Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
When buying a ticket, one can choose to pay the price partly with award points. This is is considered bad use for the points because of the bad value, but can someone give me an exact value for a points if one wants to use them this way? I would assume that the value is always the same in this procedure.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by kanamurva
When buying a ticket, one can choose to pay the price partly with award points. This is is considered bad use for the points because of the bad value, but can someone give me an exact value for a points if one wants to use them this way? I would assume that the value is always the same in this procedure.
It's easy to just check it yourself by making a mock reservation and using the slider at the payment page. It's very poor value.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:06 am

But is it always the same? Imo this is interesting because it's propably the only point value that one can measure unquestionably.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:12 pm

I did a dummy booking: 1point = 0,25cent. This means that 100€ is equivalent to 40000 points.

You get a better value for example by buying extra bag with points: 1 point = 0,33cent.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
But is it always the same? Imo this is interesting because it's propably the only point value that one can measure unquestionably.
Wouldn't Finnair's Balance Sheet have some kind of valuation of points?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:07 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
About the refund thing,
I vaguely remember having had the ”taxes” refunded straight off and the penalty only applied to the actual fare. Sure it was a refundable ticket, but if ”taxes” was a part of the sale, penalty ought to have been calculated on total sum.

It was years ago, policy can certainly have changed.

The reason why I think they need to repay ”taxes” is because they are forced t add them to the price, and are also forced to hand over exactly that sum to a third party (government, airport security and son on)
A cancelled ticket will not have a BP passi g through security and thus the airline wont be charged. Keeping those monies is not legal IMHO. YQ is one thing, but the mandatory taxes and fees cant be kept.
Just my 2 cents.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I did a dummy booking: 1point = 0,25cent. This means that 100€ is equivalent to 40000 points.

You get a better value for example by buying extra bag with points: 1 point = 0,33cent.
You (usually) get far better value when redeeming for AY flights or upgrades. I mostly use AY points for three things:
1. I buy FinnairShop vouchers online. €13,77 + 1000 points = €20 voucher for inflight sales. Monetary value is not the best but 1000 points is also very little. 1 point = 0.623 cents.
2. I upgrade longhaul flights. I value an upgrade at around €400, so 1 point = 0.8 cents
3. I buy European flights in Y when the cash price is over €300, depending on whether I need tier points or not. I've booked €600+ flights for 30k (1 point = 2 cents), but usually they're in the €350–€400 category

However, #3 does not work as a basis for mile value calculation for me because I would never buy that €600 cash ticket in reality. I travel for leisure and can decide when to go or whether to go at all. My average Euro Y ticket price that I pay is probably around €200, maybe even below that. Points do come in handy when I want to go somewhere last minute and there is availability (or they clear it for me), but in a case like that, to pay cash is not really an alternative.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
You (usually) get far better value when redeeming for AY flights or upgrades. I mostly use AY points for three things:
1. I buy FinnairShop vouchers online. €13,77 + 1000 points = €20 voucher for inflight sales. Monetary value is not the best but 1000 points is also very little. 1 point = 0.623 cents.
2. I upgrade longhaul flights. I value an upgrade at around €400, so 1 point = 0.8 cents
3. I buy European flights in Y when the cash price is over €300, depending on whether I need tier points or not. I've booked €600+ flights for 30k (1 point = 2 cents), but usually they're in the €350–€400 category

However, #3 does not work as a basis for mile value calculation for me because I would never buy that €600 cash ticket in reality. I travel for leisure and can decide when to go or whether to go at all. My average Euro Y ticket price that I pay is probably around €200, maybe even below that. Points do come in handy when I want to go somewhere last minute and there is availability (or they clear it for me), but in a case like that, to pay cash is not really an alternative.
Thanks for those calculations. As you mentioned, #3 depends on the price of the flight. Also #2 depends on the personal value that a person gives to a LH ug. Many "normal" people (most of whom have never done LH in J) would not pay 100€ for the upgrade. Some crazy FTer could pay 500€ just to try some new plane type. The point value depends highly on your preferences. Also #1 is questionable, because in order to get the full percentage value for those points, the stuff that you buy would need to cost exactly 20/40/60€. AND the price of that stuff would have to be competitive in comparison to outside world. The stuff from Finnair shop is propably easy to find cheaper in sales.

However, paying your flight ticket partly with points is the same money for everyone. That's why that price is interesting.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Also #1 is questionable, because in order to get the full percentage value for those points, the stuff that you buy would need to cost exactly 20/40/60€. AND the price of that stuff would have to be competitive in comparison to outside world. The stuff from Finnair shop is propably easy to find cheaper in sales.
If you buy a product that costs 25€ then you can use one 20€ voucher and pay the rest with card or cash, Nothing changes in the calculation.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
There are some hidden gems in the Finnair shop - e.g 100€ voucher at Fabrik restaurant for 60€ + 1000p (0,04€/p!) (and many others, too) You can use more points, but the return on the more point sharply decreases (ie not linear)

Also the Finnair voucher is best value at 100€ face value - something like 74,5€ +3000p (0,0085€/point)
remymartin likes this.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Feb 8, 2019 at 1:09 pm Reason: Corrected price of 100€ voucher
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Read in the other thread on exchanging award for tier points that you can exchange up to half the number of tier points needed to advance to the next tier.

I am at 60k tier points now. Exchanging 20k tier points will get me to gold but anyone knows if it’s possible to exchange more than what is required to advance to the next tier?

For my case, I am thinking of exchanging 40k tier points.I am able to accumulate 50k tier points but just 3 weeks before my tracking period ends so I am thinking of exchanging what is needed to get to platinum now so that I will be bumped up when the last segment posts. Read also that officially you can only do one exchange per tracking period so think it makes sense to do it now so I can already start making use of the gold perks.

Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:40 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
in your situation, you can only get half of total Gold requirement, ie 40 000 points.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by intuition
in your situation, you can only get half of total Gold requirement, ie 40 000 points.
Great! That’s just enough for my needs The extra 5% tier bonus will help too.

Btw is there a definitive timeframe of qualifying for platinum and still getting the vouchers and OW sapphire giveaway for the current tracking period. My last qualifying flight is 4 weeks before end of my tracking period so I figure it should post latest 3 weeks before. Is that a good enough buffer?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by mechu

Great! That’s just enough for my needs The extra 5% tier bonus will help too.

Btw is there a definitive timeframe of qualifying for platinum and still getting the vouchers and OW sapphire giveaway for the current tracking period. My last qualifying flight is 4 weeks before end of my tracking period so I figure it should post latest 3 weeks before. Is that a good enough buffer?
According to CS, one week is enough.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Probably not the right thread, but I am too lazy to open a new thread or search. I’m booked on AY5936, LHR-ARN operated by BA. Can’t check-in online, the BA app doesn’t recognize the booking code from AY. Is my only option to use the (fabulous) BA First check-in at LHR T5 tomorrow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.