Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2016, 4:17 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Deltus
I'm after some seat selection advice - I assume this has been discussed already but as a stranger to the Finnair board, I'm not sure where to find it... Just booked an LHR-HEL-TLL trip for May next year, on the A350 LHR-HEL and an A319 HEL-LHR. The TLL flights are short enough that I assume seating doesn't matter...
Just small point related to HEL-TLL. In Tallinn you walk from ATR to the terminal building. Therefore sitting in the rear (rows 16 and up) of ATR is preferable, you are among the first ones out of the plane, which is nice if you're traveling without checked luggage.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Just small point related to HEL-TLL. In Tallinn you walk from ATR to the terminal building. Therefore sitting in the rear (rows 16 and up) of ATR is preferable, you are among the first ones out of the plane, which is nice if you're traveling without checked luggage.
Ah, thanks for that - I'll move to the rear exit row then. Does that go for both directions on the TLL leg, or do they exit from the front at HEL?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 8:34 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
In HEL the ATR:s are bussed to and from. The rear door is used always, there is a front "door" only for checked in baggage. So the row does not matter.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: AY+
I think all ATR´s have bus transport in HEL.
So in the end of the day it doesn´t matter where you sit, as everybody goes with same bus.

"TTL was faster"
Old Nov 6, 2016, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by sama
I think all ATR´s have bus transport in HEL.
So in the end of the day it doesn´t matter where you sit, as everybody goes with same bus.

"TTL was faster"
Technically it does as at TKU you walk straight from the aircraft to the terminal so you'd want to be off first.

And at a bus gate I'd like to be first on the bus and take a seat so that I'm not standing and tumbling around with my carry-on.

And regardless of gate situation, I'm very tall so standing up inside the ATR waiting to deplane can be painful.

So yes, it does matter where you sit.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:42 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Does anyone have lounge access in Singapore in the following circumstance:

-4 persons (2 adults, child, infant) Arriving from HEL in business with an upgraded ticket. Onwards with Bangkok Airways with AY flight number to Koh Samui in Economy. I am Platinum on Finnair (gold card given away already).

We are later flying from Singapore to Helsinki, again with upgraded business tickets. How are Oneworld carriers and lounges with children? I know BA lounges have a strict +1 guest rule so we can't use their First lounge, but would we be able to use any other First lounge thanks to my Emerald status, or are we stuck with business lounges via our upgraded tickets?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by niksal
Does anyone have lounge access in Singapore in the following circumstance:

-4 persons (2 adults, child, infant) Arriving from HEL in business with an upgraded ticket. Onwards with Bangkok Airways with AY flight number to Koh Samui in Economy. I am Platinum on Finnair (gold card given away already).

We are later flying from Singapore to Helsinki, again with upgraded business tickets. How are Oneworld carriers and lounges with children? I know BA lounges have a strict +1 guest rule so we can't use their First lounge, but would we be able to use any other First lounge thanks to my Emerald status, or are we stuck with business lounges via our upgraded tickets?
No access to any lounge as your ticket has to be on oneworld metal.

You could try the QF lounge as QF dragons can be very accommodating for families, but this is Singapore so they will stick to strict rules.

Changi is one of the only airports in the world where I'd spend a layover without lounge access.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Coming back I'd go to the QF lounge. Though not "F" (AFAIK) but very nice.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Coming back I'd go to the QF lounge. Though not "F" (AFAIK) but very nice.
Any QF lounge is nice, even if it's not an F lounge like SYD and LAX.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:40 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by niksal
Onwards with Bangkok Airways with AY flight number to Koh Samui in Economy
How does one book such flight? Through one of the OW Explorer/Circle things?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unsub
I'm wondering same thing.

I thought Bangkok Airways never had anything to do with AY.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
They have a codeshare. (AY6850)

Btw: Bangkok airways has lounge services for all passengers at BKK.
The clean and comfortable boutique lounges are similar to business-class style lounges offered by other airlines, but the striking difference is that it is available to all passengers with no extra charge or hidden fees.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Well good to know they have the service at BKK but niksal asked about Singapore-Changi.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:19 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I've only tried the domestic lounge and it sucks. Royally.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:25 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
I booked it one Finnair's webpage. I recall finding the connection on some OTA, and could book it on Finnair's webpage via the multistop functionality.

It's not a long layover so we can probably survive without the lounge. Coming back, I hope I can pop into one of the F sections alone for a while. Flying mostly intra-Nordic I don't get to enjoy any F stuff that often.

Thank you for the replies!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.