Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Hartsa
It includes lounge access, Fast track, priority boarding and extra bag on hold besides the business service on board.
Well that certainly makes it worthwhile, especially for those without status.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Does the €69 include lounge and Fast Track, or just a set in J?
All J perks except the points
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:33 am

Questions:

when becoming Gold, are those vouchers personal or can you upgrade other people with it (e.g. family, parents, ...)

when becoming platinum, can you exchange the long haul upgrade voucher to 4 short haul ones?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:19 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by casper79
Questions:

when becoming Gold, are those vouchers personal or can you upgrade other people with it (e.g. family, parents, ...)
You can upgrade family and close relatives as per the official rules.

Originally Posted by casper79
when becoming platinum, can you exchange the long haul upgrade voucher to 4 short haul ones?
No.
I've once converter 4 SH to one longhaul and applied it despite being waitlisted. I was told that if upgrade won't clear, I would get the voucher back but only in the form of 1 LH. ie cannot be converted back to SH even if they were SH to start with.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
You can upgrade family and close relatives as per the official rules.

No.
I've once converter 4 SH to one longhaul and applied it despite being waitlisted. I was told that if upgrade won't clear, I would get the voucher back but only in the form of 1 LH. ie cannot be converted back to SH even if they were SH to start with.
It could've been a rule bound agent who stood her ground, or did you try multiple agents?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:36 am

It could've been a rule bound agent who stood her ground, or did you try multiple agents?
I had a similar experience last week, although this was over e-mail and I didn't ask if they could give back 4 SH vouchers in case the upgrade doesn't clear. (It did, though.)
Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Pax has AY Gold and *A no status, flies TP-operated HEL-LIS-HEL in Y with AY ticket/flight numbers. What lounge access if any is granted at HEL and at LIS?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005
Pax has AY Gold and *A no status, flies TP-operated HEL-LIS-HEL in Y with AY ticket/flight numbers. What lounge access if any is granted at HEL and at LIS?
On the lounge rules it says "must have AY marketed ticket" so theoretically yes.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:14 am

On the lounge rules it says "must have AY marketed ticket" so theoretically yes.
I would imagine they'll let you in at HEL AY lounge. But LIS is more interesting. LIS is not mentioned on the lounge list at AY.com.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:46 pm

You get access both in helsinki and in lisbon. I did this couple years ago.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:53 pm

Ok, thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:59 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I am generally in favour of rule based operations so when they told me this upfront, it was nothing to challenge. And we don't know if it is technically is doable to break a LH voucher into 4 SH vouchers. Also, I have no reason to convert back. It is very unlikely for me to ever use SH upgrades.

I know this is FT, but I wonder if HUCA is really going to get ypu around the rules in a nordic environment? My staff sometimes talks to customers with the "everything is negotiable" attitude And it usually just ticks them off. If we have a clear policy on how something is handled, why would anyone in the team want to create a bypass for someone who clearly knows (but just wont accept) the rules? The sense of fairness and equality will prevent most agents from creating dangerous precedence.
Sure, if it is in uncharted territory there is leeway, but if you are asking them to break a very distinct rule you are probably just wasting time by calling multiple times.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

I am generally in favour of rule based operations so when they told me this upfront, it was nothing to challenge. And we don't know if it is technically is doable to break a LH voucher into 4 SH vouchers. Also, I have no reason to convert back. It is very unlikely for me to ever use SH upgrades.

I know this is FT, but I wonder if HUCA is really going to get ypu around the rules in a nordic environment? My staff sometimes talks to customers with the "everything is negotiable" attitude And it usually just ticks them off. If we have a clear policy on how something is handled, why would anyone in the team want to create a bypass for someone who clearly knows (but just wont accept) the rules? The sense of fairness and equality will prevent most agents from creating dangerous precedence.
Sure, if it is in uncharted territory there is leeway, but if you are asking them to break a very distinct rule you are probably just wasting time by calling multiple times.
You are right that in the nordics, especially Finland, everyone loves rules and the even more to enforce them
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I'm after some seat selection advice - I assume this has been discussed already but as a stranger to the Finnair board, I'm not sure where to find it... Just booked an LHR-HEL-TLL trip for May next year, on the A350 LHR-HEL and an A319 HEL-LHR. The TLL flights are short enough that I assume seating doesn't matter...

Travelling with my partner, what seats would you recommend for the A350 and A319? What's the alignment like across the aisle on the A350 - if I want to be able to talk to her, should we go for a D/H pair, or if she were in A and me in D, would we still be able to talk easily? And for the A319 on the way home, I'm thinking either 1A/C or 2D/F - is there any difference in terms of legroom on those?

Having never been on a Finnair aircraft before, any experience would be good! Thanks.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 6:43 pm
Moderator, Finnair

We have a seating advice thread here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...ce-needed.html
It is not complete but you might find some good things there.

In general I'd say it might be difficult to interact with travel companion on A350 in any seat. I would go with seats across the aisle but there are pros and cons. The distance across aisle is small, but you'd need to turn your head more. Anyway, i think that discussions within that thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.