Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Furry
Why you can only pre-order wines / sparkling wines (inside EU) for flights ex-HEL and not EU-HEL? Some taxation bs? Should be more profit for them as alcohol tax is lower in every other country than Finland inside EU.
Is it the same on every airline? Wish I could order some NF from ARN...
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:13 pm

Quick question about A320 seating (I couldn't seem to find a thread from this decade on the topic) - 11 and 12 are marked as exit rows, but only the first one has the extra legroom annotation. Is there anything wrong with row 12? Usually it's the one to take since the row up front doesn't recline, but maybe there's something special going on?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello AY experts,

I have a few AY ATR/Embraer flights coming up where I may have hard sided hand luggage. If my bag doesn't fit in the ATR lockers or under the seat, what is AY's gate check policy---do I get the bag back at the gate when I land, or does it go to a bag claim?

Reason I ask is that some of these flights are "connecting" to other flights on separate tickets.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:40 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I can't help you with ATRs (haven't flown them) but for E90 you should be able to store a bag of size 56x40x25 in the overheads which is just slightly under the allowed size (56x45x25). The Embraers have deep but limited height size overheads so more flat items can be 61 cm and still fit on the depth. (Numbers from Embraer op manual)

For under seat storage, 40 x 30 x15cm is supposed to fit on all aircraft but this is Finnair statement, and I haven't checked it IRL.

I can't recall being subjected to gate check ever. Usually (on Embraers and Airbuses) if it won't fit, first action is to fit it in the "wardrobe".

ATR are special cases where they need to put more bags in the hull and they certainly will have a SOP for that. Someone with experience will be along soon to answer that question
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by Calchas
Hello AY experts,

I have a few AY ATR/Embraer flights coming up where I may have hard sided hand luggage. If my bag doesn't fit in the ATR lockers or under the seat, what is AY's gate check policy---do I get the bag back at the gate when I land, or does it go to a bag claim?

Reason I ask is that some of these flights are "connecting" to other flights on separate tickets.
Haven't ever seen AY gate check oversize or excessive baggage, though it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. IMHO they really should do it, as sometimes people are allowed to take enormous amounts of hand luggage onboard. On ATRs the FAs sometimes take some bigger pieces of hand luggage in the small aft cargo hold, to be returned when exiting the plane.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Purjelentaja and intuition. ^
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
In the ATRs height is also an issue with the overhead lockers. And you can only put that luggage under the seat if you are sitting at the aisle.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Jainzar
In the ATRs height is also an issue with the overhead lockers. And you can only put that luggage under the seat if you are sitting at the aisle.
Seat 19B that's available in some configurations isn't very good as bin space is limited because the space is taken up by medical kits and what not.

Norra FA's tend to be bad apples IMO, once they tried to forcibly stuff a large bag under the seat infront of me.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
ATR - if it's too big, they'll take your luggage on the tarmac at the steps (ATR are always "bus gates") and you'll get it back at the the same way. There's often a cart where you just put it and it'll get loaded.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:19 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
FWIW this trolley fits into ATR overhead bin, it's close but it fits.

https://www.rimowa.com/en-us/pilot-m...ge/923.50.00.4
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
I can confirm what's been said:
1) does it fit in the overhead compartment?
2) does it fit under seat?
3) does it fit in tail cargo hold - handed over at deplaning by FA?
4) if all above fail it goes into front cargo hold and you get it upon deplaning.

My 2011 Rimowa Salsa IATA standard size cabin bag fits in an ATR, no prob. Can't remember size but if you look for IATA aporoved size on their website or www.kofferdirekt.de a similar model is easy to find.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Please note that overhead lockers under the wing are smaller than lockers back and front of the ATR cabin.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Good point - there you can just put a laptop case and a jacket, nothing bulkier.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by temppa
Please note that overhead lockers under the wing are smaller than lockers back and front of the ATR cabin.
Why is this, out of curiosity?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Why is this, out of curiosity?
IIRC there's a fire extinguisher there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.