Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SuloL
Not helping your query, but I find this one of the weirdest clauses on AY tickets if it is interpreted as it comes across. Why even provide the possibility to combine different fare classes for a return trip if you're making the rules based on the other.
The worst case scenario for this is when one of the legs is nearly sold out and only Pro tickets are available. You end up paying the Pro price for one leg, and yet it gets dragged down to Light/Value, unless you want to spend yet another EUR300 or whatever to get Pro for both legs.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
The worst case scenario for this is when one of the legs is nearly sold out and only Pro tickets are available. You end up paying the Pro price for one leg, and yet it gets dragged down to Light/Value, unless you want to spend yet another EUR300 or whatever to get Pro for both legs.
True, this makes the "flexilibity-value" of the Value ticket questionable. You wanna change, oh the price of wanted service has gone sky in price, fork it out man! Then, you wanna cancel, oh you pay the cancel fee which is reasonable if an expensive ticket from the beginning -> but then, why did you book an expensive ticket from the beginning, why did you not book a dirty cheap Light instead and throw it away or cancel and get some few euros taxes back -> less harm done than the cancel-fee-of-Value-ticket?

So, in the end conclusion is that Value ticket has no value for flexibility/cancel in fact. It has only some Value to bring you more status points if you are hunting status. nuff said?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by FFlash
+1. And in this case, the difference between Light and Value is 23€ per segment. Gone are the times when the difference was only 5€ (THAT was "value for points")
That time never existed. Before the introduction of Light tickets you likely got Basic tickets and there the difference is around 5€. Don't forget that you also get a bag when you compare Light and Value.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Newbie here

So the booking terms say "most restrictive terms apply for the ticket" -> does this mean that a return ticket with Light outbout and Value inbound renders the inbound segment actually non-changeable?

I would need such a ticket with flexibility on inbound, but outbound could be cheapest possible Light so saving euros there, but not sure. Anyone with experience in practice, or 100% know?

EDIT: in Finnish it says "
  • Jos hintoja yhdistetään, noudatetaan tiukinta peruutussääntöä."
I have done this many times buying Light for the outbound and Value/Pro for the inbound. IME I've always been able to change the inbound as per the Value/Pro rules.

The downside is that a partly Light ticket is totally non-refundable as explained by the terms.
FFlash likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS

Quite a difference in the meaning of the translation. If the rule only concerns cancellations as implied in the Finnish version, then it's not as bad.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:10 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Newbie here

So the booking terms say "most restrictive terms apply for the ticket" -> does this mean that a return ticket with Light outbout and Value inbound renders the inbound segment actually non-changeable?

I would need such a ticket with flexibility on inbound, but outbound could be cheapest possible Light so saving euros there, but not sure. Anyone with experience in practice, or 100% know?

IME, if any part of your ticket is "Light", all parts of your ticket is "Light" as for change/refund rules et.c. You only enjoy the perk of paying for Value...

It is interesting that others say they have been able to change/refund based on each segment rules, because then what is the purpose of the text "most restrictive terms apply"?!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by intuition
IME, if any part of your ticket is "Light", all parts of your ticket is "Light" as for change/refund rules et.c. You only enjoy the perk of paying for Value...

It is interesting that others say they have been able to change/refund based on each segment rules, because then what is the purpose of the text "most restrictive terms apply"?!
I think the purpose is in outbound / inbound differentiation. You can apply 2 different fares to 1 ticket, but not to 1 direction.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:07 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
This is very interesting. I have in the past stayed away from combining different fares rules on in- and out-bound segment because I've been told the worst terms apply for entire ticket.

This is from fare rules for such ticket (from a few years ago):
Penalties
THE MOST RESTRICTIVE REFUND CONDITIONS APPLY WHEN COMBINING ON A HALF ROUNDTRIP BASIS.
I've always read "COMBINING ON A HALF ROUNDTRIP BASIS" as the case when outbound segment is on one fare and inbound is on another. If so, then this seems to clearly say that if one segment is non-refundable or has a hefty refund penalty, then it doesn't matter if the other is fully refundable.

They may have changed standard rules since then, or I may read this wrong. but it would be interesting to get an authoritative answer to what gices.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by haapalainen
I have done this many times buying Light for the outbound and Value/Pro for the inbound. IME I've always been able to change the inbound as per the Value/Pro rules.

The downside is that a partly Light ticket is totally non-refundable as explained by the terms.
Thanks! This is is what I also thought after second thought and trusted I am fine. Bought ticket.

While on the english wording of my OP I just took it from my memory and the actual verbiage might be a bit different in english site, sorry for that!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, LH, Accor, IHG, Scandic, Tallink
A newbie question about upgrade:

I'm on the upgrade waitlist and the online check-in will open soon. If I check-in, does it affect (reduce) my chances to get upgraded? Would it be better to wait for a possible upgrade and check-in later? According to the Finnair's website, several seats in J seems to be available for both outgoing and return legs, but I'm still stuck on the waitlist.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by jann3
A newbie question about upgrade:

I'm on the upgrade waitlist and the online check-in will open soon. If I check-in, does it affect (reduce) my chances to get upgraded? Would it be better to wait for a possible upgrade and check-in later? According to the Finnair's website, several seats in J seems to be available for both outgoing and return legs, but I'm still stuck on the waitlist.
I had that situation, too. Due to the waitlisted upgrade, I couldn't use OLCI and had to go to the counter. The upgrade cleared there.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Teppo
I had that situation, too. Due to the waitlisted upgrade, I couldn't use OLCI and had to go to the counter. The upgrade cleared there.
I have one bad case of such, where waitlisted upgrade jammed the whole ticket it was not able to checkin and the checkin desk wasted all time left for lounge to recover the ticket. Finally upgraded but a totally crazy handling.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:07 am

I have one bad case of such, where waitlisted upgrade jammed the whole ticket it was not able to checkin and the checkin desk wasted all time left for lounge to recover the ticket. Finally upgraded but a totally crazy handling.
Same mess also happens on non-105 upgraded tickets (even when already cleared and reissued to F).
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by on22cz
Same mess also happens on non-105 upgraded tickets (even when already cleared and reissued to F).
My upgrades on non-105-tickets have been smooth, no issues at all. So it's not systematic.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
My upgrades on non-105-tickets have been smooth, no issues at all. So it's not systematic.
Glad to hear my chances of troubles are 50:50 again next time. Last time 2 upgrades, 2 problems (outbound and inbound of course).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.