Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue
My plan B is to call Customer Service and check if they have J by voucher, then ask them to book a Y award seat and upgrade to J. Kind of bypassing the system. This has worked most of the time.
Worked well this way the few times I needed that.

It's just a quirk (feature) that AY has different fare buckets for J-redemption and J-upgrade. With the voucher (and points, obviously) you can have whichever is available.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Worked well this way the few times I needed that.

It's just a quirk (feature) that AY has different fare buckets for J-redemption and J-upgrade. With the voucher (and points, obviously) you can have whichever is available.
Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue
this comes in very handy if the flight appears not to have award seats left (in Y). My plan B is to call Customer Service and check if they have J by voucher, then ask them to book a Y award seat and upgrade to J. Kind of bypassing the system. This has worked most of the time.
Negative. For me at least. Or I should have HUACA once I tried this. The agent could not book me since Y was full where she tried to get a space to start with and then upgrade. Maybe HUACA could have worked if you are sure it works.
Another inconsistent proof of AY agents.

Also a warning for a (very rare) case from other way around: if you want to downgrade yourself back from upgraded F, it may not work if Y is full. Happened me once that I wanted to save upgrade for later and asked to be put back. No go. Y was full, so I had to remain in J (oh so bad...). Mentally I first accepted the fact but then I got annoyed as I saw at boarding the Y cabin was oversold and there were people op-upped to J.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
I think this is a grey area in the lounge access policy, but does anyone have expierence how does the codeshare & lounge access work with AY & 3K or HX in SIN & HKG?

Looking for flights to DPS and there's no reasonable CX connections.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
I posted a similar question a while ago about a PG operated AY marketed flight from SIN. The verdict was that there is no lounge access unless flying business. I didn't try it out.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:13 am

At least AY marketed TP operated flights give lounge access in Helsinki and Lisbon.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: AY+ Silver, IHG Gold Elite
This might be a super stupid question but I've got a mixed opinion with my co-worker and what else would be a better place to solve it than FT.

Question is regarding Lounge access when OW Sapphire. If I have a BAEC Silver (OWS) and I am flying Finnair Y and crediting points to AY+. Am I allowed lounge access?

Or do I need to use BAEC Silver on my BP to gain access?

In my understand it is enough if I have OW flight and I show the BAEC Silver when accessing lounge?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Vesseli
This might be a super stupid question but I've got a mixed opinion with my co-worker and what else would be a better place to solve it than FT.

Question is regarding Lounge access when OW Sapphire. If I have a BAEC Silver (OWS) and I am flying Finnair Y and crediting points to AY+. Am I allowed lounge access?

Or do I need to use BAEC Silver on my BP to gain access?

In my understand it is enough if I have OW flight and I show the BAEC Silver when accessing lounge?
BP and card can be presented separately for lounge access. So yes, your understanding is correct.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: AY+ Silver, IHG Gold Elite
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
BP and card can be presented separately for lounge access. So yes, your understanding is correct.
Thanks for the quick reply and help!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
This may be the case in HEL, but I would be careful at outstations. Once at DPS the lounge dragons went on to replace my AY FF number which was in the BP already with my AB number when I wanted to use the QR lounge there (with AB Gold). I specifically asked them not to touch the FF number but they did it without informing me. There was some language barrier, too...
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Both calculators seem to regard TSE as Europe: a Value ticket earns 2000 points one way and a redemption is 40 000 in Y.

But when trying to book award flights, the booking engine wants 48 000 points (which, by the way, would equal two one ways).
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
I'm going to fly from MAD and LHR in J. Do I understand it correctly that I can chose any OW business lounge? AY only lists other third party lounges.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by Jainzar
I'm going to fly from MAD and LHR in J. Do I understand it correctly that I can chose any OW business lounge? AY only lists other third party lounges.
Yes you can.

BA lounge in MAD might be in non-Schengen area and thus not easy to access. Never been there myself so not sure about this. But at LHR you have the three OW options.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Hartsa
Yes you can.

BA lounge in MAD might be in non-Schengen area and thus not easy to access. Never been there myself so not sure about this. But at LHR you have the three OW options.
There is no BA lounge at MAD, only IB ones.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by reflektia
At least AY marketed TP operated flights give lounge access in Helsinki and Lisbon.
Likewise, AY-marketed AF-operated flights give lounge access. AY is even listed explicitly at the entrance of CDG 2F lounges.

Originally Posted by reflektia
I think this is a grey area in the lounge access policy, but does anyone have expierence how does the codeshare & lounge access work with AY & 3K or HX in SIN & HKG?
I am not aware of a codeshare agrement between AY and HX. Did I miss that? (I know 3K was announced a few months ago.)
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Likewise, AY-marketed AF-operated flights give lounge access. AY is even listed explicitly at the entrance of CDG 2F lounges.

I am not aware of a codeshare agrement between AY and HX. Did I miss that? (I know 3K was announced a few months ago.)
Not quite a code share agreement, but AY does sell HX tickets from HKG. If you e.g. check tickets from HEL to DPS, very likely you'll be offered those. As I've just mentioned the other day, I don't understand why AY is partnering with those airlines, when they could easily pair up w/ CX, who serves all those destinations, either on their own, or via KA...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.