Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by HJP
People with Ä, Ö or Ü, any comments how one should do it? The easiest option would probably be to ask AY to change letter Ä in my last name to AE, but in Finland that is not accurate and my AY DC is also with Ä.
Just use A when booking tickets, don't write Ä or AE anywhere and you will be fine.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:27 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by lkrt
Just use A when booking tickets, don't write Ä or AE anywhere and you will be fine.
Does not solve the passport issue (where it is written AE). Can it cause issues in some countries when passport & ticket name don´t match 100%?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:50 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
By passport, do you mean machinereable part?

I have Å in passport which is correctly AA in the machinereadable part. AY sometimes shows booking with A (incorrect) spelling and sometimes with AA. Luckily it is not in surnamd so i have no issues pulling the reservation. As for immigrations i have not had any issues A or AA
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
I have Ä in my last name and have always used A instead for airline tickets.

I did use A as well in visa applications in the past.

The only time I have had a problem was when I flew to Australia about 10 years ago. The evisa was with A and they had to update the visa at the border to match the machine readable AE.

So nowadays I make always the visa/ESTA applications/immigration documents so that they match the machine readable version on the passport (or for the immigration documents whatever is the version of spelling in the visa). Sometimes the visa is granted with AE, sometimes with A, despite that I always put the AE version in the visa application.

For tickets I do always use A instead of Ä. When passport information is requested for checkin (such as when you fly to US) I use the machine readable version AE. Usually there is a field where the name is requested as spelled in the passport.

Remember that according to IATA up to three letters of spelling errors are allowed in the ticket, so however you spell the special letters in the ticket does not make any difference.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: AY Silver
Quick question - do award flights paid with points count as qualifying flights for tier upgrades? I'm guessing not but would be nice to know either way...
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by FossilFlyer
Quick question - do award flights paid with points count as qualifying flights for tier upgrades? I'm guessing not but would be nice to know either way...
No, award flights of any kind are not eligible for mileage nor segment accrual.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by lkrt
No, award flights of any kind are not eligible for mileage nor segment accrual.
And also those AY+ offers where you pay usually 2k points plus a really good amount of money are not eligible.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by FossilFlyer
Award flights, regardless of which program you get the award from, will
- not give you award points
- not give you tier points
- not give you segments
- not be upgradable to J with points

All of the above also applies to AY's money+points offers.

However, you may upgrade an award flight to J
- using vouchers
- at the airport if they offer cash upgrades at check-in or the gate.

Last edited by ffay005; Jan 9, 2017 at 1:05 pm Reason: upgrade w/ vouchers
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Aviating
Remember that according to IATA up to three letters of spelling errors are allowed in the ticket, so however you spell the special letters in the ticket does not make any difference.
It does, however, cause difficulties in practice. AA OLCI will not allow OLCI if passenger's name and passport info do not match 100 %.

When I've booked tickets to ppl with Ä in their names, I've substituted it with AE and, when filling in passport info on the airline's website, spelled it AE as well. No problems. So my suggestion is to spell the name on your ticket in the same way as it is spelled on the machine readable part of your passport, and then use this spelling throughout (visa applications, passport infos on website etc).

The problem here might be that since the name with AE does not match the frequent flyer card with Ä, the card might not be accepted. In this case, I suggest conctacting the airline to ask for a "name change".

The DC card of course makes it more complicated because now the name doesn't match the sotu. No idea whether DC would allow the name to be changed here.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
As usual, not so simple.

Just to state the most obvious: AY award flights ARE upgradable with AY upgrade vouchers
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
As usual, not so simple.

Just to state the most obvious: AY award flights ARE upgradable with AY upgrade vouchers
Really? Meaning I can book an award ticket in Y and then upgrade using a voucher? I didn't know that.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ffay005
Really? Meaning I can book an award ticket in Y and then upgrade using a voucher? I didn't know that.
Yes sir!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AY Silver
Thanks for the answers, and interesting to see that even Plats keep finding new benefits/ quirks!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Yes sir!
Okay! Thanks to you and Wilco! I guess it is true that one learns something new every day...

I corrected my earlier post to reflect this.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
this comes in very handy if the flight appears not to have award seats left (in Y). My plan B is to call Customer Service and check if they have J by voucher, then ask them to book a Y award seat and upgrade to J. Kind of bypassing the system. This has worked most of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.