Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 promotions

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2021, 6:08 am

Programs: AY LUMO
First we need domestic ATR -free routes.
manywhere likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
First we need domestic ATR -free routes.
Thats why I said "J" in quotes could just be a domestic campaign since domestic earnings are pathetic anyways 😂😂
Old May 18, 2021, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
So how much this 100k+100k would work out in real money?
Old May 19, 2021, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
So how much this 100k+100k would work out in real money?
I'm looking at it atm. 1287€ for 200k points.
A little bit tempted, I have no need to earn tier points for at least one year and could travel on points if I could travel.
The points are quite good value for me as I'm not HEL based.
​​​​​​
Old May 19, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: Finnair Plat
This 100% extra points sounds appealing; 200.000 point with 13k EUR; i.e. one LH in J + one European flight for ~15k (including taxes and fees).

I checked HEL-BKK in end Nov - early Dec, 2-3 weeks with flexi days but the search didn't return any flights. Does anyone have any experience on the availability of booking flights with points?
Old May 19, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Talonmies
This 100% extra points sounds appealing; 200.000 point with 13k EUR; i.e. one LH in J + one European flight for ~15k (including taxes and fees).

I checked HEL-BKK in end Nov - early Dec, 2-3 weeks with flexi days but the search didn't return any flights. Does anyone have any experience on the availability of booking flights with points?
at 13k eur it would not be much of a deal 😂😂
Old May 19, 2021, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Talonmies
On the HEL-BKK route 8.12 seems to be the last day before "Christmas blackout" for inbound travel. I did a quick search, there might be inbound dates available later.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 10:38 am

Hi, just missed the last points promotion. Anyone knows if Finnair will be having another points sale any time soon? Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2021, 11:56 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I'd say that is likely. Selling points means getting money upfront for future liabilities.
When? Who knows.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi, just missed the last points promotion. Anyone knows if Finnair will be having another points sale any time soon? Thanks
I missed it, too. Last year there was a promo mid-June.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 8:15 pm

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
All is well, unless you're in a rush. I would expect these point purchase promos every 3-4 months. The best (recent) price for points has been 0.64 euro cents per point.

Bear in mind that
  1. Fundamentally, points are not money. There's several court cases where even the airlines have argued that loyalty points do not have any monetary value and thus should not be compensated.
  2. With airlines burning their cash reserves and desperate to sell their loyalty points, it's likely that points will suffer from severe inflation sooner than later especially once executing the liability materialises for the airlines. This inflation is happening already every day with hotel and airline loyalty program T&C 'enhancements', often done in secrecy. Still, AY has not yet hiked up e.g. point-based upgrades; and there's a part of me that expects e.g. intra-europe upgrade, currently at 10,000 award points, to be 15,000 or 20,000 award points this time next year.
  3. Money will always work. One aspect of the point inflation can be expected to be reduced points-based upgrade availability too. Point awards often come with restrictions. You may encounter many frustrating difficulties when you actually want to redeem hotel gift cards that you bought in a promotion (from the outright lie against the hotel brand policy of "sorry, we are unable to accept these gift cards" to "we get like only one of these per year and we don't know how to enter it into the system so you must pay with money"), or would like to use your AY points.

You should therefore have a clear purpose in mind for using the points if you proceed to buy them. Great savings can be had for premium airfares etc. for sure, but it comes with a certain risk and certain restrictions regarding e.g. availability.

Personally, I bought points in the recent NOV20 sale with the intention of using them towards status requalification in 2024 and onwards, and upgrades. In my case and for my flying pattern it made sense - still does unless AY decides to water down the points' value.
Talonmies likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Meanwhile AF/KL bombs me with double TP offers...
Old Aug 11, 2021, 12:44 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
20% point discount on award flights
Only valid for bookings on website, not waitlists

E.g. 24K return intra-Europe and 72K return intercontinental

Also noticed they reduced their one-way ticket prices to be exactly half of they return prices. E.g return always was 30K and 20K for one-way
Old Aug 11, 2021, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Meanwhile AF/KL bombs me with double TP offers...
That's is proving to be a wonderful promotion. Very economical way to get Platsku there for 2-4 years now 😂👍
Old Aug 11, 2021, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by EuroFlash
20% point discount on award flights
Only valid for bookings on website, not waitlists

E.g. 24K return intra-Europe and 72K return intercontinental

Also noticed they reduced their one-way ticket prices to be exactly half of they return prices. E.g return always was 30K and 20K for one-way
Availability seems fairly solid too... 👍

Maybe they are finally waking up at AY marketing 🤷🏼‍♂️😂

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.