Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Just booked a flight on CX with AY flight number. I tried seat reservation through CX we pages and it didn't go through at first. I asked about it through Finnair chat and they provided me with a CX booking ref and then it worked.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: AY Platinum
Great, thank you.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:04 am

Programs: AY Platinum, AZ Alata Plus
I am travelling with a party of six and as a Plat chose seats for everyone Economy Comfort flying to NY. Now if I upgrade myself to J, does it affect the rights to sit in Economy Comfort for the rest of the group as selected before my upgrade? I would assume not, but just to be on the safe side..
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Fintastic
I am travelling with a party of six and as a Plat chose seats for everyone Economy Comfort flying to NY. Now if I upgrade myself to J, does it affect the rights to sit in Economy Comfort for the rest of the group as selected before my upgrade? I would assume not, but just to be on the safe side..
No effect on seat assignments.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: AY Platinum, AZ Alata Plus
Thanks miamiflyer8! Having some weird issues with seat selection that I do not recall having earlier, when I go to select seats for a group I cannot see what our selected seats are next to the passenger name (though they are blocked on the seat map). Now if I select another seat for a passenger, my previous selection stays blocked so I can't for example move someone from the group to my seat. So if I wanted to move people around I would have to first make a dummy seat assignment somewhere else on the plane for everyone then move them back to the same seats.. Is this really the case or some bug in the system, anyone else had the same?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fintastic
Thanks miamiflyer8! Having some weird issues with seat selection that I do not recall having earlier, when I go to select seats for a group I cannot see what our selected seats are next to the passenger name (though they are blocked on the seat map). Now if I select another seat for a passenger, my previous selection stays blocked so I can't for example move someone from the group to my seat. So if I wanted to move people around I would have to first make a dummy seat assignment somewhere else on the plane for everyone then move them back to the same seats.. Is this really the case or some bug in the system, anyone else had the same?
You're welcome!

I actually have the exact same issue
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:43 am

New to Finnair. Booking on Aadvantage points for next fall. JFK-FCO wide open in Y but the only J is on Finnair via HEL (avoiding fees on BA flights). Would have an 8 hour daytime layover on the outbound flight. Questions:
How happy are people with Finnair J service?
Are there recommendations for a tour of Helsinki between flights?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by Robl
New to Finnair. Booking on Aadvantage points for next fall. JFK-FCO wide open in Y but the only J is on Finnair via HEL (avoiding fees on BA flights). Would have an 8 hour daytime layover on the outbound flight. Questions:
How happy are people with Finnair J service?
Are there recommendations for a tour of Helsinki between flights?
Hi, You have plenty of time, the train ride to city takes just 30 minutes. If you are flying in summer there's a lot to do in Helsinki, in winter I probably would organize some indoor activities.

Info & ready-made stopover packages:
http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/come/stopover-helsinki

Some AY passengers kill time at the Jumbo mall & Flamingo Spa near the airport:

https://www.jumbo.fi/en/
http://www.flamingospa.fi/Home

One option is the book a dayroom in Hilton Airport, I also recommend the new Clarion Airport, a great new hotel:

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/fin...IHI/index.html
https://www.nordicchoicehotels.com/c...sinki-airport/

I believe you can excpect a decent J-product on JFK-HEL-FCO. On the FCO route you will get an A320/321, with Euro-style J-seating: Y-class seats with the middle seat blocked, good meals usually. The lounges at HEL are nice, if you like the Nordic style.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Andaman
Hi, You have plenty of time, the train ride to city takes just 30 minutes. If you are flying in summer there's a lot to do in Helsinki, in winter I probably would organize some indoor activities.

Info & ready-made stopover packages:
http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/come/stopover-helsinki

Some AY passengers kill time at the Jumbo mall & Flamingo Spa near the airport:

https://www.jumbo.fi/en/
http://www.flamingospa.fi/Home

One option is the book a dayroom in Hilton Airport, I also recommend the new Clarion Airport, a great new hotel:

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/fin...IHI/index.html
https://www.nordicchoicehotels.com/c...sinki-airport/

I believe you can excpect a decent J-product on JFK-HEL-FCO. On the FCO route you will get an A320/321, with Euro-style J-seating: Y-class seats with the middle seat blocked, good meals usually. The lounges at HEL are nice, if you like the Nordic style.
Thanks so much for your suggestions.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: AY+ Silver
I'm going to use first time my AY+ gold travel upgrade voucher for long haul flight.
If I understood correctly I do not need to book initial economy tickets via Finnair Gold member helpdesk. I just need to make sure that flight code will start with AY and it's on Finnair metal.

