Had to request additional for spouse. Coupon book given, but they were sitting on the counter anyway.

We still had a wonderful time and are hoping to go back this year while the 100K ALON's can still be used.
Old Jan 1, 2003, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yyzflyer:
Sorry to sound a sour note, but

No "packet" waiting despite confirmed reservation and copies of advance emails exchanged prior to arrival. Given 1 breakfast coupon good for each day of stay. Had to request additional for spouse. Coupon book given, but they were sitting on the counter anyway.

We still had a wonderful time and are hoping to go back this year while the 100K ALON's can still be used.
</font>
I remember when you were planning your trip for your special anniversary. I also felt terrible that you had such a difficult time. We too were celebrating an anniversary (20th), and I faxed them that info in advance as well as the request for the magnificent 01 room. We were there in June.

They complied, but, as I said, it was before Kalia closed.

They also told me that the hotel was almost continuously sold out. They seem to be the only hotel in Waikiki that had lots of business. The hotel doesn't look full because it's so spread out, and I'll bet lots of those people are in conventions during the day. We requested a late checkout, and were denied even an extra 1/2 hour.

I'm telling you all this not to make you feel worse - but to give you some unsolicited advise.

Fax your room preference a week or two in advance. We had 2 reservations, and because we faxed only a few days before, we had to change rooms. They told us that had they known a little sooner we would not have needed to move.

We needed to pay for 2 nights - we did so the beginning 2 nights. We paid for the most expensive room in the Rainbow Tower (exclusive of suites - the 01 rooms are considered junior suites) with the hope that they would upgrade us to 01 and also let us keep it. Also, arriving on an ALON on the weekend can be not so great for the upgrades. Our ALON won't start until Sunday.

We've done the same for our upcoming ALON in March. We're not counting on getting such a wonderful upgrade this trip, but I will do exactly as the hotel suggested a week or two before.

I'll post back (or perhaps even live ). I hope that you have better luck on your upcoming trip!

Mary
Old Jan 1, 2003, 11:39 pm

Thanks for your note, Mary. I am monitoring your threads closely as you ask all the right questions which I also need answers to. Despite our disappointment with our Gold treatment, we loved the resort and are hoping to return this summer (with at least one of the kids) while an ALON still costs 100K points.

Question for you or other experts: Apart from upgrades, what tower/room type would be best for family of 4, where the two kids don't share a bed (girl, boy of diverse ages). For example, we had a King room in the Ali'i tower; the sofa had no bed and the room wasn't big enough for a rollaway - assume 2 bed room would be the same. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Old Jan 2, 2003, 9:47 am

We were at HHV over Christmas on an award stay, we are diamond, only upgraded to ocean view 10th flr in Diamond tower! We were not happy, oldest tower I think, not that great of a view, we were told they were full could not move! Asked for a late check out, no, they dont give late check outs! Free breakfast coupons same from gold and diamond, only good in Kalia tower, or pay extra money! Two free bottles of water for the STAY, 2.50$ if you want more, 3.25$ for pack of coffee in room, 3.50$ a day to use safe! 2 Beach chairs and umbrella are 44$ a day! We recieved no additional amenities for being diamond, status doesnt seem to matter at this hotel! We stayed at the Royal Hawaiian (Pink hotel) 2 days before going to HHV, (we paid the same rate HHV had quoted us for those nights), we were upgraded to a beautiful suite (about 4 times the size of HHV room)2 bottles of water a day, free beach chairs and umbrella, free coffee, amenity basket sent to room, 35% off all food, employees were very friendly, robe and slippers, etc. It was a real let down to go to HHV!!! Good luck!
Old Jan 19, 2003, 11:19 am

Family at HHV

Given my very limited experience at HHV - room in Ali'i tower and use of hospitality "suite" in Diamond Head tower, I need to know what tower/room type would be best at HHV for family of four. Two children - one boy, one girl - are of diverse ages and do not share a bed, so we need a total of 3 sleeping surfaces (beds, sofabed, rollway). Our room in the Ali'i tower featured one king bed and a sofa (not sleeper). There would not have been room for a rollaway with the room layout and two double beds would have been tight as well. I am assuming that upgrade for Gold will be minimal as far as room size goes, and I would prefer not to get 2 rooms.

With the wealth of experience here, what have you noticed regarding size and suitability of rooms among the different towers? Also, what are chances of getting breakfast for all four of us as Gold, based on past experiences?

