Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Originally Posted by reflektia
At least AY marketed TP operated flights give lounge access in Helsinki and Lisbon.
Really, you are sure about that? I have an upcoming trip to LIS and I'm wondering what to book. Only Silver on Star Alliance anymore. Fast track as well?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by niksal
Really, you are sure about that? I have an upcoming trip to LIS and I'm wondering what to book. Only Silver on Star Alliance anymore. Fast track as well?
I don't remember about fast track, but yes, you will get lounge at LIS on AY-coded TP flight and points posting just fine. Done that in some other places too where I did not expect it. ^
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:34 am

I was just wondering; do they have any Finnish specialities, treats, or such, onboard their flights from Edinburgh?

Thanks,
A curious Scotsman
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:46 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Frankly not much on a shorthaul.
They offer Blueberry "juice" as a signature drink for free. They usually carry Koff or another domestic beer (free in J , paid in Y) . Food has a nordic angle, but calling it "specialities" would go too far.
Sometimes there is a small chocolate from Fazer.

The tax-free assortment may have a few Finnish items, like Marimekko designed stuff, AY branded plane models and such.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by TheScotsman69
I was just wondering; do they have any Finnish specialities, treats, or such, onboard their flights from Edinburgh?

Thanks,
A curious Scotsman
Welcome to FT!

AY offers less Finnish specialities than you and I would hope. In J, they've got Finn Crisps, a type of thin, sour crispbread. Try it with Finnish salted butter. You might become addicted! Sometimes, they've got salmon in J, but coming from Scotland I believe you'll hardly find it particularly Finnish.

The "Finnish" blueberry juice is primarily made of Chilean blueberries, which are different from the Finnish forest bilberries. Here's their Y inflight buy-on-board menu: https://www.finnair.com/go/2017.1-98..._Skybistro.pdf Rye bread sandwich, Fazer milk chocolate, granola bars, Finnish Karhu beer (Karhu means bear), a special Finnish alcopop called Gin Long Drink (basically grapefruit lemonade and gin, worth trying out; every Finn gets drunk on "lonkero" before they turn 16) and Finlandia Vodka as well as Koskenkorva Blueberry Vodka. The alcoholic drinks are available free of charge in J.

The lounge in HEL has rye bread and Fazer milk chocolates.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:56 pm

Alright, thanks for the answers guys!
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:09 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by ffay005
a special Finnish alcopop called Gin Long Drink (basically grapefruit lemonade and gin, worth trying out; every Finn gets drunk on "lonkero" before they turn 16)
Fun fact: This drink was developed for 1952 Helsinki Olympics.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Kimi Räikkönen is the new face of "Lonkero", helping with exports:

http://www.hartwall.fi/en/news/2017/...nal-long-drink
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Originally Posted by FFlash
I don't remember about fast track, but yes, you will get lounge at LIS on AY-coded TP flight and points posting just fine. Done that in some other places too where I did not expect it. ^
Interesting, I asked about the lounge access from Plat-service. They claimed you get lounge in Helsinki with all AY marketed flights, but at other airports the flight has to be Oneworld operated. No lounge access in Lisbon.

I guess the only way to find out is to try. I have a AY Plat DC, so that should get me lounge access anyway.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by niksal
Interesting, I asked about the lounge access from Plat-service. They claimed you get lounge in Helsinki with all AY marketed flights, but at other airports the flight has to be Oneworld operated. No lounge access in Lisbon.

I guess the only way to find out is to try. I have a AY Plat DC, so that should get me lounge access anyway.
This is probably nothing guaranteed nor experienced first-hand by the Plat line agents. However, past experiences have proved them to be wrong.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:08 pm

I checked in for my flight to LHR but messed up some of my passport details. Tried to go back but couldn't change them anymore, also canceling and redoing the check-in doesn't let me fix them. Does anyone know if there's a way to do this or should I go to the check-in desk at HEL?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by jmmi
I checked in for my flight to LHR but messed up some of my passport details. Tried to go back but couldn't change them anymore, also canceling and redoing the check-in doesn't let me fix them. Does anyone know if there's a way to do this or should I go to the check-in desk at HEL?
You could try the chat or the call center but I'd go to the desk.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by jmmi
Not a problem. If you don't need to go to a check-in desk for other reasons, then just do it at the gate. No reason to do anything before you get to the airport.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
You could try the chat or the call center but I'd go to the desk.
Originally Posted by ffay005
Not a problem. If you don't need to go to a check-in desk for other reasons, then just do it at the gate. No reason to do anything before you get to the airport.
Thanks both of you – I went to the desk (before seeing ffay005's post) and it was taken care of. If this turns into a habit, I'll do it at the gate next time.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by SPBanker
please note, AY carries not the Original Hartwall product, but a dire version of a poor copy by Sinebrychoff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.