Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
You ask Finnair for a "BA Booking reference number", which should be different from the one that is printed on your ticket. Then you go to BA's website and enter the new booking number and your last name, and should be able to select seats.
Mike_Smith likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by ffay005
You ask Finnair for a "BA Booking reference number", which should be different from the one that is printed on your ticket. Then you go to BA's website and enter the new booking number and your last name, and should be able to select seats.
Is it a different number?
After Amadeus moved to a single PNR for code share flights there are issues in selecting seats for such flights unless a marketing airline paid to have access to the operating airline seatmap and show that in Amadeus.

This only applies when both airlines are in Amadeus, for example, the issue shall be in place for AY op by BA/ CX and vv.
Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Just wondering if the wiki should be updated.
Mike_Smith likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Mike_Smith
Can you please translate that into English? :-)

please and thank you.
Originally Posted by ffay005
ffay005 explains it well. You should ask for the BA booking reference number (either call customer service or use the online chat function), and then use that BA reference number to select seats on BA via the Manage My Booking function on BA's website.

Originally Posted by Jainzar
Is it a different number?

Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Just wondering if the wiki should be updated.
In my experience, there is a different number. Although you can use the AY reference number to view the booking on BA's website, it won't allow you to select seats on BA.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by florens
BA and AY have been using the same PNR since a couple of years now, though?
Not in my experience. Although the AY PNR allows you to view your itinerary on BA's website, it won't allow you to select seats on BA-operated flights. I've been able to get a different PNR from customer service (or via chat), which did allow me to select seats on BA-operated flights.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Not in my experience. Although the AY PNR allows you to view your itinerary on BA's website, it won't allow you to select seats on BA-operated flights. I've been able to get a different PNR from customer service (or via chat), which did allow me to select seats on BA-operated flights.
This strikes me as odd. The seat selection issue has to do with the codeshares.

I usually book AY flights on BA codeshares and there is only 1 PNR. Why would there be two the other way round? Now I am confused.
esledo likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:11 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Maybe (I am purely guessing) the implementation of the shared common PNR was done in a way that just added a PNR "on top" of the locally used. So there could be a system-wide PNR while some airlines still keep a second local one?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by florens
This strikes me as odd. The seat selection issue has to do with the codeshares.

I usually book AY flights on BA codeshares and there is only 1 PNR. Why would there be two the other way round? Now I am confused.
I haven't done it the other way around, so I'm not sure about that situation. However, even with my situation where I booked AY-marketed, BA-operated flights, I had to call in/chat with AY customer service to get the BA PNR. My experience in the past with booking AA codeshares on other airlines (CX, JL, etc.) is that there is a separate PNR that you have to call in for as well.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
... My experience in the past with booking AA codeshares on other airlines (CX, JL, etc.) is that there is a separate PNR that you have to call in for as well.
AA marketed flights are in a different league, as AA is not using Amadeus, but Sabre. So for those flights marketed by AA, but operated by a partner using Amadeus, will for sure be a second reservation number.
florens and flyingeph12 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
AA marketed flights are in a different league, as AA is not using Amadeus, but Sabre. So for those flights marketed by AA, but operated by a partner using Amadeus, will for sure be a second reservation number.
Yes, that is a good point. Regardless, at least with AY codeshares on BA metal (booked through AY’s website), my experience is that there is a separate BA reference number that allows you to manage your booking (select seats, reserve meals, etc.) on BA.com.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: QF WP, VA
Question about the shower cubicles in the Schengen lounge in HEL: are they attended or cleaned between use? I was the first to use the cubicle for the day but saw the people after me tossing up whether to wait for it to be cleaned vs using as is.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Not attended in the way CX HKG or LHR showers are attended, but they are cleaned and the towels replaced as soon as possible.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Hi, I'm new to both Flyertalk and Finnair and have decided to credit to Finnair Plus and hopefully get Gold in the tracking period.
I have an upcoming CPH-SIN on the 31st of January and saw that there is a short-haul upgrade promotion going on. I was thinking of upgrading either CPH-HEL or HEL-CPH as I have only flew once in Finnair in economy and would like very much like to give Business a try since I'm planning on sticking to this programme (Only ever flew business once in my life on Qatar (DOH-CPH) from a very lucky upgrade at the gate).

However, checking the availability calendar, both my short-haul flights show no availability. Qustions are:
1. Does availability open up closer to the date? (For a lowly Basic member)
2. Is it worth it to spend 5k/7.5k points to upgrade a CPH-HEL/HEL-CPH flight to try out the onboard experience and lounge? (Currently only have 10k points)

SierraAlphaMike
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:54 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
1. Timing and number of seats released to upgrades have for awhile been unpredicatble. You can study The Big UPGRADE Thread – all you need to know about AY upgrades

2. The value is always a personal thing. The flight is not that special, but lounge is in the package. I understand that in relation to what you have, 5k may seem much but in other terms 5k isn't very valuable.
If you only can upgrade one segment, I'd suggest HEL-CPH as you then will experience a Finnair operated lounge.
ffay005 and SierraAlphaMike like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
1. Timing and number of seats released to upgrades have for awhile been unpredicatble. You can study...

2. The value is always a personal thing. The flight is not that special, but lounge is in the package. I understand that in relation to what you have, 5k may seem much but in other terms 5k isn't very valuable.
If you only can upgrade one segment, I'd suggest HEL-CPH as you then will experience a Finnair operated lounge.
Thanks for the tip!
If it somehow becomes available on the HEL-CPH leg i will definitely do it for 5k points, seems like a good price as based on calculations I should value them at around 7euros/1k points.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
I would say 5k for HEL-CPH is a great deal because of the the lounge. You still get the meal and some champagne onboard too. You can queue for an upgrade too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.