As always, advice is much appreciated.
Old Jan 19, 2003, 3:49 pm

We stayed here in July using an ALON award and were placed in the Tapa tower. We had the same situation with a 16 year old son and a 10 year old daughter. The room was a corner suite and had a king bedroom with a bathroom and also a living room with a sleeper sofa and a dining room table. We requested a rollaway bed for a daughter (no charge) and our son used the sofa. The room had 2 balconies, 2 bathrooms, 2 televisions and a small refrigerator. We had a great time and can only assume that your family will also.
You may want to contact the general manager prior to arrival and request the type of room that we had.
Hope you have a great time.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 12:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yyzflyer:
Given my very limited experience at HHV - room in Ali'i tower and use of hospitality "suite" in Diamond Head tower, I need to know what tower/room type would be best at HHV for family of four. Two children - one boy, one girl - are of diverse ages and do not share a bed, so we need a total of 3 sleeping surfaces (beds, sofabed, rollway). Our room in the Ali'i tower featured one king bed and a sofa (not sleeper). There would not have been room for a rollaway with the room layout and two double beds would have been tight as well. I am assuming that upgrade for Gold will be minimal as far as room size goes, and I would prefer not to get 2 rooms.
</font>
Maybe two rooms would be a good idea..... If you can swing it, try requesting the 00 or 01 room in the rainbow tower. Some of those connect with the 03 & 02 rooms, and pay for that room. Given your gold status, and the fact that you're paying for a fairly expensive room, you may just end up with the 00/02 or 01/03 combo with connectors.

We were in a few different rooms in the Rainbow tower (one which we refused). None of them were too big. The 00/01 rooms have a king size bed & no sofa. The 03 room we were in had 2 full size beds and no sofa, and we thought was a little on the tight side (but the view made up for it).

No matter what you decide to do, make sure that you fax your preferences 1-2 weeks before you go. This hotel blocks out rooms early.

Good Luck

Mary

Old Jan 20, 2003, 3:27 pm

Thanks, Mary and yoimceo (love your handle BTW).

Like everyone else I'm trying to squeeze in another ALON before the point level increases. This time both the kids want to go. We had thought of going to HWV, but with the recent negative posts and the much-more-expensive airfare, I figured it would be HHV again. At least I know what to expect there.

Has anyone had any luck turning an ALON into a stay in the Lagoon Tower by paying extra? The rooms there are much larger and would meet our requirements (as would the one described by yoimceo).

Also, any thoughts on the breakfast question?
Old Jan 21, 2003, 7:06 am

Also, any thoughts on the breakfast question?</font>
Sorry - missed that part.

Our 2 stays had different results.

First one DH & I had two separate accounts. Mine was gold his blue. I got a breakfast coupon, he did not. When I inquired, they said it was for the gold member only (this was 11/01). The coupons were good for the buffet breakfast in the Rainbow tower.

Second stay was 6/02 - our accounts had been combined & we were both golds. There was a coupon for each of us for the continental breakfast at Tropics.

Mary

Old Jan 26, 2003, 8:14 pm

Hilton Hawaiian Village - HELP

I'm booking a trip to the HHV for the end of February and I need some help deciding which tower to book. I've heard that the Rainbow tower has rooms with wonderful views (especially the XX00 and XX01 rooms on high floors with XX01 having a view of the Ocean and Diamond Head) and with two Lanais. I've also heard that the Ali'i tower has much nicer rooms with more amenities, executive lounge, and great views. So, which is a better choice? Are the views really that much better from the Rainbow tower? It seems to me that both towers are situated pretty close together from looking at a map of the resort. If the Ali'i tower is the way to go, then what are the best rooms? Can the same XX00 and XX01 high floor logic be used for this tower? Thank you in advance for the help.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 9:12 am

We've stayed in both the Ali'i and Rainbow towers now and it is a pretty tough choice. If you can get the XX00 or XX01 rooms on a high floor in Rainbow it will be a pretty wonderful stay. The Ali'i tower also has the same double balcony setup but I don't know the room number sequence, there are fewer of them, and they aren't as high. The rooms in Ali'i are substantially nicer than those in the Rainbow tower, though, and you get nice room amenities and extras. Our 'extras' varied throughout the stay. Several times there was turndown service with cognac and chocolate. There was a fruitplate one day. We couldn't find a listing to indicate if there was supposed to be any schedule to the extra perks which we assumed must be the case since they weren't consistent... Coffee was free. Evening snacks in the lounge were provided for the whole tower so they weren't especially interesting. I think the evening lounge is really just a draw to lure people to order bar beverages since the lounge is setup around a fully staffed bar.

Gold and diamond perks: breakfast-wise in Ali'i, we were given a choice between the Ali'i lounge or coupons. The lounge buffet wasn't nearly as nice as the restuarant buffet so we chose coupons. Rumor has it that this may not still be an option. If you are in Ali'i you may have to do the Ali'i lounge breakfast. The coupons are good for the Palm Terrace restaurant breakfast buffet and you get those if you are staying in Rainbow.

If we had our choice and wanted to pay the price to insure a good view, we'd probably choose the Ali'i tower next time. But we were pleased with the Rainbow tower views and there are more rooms in Rainbow so your chance at a room with a good view is probably higher in Rainbow if that is your primary concern.

Old Jan 27, 2003, 9:28 am

Also see A Compilation of Selected FT Posts Concerning the HHV by cblaisd.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 6:37 pm

Wow, thanks for the post ronamc. Anybody know what the number sequence is for the Ali'i tower rooms with the double balconies and the great views?

Also, is there self-parking at the resort or is it all valet? What's the price difference and is it worth it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.