1) If I find good price via online booking sites is Finnair usually able to give me same-ish price?
2) Will Finnair price include bigger booking fees since it will be manual booking?
3) With non-Finnair booking what are the risks in case of changes. Will I lose my upgrade vouchers automatically or is Finnair able to rebook my upgrade for new valid flight?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
You can book your ticket anywhere. When the ticket is issued you can call the Finnair Plus number and request the upgrade. You will know that the ticket is issued when you have your ticket number. Usually you get that in a confirmation mail wherever you made the booking. You will as well se the ticket number in MMB. What they normally do is that they update your ticket to reflect the upgrade.

One exception is that if the ticket is issued by another airline, Finnair can't touch the ticket (of course the leg you are upgrading needs to be AY flight number and the flight needs to be AY metal). In this situation they will confirm the upgrade and you will see that leg as two in your reservation in MMB. The upgrade will then be processed in the check-in system when the check-in is open. This might actually make it easier in case of need to cancel the upgrade if you change the flights (see below).

You can as well request the upgrade online with either points or vouchers, but if you use 4 SH vouchers to upgrade one LH leg, I think the only way is to call (as you do not have an LH voucher you could apply directly). It might be possible to call and ask them to convert the 4 SH vouchers to and LH voucher and then later apply that to the LH flight. But it is an unnecessary step.

Many times there is no availability in the upgrade bucket F. In that case you can't request the upgrade online. But you can always call and ask to be waitlisted on the upgrade. They might upgrade you long before the flight, just days before the flight or even at the gate. The waitlist for upgrades are processed in the priority order Plat, Gold, Silver, Basic. Within the priority the time of making the upgrade request seems to be defining the order.

If you want to be sure there is upgrade space available you can check it from the Finnair webpages prior to making the booking.

If you call Finnair to buy the ticket you will usually have to pay the booking fee which is higher than online or by an TA.

Regardless of where you booked the ticket you can usually get back the voucher by calling Finnair Plus if you need to change the reservation. If there is space in the original booking class this is usually easy. It is more tricky if the original booking class is not available. I am not sure what they then can do... Once the upgrade is cancelled you can change the ticket according to the original rules of your ticket.

Anyway in case of changes the first step is to cancel the upgrade and then you can make the changes to the reservation through whichever channel you purchased the ticket.

This is my experience of how it works unless something has changed...
Venezuela-Miami likes this.

Last edited by Aviating; Jan 1, 2017 at 7:01 am
Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AY+ Silver
Thank you Aviating for very detailed explanation.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:54 am

hi,

I'm travelling with two colleagues, none of them have a oneworld status. Can I, as gold, pay for lounge access for the third guest? If so, can I also take them to the premium lounge?

48 € for lounge acccess is probably cheaper than having the same amount of beers in terminal .
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by casper79
hi,

I'm travelling with two colleagues, none of them have a oneworld status. Can I, as gold, pay for lounge access for the third guest? If so, can I also take them to the premium lounge?

48 € for lounge acccess is probably cheaper than having the same amount of beers in terminal .
Hi Casper,

If you mean by "gold" AY Sapphire then you have access to the premium lounge along with your guest at anytime, however other OW Sapphires only access the Premium Lounge on weekdays only.

Officially, the paid lounge access only counts for the Business lounges but the dragon might let the third man in the Premium lounge as well.

If that doesn't work then they can sneak into the Premium lounge via the sauna.

I recommend you consult this thread, for help on guesting the third guy.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:59 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
I am strugling with my last name that includes letter Ä:
  • AY converts Ä automatically to A (AY+ account, bookings made with AY)
  • Other carriers & passports convert it with AE as it should be
  • I have trips to countries, where I want my name in the E-ticket to be exactly the same name as in my passport (=AE)

Some problems that I´ve encountered:
  • AY website/My bookings shows also these reservations where my last name is spelled as AE
  • Despite this I can´t access the booking, because passenger Ä can´t be found in this reservation (because it is spelled AE)
  • Booked a flight with QF, and tried to add my AY+ account number. It was not possible because my account is with "A" and my booking with "AE" as my passport

People with Ä, Ö or Ü, any comments how one should do it? The easiest option would probably be to ask AY to change letter Ä in my last name to AE, but in Finland that is not accurate and my AY DC is also with Ä.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.