Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by FossilFlyer
Thanks both, very useful to know. Next question is then how to get the Amadeus PNR for such a booking!
How do you check in for the flight if you do not know the PNR?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by lkrt
How do you check in for the flight if you do not know the PNR?
I guess you can call the call center with your etkt and ask for the PNR, worked for me once with IB.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by FossilFlyer
Thanks both, very useful to know. Next question is then how to get the Amadeus PNR for such a booking!
It's on your ticket - PNR, booking number, reservation number, booking code or something similar. 6 digits alphanumerical code
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:41 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by R2
When I got this 200k milestone gift a couple of weeks ago, there was no LH upgrade option.
I'm I missing something here...4 SH vouchers can be used as 1 LH upgrade? So actually 4 SH are more flexible..
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: AY Silver
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
It's on your ticket - PNR, booking number, reservation number, booking code or something similar. 6 digits alphanumerical code
Aha, I hadn't connected that (I think usually called booking reference on my tickets) as being the same thing as the Amadeus PNR! Thanks all!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
I'm thinking about requesting an upgrade for my JFK-HEL flight. Have used my lh upgrades already, but still have my 4 sh. IIRC, once those 4 sh vouchers converted into a lh one, they cannot be changed back to 4 sh.

As for now I'm still a bit unsure with the rest of my travel plans, would like to keep my options as flexible as possible. Would it be possible to get on the waitlist using 50K award points and if/when the upgrade clears change the 50K point to the vouchers?

Also, any idea of what are the chances of the upgrade actually clearing? (2 pax, me as AY+ plat, the other one as AY+ gold)
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:49 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
... once those 4 sh vouchers converted into a lh one, they cannot be changed back to 4 sh.
That is what I was told by plat line a few years ago, but IIRC others have reported that the modus operandi no longer is "first convert, then apply" but rather just apply 4 SH, thus making it possible to get 4SH back if upgrade is cancelled.

Others have reported being able to swap between vouchers and points after upgrade have cleared, so yes. No personal experience though.

No idea about that route, but in general waitlist clears pretty well for plats, not as easily for gold. My suggestion would be for you to initiate both upgrades, then they will see your plat tier when processing it. (They use FQTR field, ie they will add your FF number to the upgrade request for others)
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:38 am

Thanks intuition! I'll try my luck and give the Platinum line a call tonight when I get home!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:12 pm

Just got off the phone with the Platinum line. What I've been told is, that should the upgrade not clear, they'll return 1 lh instead of the 4 sh vouchers. BUT, as they were originally 4 EU upgrades, I can call the CS and they can convert it back to 4 sh upgrades.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Wheelchairs and airports

I'm flying AY58 from PVG to home after a knee injury here in China. My ticket shows a wheelchair service and wanted ask if anyone has any experience on it. Will they let me take my crutches with me through security or will they be checked in? Can I politely refuse the service or will it be forced? Would they be taking me to lounge and back, or only to the gate? Any other experiences? I'm flying J of course..
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
The wheel chair service comes in many different forms. I would say that usually it is best to use it if prescribed. You will get the wheel chair usually from an assistance desk (I do not remember where it is located at PVG) or latest at the check-in desk. If you are getting transportation from the hospital from the airport, usually the personnel will get you the wheel chair.

The wheel chair service obviously comes with someone who is pushing the wheel chair for you. They will help you with the carry on luggage as well. The wheel chair pusher knows usually the best route to take and will take you quickly through the immigration and security. In the security they will usually pat you down and briefly have you stand up if you can. You will be able to take with you the crutches to the aircraft. It makes it easier to move about during the flight.

The wheel chair pusher will take you wherever you want; taxfree, lounge, gate area. It is important that you agree with the wheel chair pusher when he will come and pick you up. You will be pre-boarded and when leaving the plane you will be the last passenger leaving.

Wheel chair services comes in the following flavours:
WCHR=Wheel Chair to the Ramp (to the ramp only not up the steps, in case of JB to the door)
WCHS=Wheel Chair up the Steps (up the steps up to the aircraft door)
WCHC=Wheel Chair Complete (all the way to the seat)

WCHR anyone can get by just requesting from the airline. If you need more than WCHR there is a requirement to have a MEDIF submitted by the treating physician. MEDIF is required as well if you for example have been in for treatment in a hospital prior to the flight.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Aviating
The wheel chair service comes in many different forms.
Thank you for a comprehensive reply. Sounds like it's a smooth ride. I got the basic WCHR service.

Another question: after all this, I ended up with an unused PVG-HEL segment on a Value ticket, which I can change to any given date in the next 12 months. How would you go on about using this, as one-way tickets are notoriously expensive on AY? How would one place itself into Asia on an OW carrier to be able to use this "free" return segment economically?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: AY,CA,CZ
CX sells oneway tickets HEL-PVG, sometimes just for 300e with good booking classes (~10k points oneway). Available e.g. through skyscanner (not directly from CX). AY also sells oneway tickets EU->HKG at least and via agents.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: AY,CA,CZ
skyscanner has had for a while a feature that allows to filter by alliance, easier than picking airlines separately. Also Ctrip has sometimes some good offers. For example seems to offer 3709HKD AY057 15MAR17. No idea about booking class but it seems to be changeable for a fee so smells like a Value ticket. Kilroy sells similar tickets to students / youngsters.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Why you can only pre-order wines / sparkling wines (inside EU) for flights ex-HEL and not EU-HEL? Some taxation bs? Should be more profit for them as alcohol tax is lower in every other country than Finland inside EU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.