Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Or €60 as DEL is one of the "short" long haul flights.
No, app shows 65€or 15000 points.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by niksal
I've booked in the summer a HEL-KTT flight and now noticed the number AY 4559. I've never encounter 4-series before. What are those? According to the Finnair Plus webpage, those don't even earn points?

Booked via AY's own page.
A few AY domestic flights, mainly to Northern Finland have a 4-digit flight number occasionally, but if you booked via AY webpages you should have the ticket type (basic/value/pro?) quoted accordingly. The AY Plus webpage is somewhat confusing with the accrual points and this 4000 domestic series is excluded from the first accrual table, must be a glitch. Check the ticket type or fare basis, these 4-digit domestic flights are not that uncommon.

BTW, AY will introduce a new flight numbering scheme starting next winter period in October and most of the current flight numbers will be altered.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Yes, Value ticket bought. I guess I could shoot a mail to plat service and ask.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Congratulations!
Thanks!

I do have another question

I just upgraded 2 european flights using my vouchers. Class code is now F from Value, which doesnt earn any miles.

Does that mean everytime we ugrade, we dont get any miles to AY+? Or will they still credit AY+ miles based on the original ticket booked?

Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by supatight80
Does that mean everytime we ugrade, we dont get any miles to AY+? Or will they still credit AY+ miles based on the original ticket booked?
Yes, crediting according to the original ticket type / fare class.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
In my experience, flight numbers 4xxx are assigned to irregular flights, such as last minute change of operating carrier, one-time charter and such.

It happened to me when a flight switched from FC-operated (back then) to AY-operated when check-in had already opened. They forgot to mention that you had to recheck-in.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by supatight80
Thanks!

I do have another question

I just upgraded 2 european flights using my vouchers. Class code is now F from Value, which doesnt earn any miles.

Thanks!
Assuming that the ticket was issued as 105-something. Check the fare basis.

If it starts with W, it is a Campaign fare and earning is 25% (presumably also A and G, but I am not sure if there exists any listed fare for those).

Otherwise, skip the original booking class letter and any optional seasonal code: H for high, L for low. You should find the fare type: LI for Light (50%), BA for Basic or Light+bag (50%), VA for Value (100%) and PR for Pro (150%).
Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:55 pm

Early check-in for Finnair Business in SIN?

Hi,

I'm flying out on a late SIN -> HEL flight in Business & was hoping to spend a few hours napping at one of the transit hotels before making my way to a lounge for whatever I do when I'm hanging around lounges waiting.

So my question is: how early will I be able to check-in (and drop bags) before my departure? I believe that AY used to use dnata's premium check-in lounge, however the last reference I can find to this is from 2012? I've attempted to get an answer from Finnair but all I've gotten thus far (not resorted to the phone yet) is a somewhat cryptic 'check-in opens at least 3 hours before departure'

Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by fuzfly
Hi,

I'm flying out on a late SIN -> HEL flight in Business & was hoping to spend a few hours napping at one of the transit hotels before making my way to a lounge for whatever I do when I'm hanging around lounges waiting.

So my question is: how early will I be able to check-in (and drop bags) before my departure? I believe that AY used to use dnata's premium check-in lounge, however the last reference I can find to this is from 2012? I've attempted to get an answer from Finnair but all I've gotten thus far (not resorted to the phone yet) is a somewhat cryptic 'check-in opens at least 3 hours before departure'

Thanks
It means that check-in opens about 3 hours before departure, which means around 21:00.

And that is how it worked atleast couple months ago, no possiblity to check-in (or drop bags) on counters before that. IIRC then it opened around 20:40.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
I was searching HEL-SFO flights for Sept 2017 today around 4pm and found direct AY flights for ~350€ (from AY.com, O booking class) but was not able to book them as had to run for a meeting. Now that I got home price has doubled back to "normal".

There were also some SkyTeam flights around the same price range but now those are also gone.. I can still see some ghost results in Momondo/Skyscanner results for some OTA's so it wasn't just my imagination..

Is this normal competition between alliances/ventures that prices fluctuate so much and they match each other? Is there a way to see historic prices, does some robots record them?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Furry
Is this normal competition between alliances/ventures that prices fluctuate so much and they match each other? Is there a way to see historic prices, does some robots record them?
IMO airlines do try to match their prices with competitors, I once looked at flights HEL-OUL and AY's price (oneway) was €28.57 vs DY €29.

I have no idea of finding historic prices though.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:31 pm

Economy Comfort

Is it possible to book economy comfort for free if I'm a oneworld sapphire member. Finnair's official policy is no but I read online in multiple places that you can. If not how likely is an upgrade (JFK-HEL in July)?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mario23

Is it possible to book economy comfort for free if I'm a oneworld sapphire member. Finnair's official policy is no but I read online in multiple places that you can. If not how likely is an upgrade (JFK-HEL in July)?
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the Finnair forums,

It is a former benefit that AY Gold and other Sapphires got complimentary Comfort seats but it has been cut.

You can ask nicely at the gate or check in counter but I doubt it'll work.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the Finnair forums,

It is a former benefit that AY Gold and other Sapphires got complimentary Comfort seats but it has been cut.

You can ask nicely at the gate or check in counter but I doubt it'll work.
My Sapphire status expires before my flight. If I select a seat for free now will I still have it for the flight or will I have to pay for it?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mario23
My Sapphire status expires before my flight. If I select a seat for free now will I still have it for the flight or will I have to pay for it?
You should still have it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.